4 X 7 ½ ft. Caledonian Layout

Posted
Rating:

This is my very fist layout and I have always wanted one, so I'm very happy to share it with all of you!

Ok thanks! I'll test that when I get home because now I'm on holidays
in Canada

- Darius
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ok, so I have moved into a nice home with my family at Davis Bay on the Sunshine Coast (Canada, not Australia). I am happy to say we are one block from the beach and half an hour away from my grandparent's place instead of 30 hours. I have my own room with a desk, a bed, a ikea shelving unit and…. A train table! Well… actually I don't have a bed or a train table yet but we are going to build them. I am going to have a 8 x 4 train table with a twin sized bed and small bookshelf underneath it. For Christmas my Grandpa gave me a train table certificate (the supplies and labor for 1 8 x 4 train table. I have shipped my loco, rolling stock scenery and track. This is all I have time for today but I will post soon!

P.S. Are there any more modelers that live on the Sunshine Coast?

- Darius

Posted
Rating:
Hello Darius,
Very nice of your Grandpa to provide the certificate and great news that you are now a lot closer to him.
Have you started thinking of a track plan?

cheers
Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Hi Darius

I guess we are neighbours……..not the Sunshine Coast ………but North Van:lol:  In the context of this  forum thats pretty close.

I will be following your thread with great interest.

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Hi Darius,

I bet you're itching for that box of locos, rollingstock & scenery to arrive ! You should be able to build quite a nice little layout on the 8' x 4' baseboard. Mighty kind of Grandpa to help with the baseboard build. Will be following your build with interest.

Cheers, Gary.

ps. Better let Grandpa commission the first train on the new layout when it's complete ! ;-);-)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Darius, exciting times ahead ! Looking forward to seeing your progress once you get the new baseboard. So is that your first decision ??  Bed or baseboard first !

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Darius,

Looks like your going to be busy. Remember and post some pictures once you get started.

Good luck and have fun.

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Wow guys! I wasn't expecting this many replies! thanks! It's encouraging to see so many of you interested in this. Marty, I'm going to be doing something very similar from last time, a double loop with a small fiddle yard section and a few sidings. yeah John :) It's nice to have someone so close for once! True Gary, except I only have one loco and a bit of rolling stock, but that doesn't matter! actually what I really want is the Hornby limited edition caledonian single wheeler, but the cheapest I've seen it was 260 dollars. I really, really, really want it and I'll get it sometime but right now I need to spend my money on scenery and such. Yeah last time my table was 4 x 7 1/2 feet and it was still huge. My Grandpa is an excellent woodworker, so I'm not worried at all, in fact he used to build boats when he was younger! Matt, their' going to be built together but I'm hoping it'll be baseboard… :lol Ok Toto, this time I'm determined to get My pics in here! I've previously had heaps of trouble over posting photos, but I can use my mom's computer… Also today, I have some very exciting new! (for me at least, I bought the noch castle ruins:

//www.ebay.com/itm/HO-1-87-scale-Noch-PRE-BUILT-CASTLE-RUINS-58602-for-Layout-or-Dioramas-New-/161605142411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a06ac78b

*huge link!*

It was 37 bucks and I'll post some picks when it arrives. I'm going to use it for my lake side scottish castle (my layout is Scottish highlands, that's why I want the caledonian single) That's about all but If any of you know of a OO gauge tudor house for sale, that would be great. I've looked but can't really find any beside the railway man's arms from Hornby

That's all for now!

Last edit: by D_Will

- Darius

Posted
Rating:
hmmm…. if you can't find any Tudor houses to buy you could always try scratch building them in card.
Or maybe Robyn can negotiate with Robyn to build some for you! She's a whizz at buildings and super fast. :lol:

Plenty of help for you on line here if you want to give it a go. Start with something simple like a four walled cow shed or railway shed to see if you like it.

Like the sound of the castle and the Caledonian Line… put your Christmas order in now… gives 'em time to save up.

cheers
Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Word of warning about the Caledonian Single Darius, it's doesn't always run very well.

The pick-ups on the front pony truck wheels tend to stop the wheels turning as it's very light, and if you slacken the pick-ups off so that the wheels turn you lose electrical contact. The engine then tends to keep stopping as it has to rely on just the back wheels for picking up power.

(There are pick-up contacts on the main driving wheels as well, but they have traction tyres and don't really work.)

That said, it's a lovely looking model which is why I bought one.

Edit: I've put a picture of mine in my gallery.

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Posted
Rating:
Yeah that's a good idea Marty, I want to buy the scalescenes church, but I'm going to start with something easier like a barn! Thanks Ed, that's something to keep in mind. I think it doesn't really put me off, but I will have to consider that. I think how I'm going to get it (if I do) is by putting aside 100 $ now and keeping the rest for other supplies, but slowly save up to that. She looks really nice next to the 'ol Belle. Does anyone know of any other OO gauge Caledonian Locos? Also anybody know of any good deals on rolling stock/locos? I was looking a bit last night and I found it depressing how much money they all are, but I still want my layout to look great! I don't mind used, I just need more. HALP! Seriously though I do need rolling stock/locos.

P.S. I'll only be posting about this kind of stuff for a while until we get some work done on the train table!

- Darius

Posted
Rating:
Hi Darius

If you are wanting to model in the Caley period, you are more limited, as the majority of models available are kits and at the high end.
However this may be of interest

Bodyline Locomotive Kits Page 3

The caley tank, I had one of these many years ago, and the body kit fitted onto a Triang Hornby 3F Jinty. Not sure what the current version needs to complete.
Although not Caley, you could use some of the Ratio LNWR and MR coach kits, many would have been run on Caley rails as through workings.

The Model Shop for Big Imaginations | Gaugemaster

Hope this helps

Paul

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Paul! I was going to make my layout a "What if" and make it like the CR got bigger and was more like LMS or SR. I would need to repaint some locos to do that. but thats another project for another day! :lol: As for the links, I'll check them out! thanks!

- Darius

Posted
Rating:
Banned
You said you were looking for a Tudor house. I haven't found a house but I have found a Tudor pub kit and it is free to down load. This could possibly be kit bashed into a house with a little time and care.

See here : http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk/townscene.html  Scroll down 3/4 of the page (The Old Oak Pub).

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Darius

Saw this while at the show, so took a piccy for you.

Paul

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
I noticed there is a Tudor house a couple of rows before the pub, on the left of the page. Hope that is of some use?

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney

Posted
Rating:
You could always modernise and become the L.N.E.R. .............:roll::roll::pedal

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I'ma back! Thanks Gary. I contacted her. And I might try that pub! Thanks Paul! Good idea Trevor! I might test that eventually. Thanks Barney. I had built those in greece, but Only one of them looked realistic enough. I could always modify it though… MMWWWWUUUUUHHHAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!!!!! eeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…………………. no thanks Peter :tongue

- Darius

Posted
Rating:
Ok quickly I'm going to try  and post a photo, so yeah!

Hopefully that worked! later I'll post a proper update! Please let me know if you can see it!

- Darius
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.