Removing caked on acrylic from a pallette

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

Any solven suggestions?

[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I have a couple of those Ikea coffee stirrers Mike - "frothers" is a more correct description.  I only tried it one and got LMS coloured cappuccino …………… :roll::cry::cry:

I'll try cutting the whisk bit off and see what I get. :thumbs

I cut all the whisk bit and half of the circle off leaving a sort of    _____)       shape.

You might need to break up blobs of cleggy paint in bottom of tin with a small screwdriver before using the whisk

Last edit: by Mike

I used to be normal until my grandson discovered model railways
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
You need a nearly flat battery in the frother so it runs slow. (or add a dropper resistor)

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
[user=567]gastwo[/user] wrote:
I use the soft plastic lid from a 5 litre paint drum as a palette. When the acrylic dries, gently flex the lid and the paint peels off.
The cleaned empty drum holds poly-bags of scenic materials.
(which in turn are various recycled bits and pieces…)

Yup. A flexible plastic [recycled] palette works for me too!

Whilst on the subject, if using acrylics for detail work, like figure painting, where it takes a little time between changing/using the same colours, [think a PW gang…] I use a shallow 6" square tupperware container [other brands of self-sealing food ware storage items are available….] in which I place a square of baking parchment, a.k.a. 'gracepreef pooper' on which to place my little blobs of mixed colour. During the painting process I lightly cover the inside with a folded square of moist kitchen paper towel inside, to keep the paint soft.

If I'm interrupted by the call of the dinner gong or the siren glissando of the cocktail shaker I pop the lid on, knowing my carefully mixed shade of 'Taxidermist  Beige' or 'Gall Bladder Khaki' will still be usable for a spot of postprandial paintwork.

Also, re stirring, see my 'twiddler' in post '9' in this thread

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=8201&forum_id=13&highlight=twiddler

Poop-poop!

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
  Hi Mike,
           I tend to agree with some of our illustrious forum members here in regard to re-using or recycling some of the trays found in our food packaging these days. They make great paint palettes and when done with can either be washed out or thrown away.
          On the subject of Acrylic paint…….if it is sealed properly it slows the drying process significantly.I have done a lot of house painting with acrylics. Instead of washing the brushes and rollers out each day, I would roll them up in cling wrap, ready to go for the next session. One of my brushes lasted a couple of months without drying out by being wrapped well in cling wrap……..I had forgotten about it.
          So there you go…….don`t worry too much about your palette…….there are plenty of alternatives.
Cheers Gormo

Last edit: by gormo

"Anyone who claims to have never made a mistake, never made anything!!"

https://sites.google.com/site/greatchesterfordmodelrailway/home

Posted
Rating:
Hi all

I use nail varnish remover to clean brushes that have dried acrylic paint on them. Just soak them for an hour or so and the paint comes off on a tissue. I have also used it to strip paint from old models. Just need to raid the bathroom cabinets!

Bob

Last edit: by Bob K

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Keep SWMBO out the way then. Domestic bliss and all that.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
I use a white 6" tile, and a paint scrapper (stanley knife blade in a holder) to clean it.

Paul
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.