Recent Topics      
YMR logo

You are here:  Your Model Railway Club > Reference Area. > Glossary > Glossary T - V To bottom of page

 Moderated by: Spurno
Start New Topic Reply Printer Friendly

Glossary T - V - Glossary - Reference Area. - Your Model Railway Club
 Posted: Sat Dec 15th, 2007 03:37 pm
link to this 1st post
Legacy Member

Joined: Sat Oct 13th, 2007
Location: Benidorm, Alicante, Spain
Posts: 12264

My photos:
view photos in Gallery
view photos as slides

Tablet : A device serving the same purpose as a staff but being in the shape of a flat disc.
Tag Strip : A means of joining several wires to a common conductor, such as in a common return system. The wires must be soldered to the tag strip.
Tank Engine : A steam locomotive that carries its fuel and water supply in tanks hung over or alongside the boiler or on a frame extension at the rear instead of in a tender.
Target (1) : The round disc, which is part of the indication on a ground signal.
Target (2) : A large disc, usually red in colour, which is attached to the gates of a level crossing so that they may be seen from a distance.
Tempera : Pigment mixed with water-soluble glutinous materials such as size and egg yolk' 
Tender : A railway vehicle which is permanently coupled to a steam locomotive, and in which water and fuel are carried.
Terminal Block : A means of joining two wires with screw terminals, useful to avoid soldering.
Third Rail : An extra rail mounted alongside the running rails to supply current for electric locomotives or traction cars.
Three-Way Point : Two interlaced sets of points whose combination branches one track into three tracks.
Tie Bar : A bar joining two points blades together.
Token : Another term for a staff or tablet.
Track Gauge (1) : A device for setting the rails of a track the required distance apart.
Track Gauge (2) : The distance between the inside contact faces of the running rails of a track. The standard track gauge used in the UK is 4 foot 8� inches.
Track Mile : Unit of measure used to indicate how much track is between two places.
e.g. Ten route miles of single track would be the same as 10 track miles, but 10 route miles of quadruple (4 lines) track would be 40 track miles.
Track Possession : Temporary closure of a section of track to normal traffic for maintenance purposes.
Tracksetta : TrackSetta rigid templates are machined metal and fit snugly between the rails of your flexible track, holding it at the desired radius. Slots in the template allow track pins to be inserted, securing the track in position and allowing the template to be moved forward, shaping the next section of track ready for pinning. The range includes N and OO/HO track templates for the most common curve radii, plus straight track templates to keep your tracks straight and parallel. These really are the easy way to avoid doglegs and kinks when laying flexible track.
Tractive Effort : A calculated mean drawbar-pull which a locomotive could exert when working at maximum capacity. Frictional losses in the locomotive itself and its tender (if any) are neglected when formulating tractive effort.
Trailer Car : A coach on a multiple-unit train which does not incorporate driving motors.
Trailing Point : A turnout with its points facing away from the direction of travel.
Train Shed : That area of a railway station in which the platforms and tracks are under the cover of a roofed structure.
Transformer : Changes high-voltage 110/220/240-volt AC house current into low-voltage AC current to power your DC/DCC system.
Transition Curve : A curve in a length of railway track in which the entrance and exit to the curve are of larger radius of curvature than the centre of the curve.
Trap Points : A point which is used to deliberately derail vehicles that pass over it when set against them. Typically used to protect running lines from runaways in sidings, it being safer to derail vehicles at slow speed than to allow them onto running lines where they could collide with trains running at higher speeds. See also catch points.
Traverser : A length of railway track secured to a framework which may be moved transversely along rails. Such a device is sometimes constructed outside a wide locomotive-shed so that a locomotive entering from a single approach track can move onto the traverser and then be moved sideways to line up with any one of the shed lines. The purpose of such an arrangement is to save the space needed for a fan of points. Traversers might also be used for the transverse movement of goods vehicles or coaches.
Tri-composite : A carriage with seats for First, Second and Third Class ticket holders. This type of coach is represented in preservation by a LSWR Tri-composite Brake carriage in the National Railway Museum. Second class was abolished, with the exception of Boat trains, in the early years of the century. The Midland Railway started the trend by upgrading all their third-class seats to second-class standard. In 1956 Third Class was re-named "Second", and then again more recently as "Standard".
Tumblehome : The curve inwards towards the bottom of the sides of a carriage body. Does not apply to vehicles such as SR Bulleid or BR standard stock which have a continuous curve.
Turntable : A length of railway track secured to a pivoted framework which may rotate 360 about a central axis.
Turnouts : Another word for track points and the one most commonly used by modellers.

Up Line : That line of a multi-track main line where the direction of travel is towards the major city (see also down line).
Upper quadrant signal : A semaphore signal in which the signal arm is raised from the horizontal to give a clear indication.

Van : A roofed railway goods-vehicle.
Vestibule : The area at the end of corridor and saloon coaches, from which access may be gained to the side corridor or central passageway, outside doors, W.C. (if any), and corridor connection to the next coach (if any).
Viaduct : A railway structure which is used to carry railway tracks above the general level of the ground and is usually made up of a continuous series of bridges or trestles.
Volt : A unit of electrical pressure. Commonly, 0 to 9 volts of DC are used for Z scale model railroading, 0 to 14 volts DC for N, HO and 00 scale, and 0 to 20 volts DC for large-scale model railroading.


Back To Top PMQuoteReply

This is topic ID = 949     Current time is 12:40 am  
You are here:  Your Model Railway Club > Reference Area. > Glossary > Glossary T - V
You can type a quick reply to this topic here. Click in the box below to begin.

Or to reply to an individual post, or to include images, attachments and formatted text,
click the Quote or Reply buttons on each post above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start New Topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.
Start New Topic

Back to top of page

15 Most Recent Topic

Problems with this web site? Please contact the Webmaster.

All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted.
Unless stated otherwise, all the material displayed on this web site, including all text, photographs, drawings and other images, is copyright and the property of the respective contributor. Registered members are welcome to use it for their own personal non-commercial modelmaking purposes. It must not be reproduced or re-published elsewhere in any form, or used commercially, without first obtaining the owner's express permission.
The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.    © 2008


Recent Topics Back to top of page

Powered by UltraBB 1.15 Copyright © 2007-2011 by Jim Hale and Data 1 Systems. Page design copyright © 2008-2013 Martin Wynne. Photo gallery copyright © 2009 David Williams.