Early Triang Australian Models

Posted
Rating:
#175137 (In Topic #9896)
Banned

Remember these ??

Today I went through an old box and cleaned up some locomotives, coaches and wagons. All this stock was intended for the Australian market way back around 1960 onwards. Most of it is pretty generic and was also sold in Canada, although the locos had varying liveries.

The above 6 locos are very generic. I have 4 of them running after a little TLC, namely the top 2, one yellow 'Switcher' and the non-damage blue loco. The closest livery for an Australian locomotive is the blue double nosed diesel. This is Triangs rendition of a Victorian Railways B Class loco. Not bad for the time, even if the real loco is Co-Co and not Bo-Bo…!

Locomotive and coaches. I did think that I had some silver coaches the same as these, but they must have dissapeared many years ago.

These have to be the most generic of all wagons produced by Triang for all markets. Quite a few of these came in a trainset, and a few would have been purchased seperately.

Again, very generic wagons. The two London Brick wagons, three fuel wagons and two flat wagons I will keep as they are excellent models with some great detail and they only need new bogies and couplers. What I haven't photographed is the 4 wheel grain hoppers. I have seven of these stashed away and used on Jacks Corner (Continuous Loop).

Cheers, Gary.

Last edit: by Gary

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
They bring back the memories Gary.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Triang made some fairly decent stuff Gary, particularly given the era.

We had a sizeable collection of Triang stuff - I never like the Hornby Doublo 3 rail stuff - but we sold it all to fund a slot car racing period in our lives.

I wonder how many of us have regrets about getting rid of our "toys" as we grew up.  My Dinky Toy collection would be worth a bomb today ……………………………:cry::cry:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
As Peter stated, I do regret selling my Tri-ang stock but it was a case of children first!

I deeply regret getting rid of a CKD "Electra" and a 50 year service presentation "Britannia" complete with Brass pieces that was so beautiful and took all my savings to buy initially!  (It was presented to an employee who unfortunately died a week later, he had lived next door to me, his eldest son sold it to me!)

I wonder what it would be worth today?

Regards, Peter.

Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little all would be done!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
They were certainly meant to last that's for sure.
Model railways certainly have come a long way.

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
The thing I've been missing most recently is Meccano.

Lost count of the amount of times I've thought, if only I had one of those short green flat bars, or a Meccano nut and bolt, or one of those pulleys and axles……………………………………..

Doh exclam: :thud

Posted
Rating:
Meccano is still thriving Peter - one of our members runs a Meccano forum and yes, you're dead right - wonderful stuff it was.  I always yearned after the No 10 set with that huge crane on the box. :roll:  I have a friend out here who's a toy collector - he has 2 No 10 sets - 1 of which is as it was sold - all the little bags of nuts and bolts etc. and in a large wooden case. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Meccano is still thriving Peter - one of our members runs a Meccano forum and yes, you're dead right - wonderful stuff it was.  I always yearned after the No 10 set with that huge crane on the box. :roll:  I have a friend out here who's a toy collector - he has 2 No 10 sets - 1 of which is as it was sold - all the little bags of nuts and bolts etc. and in a large wooden case. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Happy days.I can't remember which one i had but like most of us it seems i had one and it probably helped us in retrospect in our modelling skills.I wonder how the kids of today will manage.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Kids these days are too busy texting, sexting, twittering, facebooking all their imaginery friends…! :???:  Far too busy for Meccano, model railways, slot cars and pretty much anything where they need to pick up a tool !

I guess that's where I'm lucky and my two boys (although only 6 & 8) want to play trains, cars, lego, jigsaws etc. Hopefully they will want to do the same in 5-10 years time ! :roll:

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
[user=878]Gary[/user] wrote:
…………………………………………… Hopefully they will want to do the same in 5-10 years time ! :roll:

…………………….
Well don't buy them an iPhone Gary …………..:thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Gary
Are all three coaches in the second photo actually the same length? It looks like the top one is somewhat shorter than the lower two but that may be an optical illusion with the photo,
Just Interested
Regards
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Hi Trevor,

It's magic I say, the camera is trickier than the eye ! Yes all coaches are the same length. Now that you mentioned it, looking back at the last pic, the red hoppers look to be N scale and the front 4 wheel wagon looks to be OO gauge. I guess that I know that they are OO, but never paid attention to the 'fools eye' of the photograph !

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Gary,

Steer clear of the dreaded play station or x box. The two biggest brain killers ever produced. Just encourages laziness and stunts mind growth.

I always preach books. You can never get the kids reading enough in my opinion. Encourages curiosity and interest and leaves you with a thirst  for knowledge in my opinion anyway.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I'm with you on that Tom,i also think by reading you absorb more information.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Old though some of this Triang stuff is, it is still running and much more reliable that some of the newer offerings. All right, the detail is not there but can you imagine a new Bachmann or Hornby loco running satisfactory on dirty rails and clogged up with carpet fluff. Triang will.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Head down and trawling the forum (as you do when the other 5/8ths starts dropping hints of Xmas shopping) and came across this thread. My first dalliance into railway engineering was with old Tri-ang stock as you will see in the earliest of  'my photos'. This was mainly due to me not having a clue what I was doing so it had to be cheap in case I broke it, also never having had a train set I had watched my cousin's Tri-ang layout with great envy back in the days of yore. Yes the detail was crude but I grew to admire it for its naivity  and ruggedness so much so that I have brought with me various sets and items;

Tri-ang Britannia (painted black by myself  … see photo in 'my photos'
Freight-master set (mint)
Tri-ang Hornby RS608 Flying Scotsman set (mint)
Tri-ang Hornby RS609 Express passenger set (mint)
Tri-ang Steeple Cab with catenary
2 x Complete RS08 Lord of the Isle sets but no boxes.
Various wagons and trucks.

Unfortunately I realize there is no chance of running them through Peco points but one day ….just one day they might get a layout of their own as I also brought a a lot of track. Once I've dug them out I'll submit some pictures on the thread.

Ian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I can defo remember them they still show up at toy a nd train fairs here! I still have my bogie bolster in the last pic tho` I have changed the wheels :).   Pete.

it was already on fire when I got here, honest!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Pete I even had 2 Rovex 'plunger' locos that still ran on flat Tri-ang track 64yrs on and the bodies were both warped. 3 of my current Tri-ang even have working smoke.

Ian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I still run my tri-ang trucks, bolser`s and track cleaning box car now,just re-wheeled them and fitted kadees run like a dream ,
:thumbs;-):cool:

Owen

web-cam 2.2.74.174:8081
if the lights are off no cam

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
G`day Folks,
Got my first Triang train set when I was 7 years old in 1958. I`ve still got the loco and wagons and the transformer is one of my power supplies for GCJtn……I`m now 64. 
Triang trains were bomb proof……meant to be run flat out all day around 15" radius curves…..well that`s how kids do it. I doubt my new fragile Bachmann & Hornby stuff could have survived my childhood.
Meccano is the stuff engineers grow up with………bring back proper Meccano….nuts, bolts, axles, wheels, brackets, angles etc.etc.. Something that required a bit of imagination and skill as opposed to themed kits we have these days. You know…build a Meccano car or plane or whatever. Just give a kid some old Meccano set and let them go for it and let their imaginations go wild.
:cheers  Gormo

"Anyone who claims to have never made a mistake, never made anything!!"

https://sites.google.com/site/greatchesterfordmodelrailway/home
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.