Just as an introduction

Posted
Rating:
#175074 (In Topic #9891)

my cameo projects

Just as an introduction, I have been involved in modelling since the mid 50’s as a retired engineer I now find I have time to do all those things I have always wanted to do. Travel although I did a lot of that in the military but now I have time to do it at my own pace.
I resurrected my interest in model railways last year, having a stillborn attempt in N gauge in the late 80's. Here are a few of the minor projects I have under taken to be used in my layout when the final location is made ready for track laying.
Bashing the old Hornby 75 ton rail crane into a rebuilt diesel powered beast

A rusty unloved Pug

A camping coach a tribute to my wife Linda

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Sapperzane,

All looking very interesting. I'll look forward to seeing more of the same as and when they come to fruition. What kind  of layout do you have in mind when the time comes ?

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
G'day Alan,

First up, 'Welcome Aboard', from sunny Sydney. Looking foward to seeing your layout and anymore of your great looking models.  The models you have posted are excellent.  The crane has come up very, very nice, good job. :pathead

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Alan and welcome to the club.I too love the crane,are you intending doing anything to the pug?.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Hello Alan, welcome to the club from me down on the edge of the Solent. What have you got in mind for that rusty old pug, a restoration job perhaps?  

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney

Posted
Rating:
I think I will be modelling a “heritage” layout, as I lived in the midlands and Wiltshire I have a love of both regions, oh happy days on Swindon station at dinnertime watching the Kings and Castles thunder through. So I can mix anything I fancy. the pug is a small tribute to my Grandson Ben it will be placed by the camping coach as a play thing.

Last edit: by Sapperzane

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi,

I thought the weathering of the pug was the completed project. It looks great as it is and a fine candidate for being made  to look like an old abandoned warehouse shunter in some overgrown siding.

Maybe I have it wrong. It looks great. I would like to look around various shops oddments sections and pick up a suitable doner vehicle with which to do the same.

Excellent stuff Alan.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I have a couple of Pugs already complete for the layout both DCC fitted as I say I can get away with what ever I like!

Linda

No 2 as bought off eBay

New cab roof from "rusty pug"

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I've got to tell SWMBO there's a loco named after her now.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
:hi  Hi Alan.
Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy the company on here.
Impressed with your work displayed , and look forward to more .

reg

Posted
Rating:
Just a final post for today..
The entire artwork is produced in MS Word 2010 font size down to 5pt. the colour match is not too bad sample taken on my smart phone with a color grab app. and then loading the RGB values into MS Word not to shabby a result. BTW the phone number is fictitious.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Nice models my friend, and welcome from Plymouth where the sun still isn't shining. Looking at the pugs it's giving me ideas for 'Plank No. 2.' That is when I've finished No. 1 and Trevennan. Have loads of loose bits of Code 100 track lying around and several small Hornby and Peco points.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Very nice work Alan. :thumbs  Welcome to the club.  please tell us more about the Pugs.  Are they Dapol kits or Hornby ready to run?  If Dapol kits, how did you produce a running chassis?

Terry

Posted
Rating:
I love that crane. Nice work. And the rusty pug looks great too. Welcome to the club from Shipley up north!

Mike
Pig Hill Yard - a small Inglenook shunting layout for my boys, in 00.

Posted
Rating:
My rusty pug was a Dapol kit I bought with the intention of motorising, however when I started to look at what was involved I decided to “scrap” it so to speak and pursue other avenues. The other two pugs are green Dapol RTR and blue Hornby RTR both bought as non runners on eBay and rebuilt and DDC chipped.  Waiting in the wings is a High Level chassis for the Hornby/Dapol LYR Pug etched in nickel silver powered by a Mashina 1024 can motor, same motor as fitted to my railcar.  I bought a body and cylinder assembly from East Kent models. I’m undecided whether to start on this pug project or sell it on!

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Belated Hi Alan from sunny Essex.

Like the Pugs, but it must have been a squeeze to get the decoders in.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Yes it was, I had to extend the boiler weight and then mill a step to take the decoder, the weight is pushed much further forward to the smokebox door than in the RTR model. with all the surgery the pug is only a few Grams lighter.

You can see the added portion off weight to the right of the picture.

A very snug fit!

Posted
Rating:
Hi Alan
            It looks like you are getting 'A Thing' for pugs…….Great work …

REgards…Jethro

Last edit: by Sapperjethro

Posted
Rating:
Very nice conversion. What I like about the rusty Pug is the way you have made the plastic look really like metal. There is a kind of burnished effect which works very well indeed.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Hi Alan.      Welcome to the club, you must have been "Keeping your light under a Bushel"? You have done well. Excellent indeed. I am particularly interested in your Pugs, since purchasing my half a dozen from eBay .And now I know that they can be fitted with DCC Sound, i have to find out "How to remove the body shell" to gain access. (perhaps I could send a PM?).   All the best.  Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.