Kings way model kits

Posted
Rating:
#171266 (In Topic #9706)
Guest user
Anyone had any experience of Kingsway model kits ?

I've just bought a bus garage kit from them and was wondering how they compared with the likes of Metcalfe.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hope it turns out ok Tom,they seem quite expensive though but do give quite a choice of buildings.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Alan,

I never studied their web extensively but it looks like they concentrate their efforts on certain types of buildings.

For instance, they have numerous bus stations based on prototypical buildings and finished to actual bus companies of a certain time.

The one I ordered is based on a depot in Musselburgh although the bus company hat I have decided to go with ( Northern ) does not necessarily match the location due to availability of liveries  and time period etc.

They look good but time will tell.  It cost £14.00 so the prices exceed those of Metcalfe slightly but there is more choice and they do look just as solid as Metcalfe.

I'll update on the kit when I have received it as I have not heard a lot of people using them. Could be handy as an alternative to Metcalfe.

Cheers for now.

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Hi Toto,

I have seen this site previously and the kits do look good. With the range that Kingsway supply, I doubt that they would be an inferior kit compared to some of the other well known card kit manufacturers.

Here is a link if anyone else is interested ; http://www.kingswaymodels.com/index.htm

Cheers, Gary.

Last edit: by Gary

Posted
Rating:
Hi Tom, I've had look at the Kingsway site a few times but have always steered away from buying anything mainly do to the prices. At those prices I hope you get good value for your hard earned pennies. Let us know how you get on with the bus station.

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Barney,

No problem, It should be waiting on the doorstep when I go back home tomorrow with a bit of luck. My intention is to take it up North with me next week and build it over a few nights.

I'll post some pictures of the kit to let everyone see what you get for your dosh and answer any questions that may arise.

Gary

Thanks for doing the link, I still have not mastered that art yet. The kits do look good but until you see them in the flesh in order to look at the quality of detail and robustness of the card itself, it's hard to tell. I am a bit surprised that no one appears to have used them yet. A few people sitting on the fence awaiting feedback maybe.

I have given a couple of Metcalfe kits to my brother who showed an interest in building them and also a super quick kit which I bought for my nephew. My brother reckons Metcalfe win hands down in terms of quality, build ability and clarity of the instructions.

MAYBE Metcalfe could be more challenged by Kingsway. Not that I have a problem with Metcalfe. They are good but a little variation does not go amiss.

Cheers for now

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Hi Toto,

Aaron has used Kingsway Models free download in his Kingsmead Station layout. Maybe PM him for his thoughts on their kits.

See here ; http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=10669&forum_id=21&highlight=kingsmead#p198336

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
The high street sets look good for model railway use, especially the low relief items. I like the triangular block of flats. Thanks for the link, I had not seen this company before.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Bob,

Just a word of caution, after examining the kit a bit closer it is very apparent that mistakes could easily be made whilst determining where to cut. Also, although the card is very thick and sturdy, which is a definite plus, it looks like a paper facade which has been attached to the card. At least that is what I think.

If that is the case, and it is so obvious, you would be as well buying paper downloads and mounting these yourself. Possibly cheaper as well.
I do like the kit, but……. On first impressions, they are maybe not as good quality as Metcalfe and are slightly more expensive. That said, it would probably not put me off buying another if the particular print design was what I was looking for.

If I get time later, I shall try my best to photograph the individual sheets and post them. They may not show them at their best but will give you an idea before you buy.

Cheers

Toto.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Nice to see something different, the print quality/colour looks a bit iffy, may be better in the flesh.

reg

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi guys,

here are some photographs which may help you to make up your mind a bit better.

and another

and another

and yet another,

and more,

and more,

and more, the roof this time,

and one showing what I think is a poor finish and a bit of a give away, ( maybe not )

to me, the above should have been trimmed. there is also a sign of slight bubbling here and there. Not really acceptable from a manufacturer. The kind of thing thst may be expected if we were to glue paper to card.

He are the destructions,

and the rest,

Well there you have it. In summary, I would say the actual print quality and detail are ok. It is the finish and the fact that it is not quite as obvious as the Metcalfe kits as to how they go together.

There again, I am a complete novice and a bit thick at that as well when it comes to these things………..make up your own mind. I hope this has been useful.

cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I think it's always a good idea to use kits from several manufacturers Toto.  That way, you can vary what you put on your layout - just like in real life.  Identical houses on identical streets are a modern thing.  In the past, everything was different depending on when and by whom it was built.

I rather like their Georgian terrace and might try one somewhere on Maxmill.  As far as I'm aware, no-one else does one :roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Fair play Petermac,

I tend to agree. Sometimes I see something I like and am blinded by it. I end up buying everything they have. Not good. As you say, try blending things in and create something a little different.

The kings way kits are not bad but they are most definitely not on par with Metcalfe in terms of quality.

Georgian houses sound good to me ……. Are they the one's with the inside loo's ?

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=1505]toto[/user] wrote:
……………………………………..

Georgian houses sound good to me ……. Are they the one's with the inside loo's ?

…………………………..
:mutley:mutley:mutley

I'm told they flush too. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I suspect that Kingsway is a 'cottage industry',  i.e. a one-man band who simply prints his kits on his home printer to save expensive commercial printing costs, as undertaken by Metcalfe.  As you say Toto, you could just download, print them and glue them to card yourself.  However, if you do not have a computer and printer (and a few people of my acqaintance in the hobby still fall into this category), then this is a useful service.  I would, however, expect inkjet printed kits to be cheaper than commercially printed ones.

My problem with Metcalfe card buildings is… they look like card buildings.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Terry,

I agree with what you say there. One of the reasons that I bought the Townstreet kits. However I can't afford to fill my layout with that stuff.  That is where the ability to scratch build comes in.

If Kingsway are producing on the cheap and selling high, they won't last long because people won't pay their prices. If they are lacking in their finish, I suppose the talented could possibly enhance them using some technique but at the price, but they shouldn't have to.

Anyway, do you not fancy a cottage industry of your own, these mills would be a great start and I would be your first customer.

:mutley

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Unfortunately Toto, I don't work fast enough to go into business.  I would be starving within a week!

But thanks for the kind comments.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hey,

A diet never done anyone any harm…………just long enough to cover my order would do. :mutley

I think we'll just need to settle for the privilege of ogling your creations. …… Now what's next on the production line ?

Cheers for now,

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Toto, you are too kind.  I am going to finish the shunting plank and then return to the mill layout.  The loco shed needs the finishing touches such as guttering, downpipes, etc.  I have been holding off with this layout as I have to replace the roofing felt on the shed which is leaking at the edges.  However, I have a week off coming up so I will get this job out of the way and get on with the layout.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
From what I can glean, Kingsway kits are predominantly for the "London scene" and for public transport buildings.  There are lots of specific tube and bus stations in their range and many of the buildings are "London style".

I remember seeing a tram layout featured in one of the magazines that had used them to great effect.  It will be interesting to see how the build goes Toto. 

Could be a bit like the difference between Metcalfs and Superquick.  The latter were great in their day but have been overtaken by more modern production techniques used by Metcalfe.  Having said that, there's a place for both, it's just one is more difficult to build and the finished article isn't as tough.

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.