Factory chimneys

Posted
Rating:

Why no tapered round ones?

I can't remember how you made that Doug - or if you ever told us ……………:roll::roll:

Foam board to me, is board with a foam core.  Can one buy just the foam ?  As I looked at your chimney, I wondered if oasis - that stuff used by flower arrangers - could be used in this application…………:hmm   It's a bit soft and therefore could easily be damaged but I'd guess it's easy to carve. :roll:  In fact, didn't one of our members -  "Myansome" -  make his buildings out of it ……?

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Petermac

I may be wrong here but I suspect that the foamboard was cut into discs and layered up so you get individual courses and only have to scribe the verticals. not a good plan for brickwork as you need 1mm thick board for 00 and 0.5mm for N. It would be fine for a stone built chimney like the Cornish engine house though.

Jim

Because, except in some unfortunate circumstances, trains did not run on town centre streets

Posted
Rating:

Here's one I've done recently the copy a Cornish engine house in layered  foam board , scribed with a sharp pencil. Moved on to the adjoining  walls and lost interest….The tapered brick top was the most enjoyable  part. Memories of the Carn Brae trip in 2010, seems a long time ago now.

Peter,

As above in red. I stacked up some 5mm foam board, peeled off the paper outside layers * and with a reference photo set to with a very sharp 2H pencil.

In retrospect I'd have peeled all the layers as the  stiffness of the edges of the paper in the laminations was a PITA.

Doug

* [top tip - if reluctant to peel, either a.  leave in a damp place for 6months OR warm gently with an iron set on 'silk' setting. Best done when SWMBO is out shopping, or getting her hair done or what ever women do that cost so much…]

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
[user=1339]The Bankie[/user] wrote:
Petermac

I may be wrong here but I suspect that the foamboard was cut into discs and layered up so you get individual courses and only have to scribe the verticals. not a good plan for brickwork as you need 1mm thick board for 00 and 0.5mm for N. It would be fine for a stone built chimney like the Cornish engine house though.

Jim

No, Jim, see above. Vertical slices, like Cleopatra's Needle then sanded to a tapering cylindrical shape.

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Hi Doug

Same size same shape different orientation.:oops: I did not go back and read your description. I just answered Petermacs query.
You could have saved yourself a lot of sanding if you had done a conic projection, said the guy who sticks the dimensions into AutoCAD and lets the programme do the work, and scribed/cut through to the inner layer of paper after removing the outer layer then rolled the whole thing up.

That said the model is superb anyway but I'm trying to sort things out for us duffers.

Regards
Jim

Because, except in some unfortunate circumstances, trains did not run on town centre streets

Posted
Rating:
If it is of any interest, I have several more useful photos of each elevation of Higher Bal Engine house, Cornwall, scaleable from a 5'-4" SWMBO stood next to some…

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.