Kings way model kits

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Terry,

Infrastructure first every time. There is no point producing excellent work and leaving it vulnerable to the elements. Now, if you are looking for a temporary home whilst you are patching up the shed……….:mutley

I'll look forward to seeing your Mill layout progressing again.

Cheers

Petermac,

You've raised a bit of an issue really because the more I examine the  Kingsway kit the more I think that it is over priced.

Unlike Metcalfe,the joints between the main structural parts are via angle fillets. These don't look as if they will give much structural strength at all.  Metcalfe as I am sure you will be aware tend to use a good overlap of the joining edges which to my mind offers rigidity. The actual cutting lines need to be very carefully considered as it would be easy to get it wrong.

The overall appearance of the prints are possibly not as good as Metcalfe either although I am sure that there ya be those who would disagree with that. More opinion probably.

However, I will get on to attempting it hopefully sometime in the very near future and I'll keep the post going. Of course over and above any points raised above, there could be a much greater influence…………my building ability. :mutley

However, at great risk of humiliation I will post the damage ………. Warts an all.

Cheers for now

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I think Metcalfe are a good strong structure .  Two things spoil those for me , firstly trying to blend in the colour at the corners , secondly they do need home made roofing tiles , as they all look the same .

The colour on the corners ,i have tried all sorts of crayons and coloured pencils , but have not found the ideal yet.  When visiting exhibitions ,the metcalfe roofs show up all over the layouts ,  dead giveaway.

Fast to build though which is a plus for me.

reg
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Sparky,

I have a few Metcalfe kits but I gave these to my brother to try as I was busy consent rating on the Townstreet kits which I really enjoy. ( there are still not finished as yet ) .

My Brother is a metcalfaholic and swears by them ever since being given some kits to build for my Nephews layout. I have still to do one myself. The paper prints I intend to use around the periphery as they are ideal and inexpensive enough to cover large area's.

The Metcalfe and Townstreet and the likes are for the main buildings although I am slowly being swung in their direction as I have seen some truly excellent results on the forum.

As my layout develops, I am slowly getting to the stage where I will need the building kits completed in order to start bringing the layout alive so hence the reason I am putting so much time into asking the questions and sampling some of the kits. Busy times ahead.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I made the mistake of laying track to form a roundy roundy, without thinking about the footprint of the buildings that would follow.  I now have skinny platforms and not a lot of space for larger structures. DOH

reg
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Sparky,

I'm a bit guilty of that myself to a degree. I knew that the layout was going to be industrial and I like the brick effect. However, I just started to accumulate what ever I saw that I liked without really thinking it through. Also the layout has changed beyond all recognition so where previously I had enough room for full relief………that's now down to half relief…….at best.:mutley

I can see some butchery coming on….

cheers for now.

Toto
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.