Removing caked on acrylic from a pallette

Posted
Rating:
#173485 (In Topic #9809)

Any solven suggestions?

Yeah OK I know I should have cleaned it straight away  but stuff happens!

I've tried water, detergent and thinners, no effect, scraping removes some, but temds to score the pallette surface.

I'm hesitant to try stronger solvents in case they dissolve the hard plastic pallette as well

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The only way I have found to remove dried on Acrylic from my hard plastic pallets is fine wet & dry, and then polish afterwards with T-cut or similar to get it back smooth,ish.

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Try paint stripper containing methylene chloride but not too long an exposure.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Try soaking in surgical sprit for a while, that should work or even brake fluid.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Mike, why not toss it away and buy another?  They retail for about £1 in some chains, e.g. Hobbycraft, or Wilkinsons.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Why do you need to remove the dried acrylic paint? It will not mix with any fresh paint put on top or contaminate it. My wife is an artist and says for acrylics use a plastic tray covered with wet kitchen roll, then either greaseproof or baking paper on top. Put a small amount of paint on top and paint should remain fairly moist. If it begins to dry out spray it with water. When finished covey the plastic tray and contents tightly with cling film. Colours can be mixed on the paper. When you have no more room for extra colours, throw away the greaseproof paper and you still have a clean plastic tray and kitchen roll which can be moistened again if necessary. :)

Posted
Rating:
I'm with Derek here - why bother to clean it ?  I'm no artist but my palette has heaps of dried acrylics on it.  As long as I remember what colour I'm using now, I know which is "soft" and which is the old dried stuff.  

I use a dedicated palette for acrylics, another for enamels and yet another for watercolours. :thumbs  If it really does bother you, do what Terry suggests - they're cheaper than a glass of wine and you know what happens to that …………..:roll::roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I use an couple of old white plates, when one gets covered in dry blobs, soak it in a sink of water, rub it with an old scouring pad, scrape any stubborn lumps with a knife and pop it in the dishwasher.
Usually comes out clear enough to start again.
PS make sure you have permission from the memsahib to appropriate the plates:It's a no no

I used to be normal until my grandson discovered model railways

Posted
Rating:
I use the soft plastic lid from a 5 litre paint drum as a palette. When the acrylic dries, gently flex the lid and the paint peels off.
The cleaned empty drum holds poly-bags of scenic materials.
(which in turn are various recycled bits and pieces…)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Those plastic trays from the supermarket that the meat comes in are useful to that as well. Use them then into the recycle bin, paint scraps and all. They are also useful for holding bits when you are kit building so they don't get lost, and with a  bit of ingenuity can be made into a very useful set of sliding drawers to hold odd bits and pieces.

Posted
Rating:
Depending on what I am painting, I  find the tray from the ready made meals are good for large paint jobs, on the smaller jobs I use the tops off the plastic milk containers. No washing required, bin them when finished.

Last edit: by Barneybuffer

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney

Posted
Rating:
I like to use those yoghurt containers, the ones with the separate little corner section. They come with the plain yoghurt in the main section and the fruit in the small corner section.  Anyway, I fill the small section with water and mix the paint in the larger section.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
We really are a resourceful lot aren't we. Nothing seems to go to waste. I even save those wooden stirring sticks from coffee shops. They make good paint stirrers and nice planking.

Posted
Rating:
[user=1235]60019Bittern[/user] wrote:
We really are a resourceful lot aren't we. Nothing seems to go to waste. I even save those wooden stirring sticks from coffee shops. They make good paint stirrers and nice planking.
Same here.  I always stir my paint with MacDonalds' paint stirrers!

Terry

Posted
Rating:
[user=1235]60019Bittern[/user] wrote:
I think those stirrers are the only reason we go into coffee shops and probably why the coffee is so expensive ……………:roll::roll::roll:

It's becoming difficult to get more than the odd few because of prying eyes ……………  Having said that, they're about 1p per 20,000,000 on ebay ……………..:lol::lol::lol::lol:  A little cottage industry for someone to buy in bulk and sell on by the dozen ……:roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
It's not difficult at all Peter.Go in with someone else and grab two handfuls.I've got loads.KFC do good ones as well.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs

Next time I'm in UK, I'll give KFC a call.  Do I have to buy their chicken wings ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
:chicken:chicken:chicken  = modelling supplies.  :mutley

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
As the thread has wandered a bit I'll add my stirring tip.
Ikea do a battery powered little food mixer for £1.00
Just take a pair of pliers to the head and cut most of it off and you have an excellent little stirrer.

I used to be normal until my grandson discovered model railways

Posted
Rating:
I have a couple of those Ikea coffee stirrers Mike - "frothers" is a more correct description.  I only tried it one and got LMS coloured cappuccino …………… :roll::cry::cry:

I'll try cutting the whisk bit off and see what I get. :thumbs

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.