4 X 7 ½ ft. Caledonian Layout

Posted
Rating:

This is my very fist layout and I have always wanted one, so I'm very happy to share it with all of you!

That worked Darius - I can see it in France. :thumbs:thumbs

What have you got there - an outer circuit with 2 inner sidings ?

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:Happy:Happy:Happy  After years of waiting!!!!!!!!! it finally worked!!!!!!! woooohoooooooooooOoo!!!!!!!! :brickwall:brickwall :doublethumb:doublethumb:doublethumb:chicken:chicken:chicken:pathead:pathead:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs:mutley:mutley:mutley

As you can tell I'm really Happy…

- Darius

Posted
Rating:
well maybe not YEARS...... but is sure felt like it

- Darius

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ooooooo. i see the start of a layout on some nice sturdy baseboards ! Looks like Granddad's voucher came good then . I take it he's made the bed as well:doublethumb

Looking good Darius

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
No matt, that was my old baseboard, my new one is even better! that one we… Threw out. And also, sadly my track is still in a boat someplace! But it's slowly coming

- Darius

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
It sure looked good so I can't wait to see the new one when your things arrive. Petermac could see it from France and I can hear you from Scotland.

Have fun Darius

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1710]D_Will[/user] wrote:
No matt, that was my old baseboard, my new one is even better! that one we… Threw out. And also, sadly my track is still in a boat someplace! But it's slowly coming
Thought I recognised that layout Darius :thumbs

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
OK Darius , looking forward to seeing pictures of your new one once the rest of your gear arrives. How about a picture of the new baseboards to wet our appetites ?

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Gary and all Members  Will the track require track pins? and how on earth do you get them into plywood without bending them, or yourself for that matter??
                      Passed Driver

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi Gary and all Members  Will the track require track pins? and how on earth do you get them into plywood without bending them, or yourself for that matter??
Passed Driver
I use an Archimedes drill.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/archimedes-drill

The bits (drills),you can buy from your model shop.

I use 0.5 mm for Peco track pins/

Drill down until you only have to drive the pin the last few mm.

I use a tack hammer - and a punch with a concave tip for the last little bit.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Darius,

Hopefully your track arrives quicker than my magnets from China.

Passed Driver

Track pins - can be used to either to permanently fix the track down, or to temporarily hold it down while the glue sets.
To put the pins into plywood, you can use a pin vice and small drill to drill a pilot hole in the plywood through the hole in the sleeper.

Paul

Posted
Rating:
Sorry for all the confusion folks! That is not my current baseboard, that was my old one, Yes Petermac that was the track layout before I ordered the rest of my track. I just grabbed the first photo I saw in my gallery. Hi passed driver, I used Very small track pins from Roco, and stuck them in through my cork, and foam. The pins only went that deep. The track sleepers/ties already had holes in them.

Anyways, Here are my promised photos!

Th Noch castle ruins I was telling you all about. I haven't taken it out of the packaging yet as I want it to stay safe.

The label on it, Just in case you were wondering.

This is my bed/Ikea Trofast/bookshelf. I have some really cool color changing lights under the baseboard.

The edging you see around the edge of the table is one inch off the surface, I am going to have one inch risers for the track to sit on that way I can create some dips in between the track. The other end of my baseboard it exactly the same -shelves, So not too much there!

Well I wish I could post more, But I don't have much else to say sadly! Well actually my train, rolling stock and track are supposed to arrive on the 28th of March.:thud

Bubbye!

Last edit: by D_Will

- Darius

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Darius,

That's a fantastic baseboard you have there. Really cool. No draughty old shed for you. Right above your bed.:thumbs

Not to long to wait for your trains and things and then you can get started again. Lucky you.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Great setup Darius.  You'll have to get Grandad to make you a tall stool so you can operate in comfort………….:roll::roll::roll:

It's an excellent idea to raise your track a bit - landform was both above and below track level. :thumbs:thumbs   If you raised it around 3 inches rather than just 1, you could have roads passing under the track. :hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Nice one Darius,Best of luck with your new railway.
Derek.

Posted
Rating:
Banned
That is one cool set up you have there and one great Grandfather to build this for you. :thumbs 

This is something I would have dreamed about having many, many years ago, when I first started with model railways. ;-)

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
HI Darius,
While you are waiting, perhaps you could do a little bit of planning/drawing track plans, having a go at making some Tudor building prints rather than rely on a kit to be stuck on to foamcore or perhaps pre make some of your scenery ala my website http://www.xdford.digitalzones.com/quicklayoutconstruction06.html while you are waiting for your stuff to arrive. At least you have a good base to start,]

Good Luck
Trevor 

Last edit: by xdford

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Well now that looks great Darius !  " Proper job ' by your Grandad . Can you skoot under the baseboard to reach things at the back ?  ( by the window )

I'm getting the impression your about to explode with excitement as your train stuff is nearly here !!

Looking forward to seeing more pictures in the future

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Everybody!
Thanks for all the kind comments on my last post. Peter, The black rim around the edge was designed to be at the height of the risers, and I don't think I want under-track tunnels. Thanks for the link Trevor. I'll check it out and I'm sure it'll be useful. My oh my Matt, You had a good eye! Yes you are right, I do have a control station behind the train table that is about a foot and a half wide. Here is a picture:

Last edit: by D_Will

- Darius

Posted
Rating:
Update Time! I'm going to break this update into two or three separate post since this is the third time I'm writing this. Let's hope it works.

Over the past week I've been collecting stuff for my trains, and on the weekend, I went down to Washington state for my adopted grandma's 80th birthday party. Anyways, Under each picture there is a caption describing what the pic is about.

Here is all the stuff except the foam core.

A brand new Thomas & Friends breakdown crane Its a very nice model and I would Give it a five out of five.

It has very good detail on it and is a brownish colour.

When lifting things, the crane has very nice balance, and the two knobs on the side are for lifting the jib and hook up/down.

This is just part one, I'm going to post part two in a couple of minutes here.

- Darius
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.