Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

3D Printed Items

Well John is happy for me to use his photo, so here it is back again.

The pots are printed already attached to the mortar haunching made to the right size to suit the kit, so all you have to do is paint and glue the rectangular haunching to the top of the chimney stack.

The picture is of Johns Row of Cottages kit T019. The pots are available at the link below. 

Shapeways 3D Printing Marketplace

Sets of pots for a few Scalescenes are already available, with the intention of extending to cover the complete range of Scalescenes chimneys.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Thanks for taking the trouble Peter and they do look nice,better than twisting the paper round the drill bit alternative.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Some great looking developments Peter. :thumbs:thumbs

Once I get back into "modelling mode" - after the summer season - I'll be ordering some of those plus a footbridge.  There's not much point in my doing so now because my modelling time is about as long as it takes me to log on here ………….

I will, in the meantime, order one of those georgian house kits I showed earlier so I can let you have window dimensions …………….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
A good pick me up for me from a bout of winter flu; a nice review of my lattice footbridges in the latest edition of Model Rail magazine out this week.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
While I was in my sick bed a package of my latest test prints arrived from Shapeways.

Here are some photo's of the test prints of the platform canopy sections, where I've printed columns, trusses and roof all as one printed object. (as described in my thread above.)

The two sections fit together as intended (just pushed together for the picture.. not glued). You just keep alternating them until you get to the required length of canopy.

When you get to the end you stick on a short cantilever section.

Like this.

This is a test print without roof (which is an option).

Last edit: by Wizmacnz

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
They look really good Peter. :thumbs

I'll have a look at the price on Shapeways but I can see those being quite popular.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Cracking when I get that far I may have to invest

Posted
Rating:
Those canopies (and all the other stuff) look lovely.  Are they any particular railway?  You might have said but I didn't see it mentioned earlier.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:
Those canopies (and all the other stuff) look lovely.  Are they any particular railway?  You might have said but I didn't see it mentioned earlier.

John

Hi John
The canopies were originally based loosely on Hebdon Bridge Station, West Yorkshire but they have evolved to be a little bit more generic as modelling developed. Although there is a lot more detail and structure than is evident in most off the shelf or kit based platform canopies there has still been a necessity to simplify to suit the printing limitations. 

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
They look really good Peter. :thumbs

I'll have a look at the price on Shapeways but I can see those being quite popular.
I've offered them for sale with and without roof material to try and provide a lower cost entry point, but I guess price is going to be an issue by comparison with the superquicks and metcalfes of this world. It's one of the idiosyncrasies of railway modelling that many people will pay big money for new locomotives and will be concerned about whether there are exactly the correct number of rivets on the tender, but will not be concerned that their footbridges are twice the height they are supposed to be or that their lineside buildings look like cheap cardboard kits. Of course there also excellent scratchbuilders out there and some cardboard kits are truly excellent if made carefully (I include Scalescenes in the latter category). 

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
I'd agree 100% with your sentiments Peter. :thumbs

On the very odd occasion I go to an exhibition, I might see some fantastic detail in trackwork, scenery or rolling stock, all to be ruined by either a "generic" cardboard box pretending to be a building or, to me even more disappointing, trains never dropping below a scale 90 m.p.h.

I do wonder what buyers would use for the roof if they were not to buy your "package".  I think, having looked at the alternatives, yours probably isn't badly priced - it's not cheap but then quality never is ……………;-)  Certainly one or two will find their way to Maxmill. :cheers

Speaking of price, earlier, I said I was going to order a Georgian town house kit and ask about running some windows off.  I looked at the kit again and, unfortunately,  decided against it.  At £11 ("ex works") for what, I have read, is a fairly "standard" quality product, it seems expensive.  I may have a re-think if I can't come up with anything else but that's what I mean about cost vs quality.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the info Peter.  I think Metcalfe and Superquik are great for those starting out and to learn the trade as it were.  They can be made to look quite attractive.  They're also a good entry point for scratch building.  When I built my exhibition layout I started with these just to get going, but later rebuilt the buildings in plastic. 

I too lose patience with layouts where the builders have obviously little interest in the buildings.  Card kits are fine but I think they do take a hammering on the show circuit and maintenance is very important.  It's an idiosyncrasy of mine that when I see a passenger train at a show, I look to see if there are flexible gangways.  If there aren't I tend to walk away.

That Georgian house looks good in the picture, but I haven't any experience of Kingsway, so I don't know if the price is warranted.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
John …I have a few Metcalfes and Superquiks on my layout so I shouldn't be so quick to condemn.  I guess though it was my dissatisfaction with them and my lack of skill in modelling construction that set me off down the 3D printing line.

Peter …I thought it would be relatively easy to make a solid roof in plasticard or card, either painted or with a Scalescenes or similar textured paper applied. One of the reasons why I made the roof in the fully printed canopy sections half glazed, is to reduce the volume of material to be printed to keep the cost lower.

With regard to the Georgian town houses… I also received in my shapeways package a bundle of windows with surrounds that I'm going to use on a building on my own layout. Hopefully I am going to retrofit them onto the outside of the window openings, to replace some very bad acetate and cut sticky label windows that I made for the building some years ago.

These were the ones I was going to adapt to suit the Kingsway Models kit.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
They look good too Peter.  They's look even better in a Georgian terrace.  :thumbs

Having searched, without luck, for a drawing of the Kingsway type Georgian house, I may just have a re-think.

I e-mailed them to ask about postage to France and can get 2 x £11 kits delivered here for just a tad under £30 (expensive postage but cheaper for 2 kits than for 1). 

As I said, I have no idea what the kits are like and their site, quite frankly, doesn't do them any favours regarding "quality" looks of the finished article but it is a nice building and would sit nicely in my station square.

If I got a couple, I could then get the necessary measurements ………………….:hmm:hmm

Maybe I'll have a look at some of their other stuff - 1 Georgian terrace plus a shop - they do a rather nice looking "Burton's the Tailor".

Don't go away just yet ……………………..;-)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Agree Peter W, once you've got your eye in, the Metcalfe and Superquik buildings become unsatisfying and, certainly in my case, I wanted more.  Scalescenes are a logical next step.

Peter M I think it's worth it sometimes to buy something just to see what it is.  Card kits are quite heavy, like books, so postage can be horrendous - I know this from experience.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I've bitten the bullet and ordered these 2 kits:

Window measurements will arrive soon Peter and I'll start a thread on Kingsway card kits when they arrive. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I look forward to receiving the window dimensions Peter. No problem to create some printed windows to suit.

I'm intending to produce some platform seats, but have yet to find some prototype dimensions (although I've found plenty of photo's online).

I thought I'd knock out a park bench instead for now.

Available on Shapeways individually or as a set of 4.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
Platform seats - LNER or LMS but NOT GWR design - would go down very well at Maxmill Peter and, I'm sure, elsewhere too. :thumbs:thumbs

I received my 2 card kits from Kingsway today - I'll start a new thread as soon as I have a moment spare but first impressions are that they seem very expensive and very poor quality against the likes of Metcalfe/Superquick and, against the likes of Scalescenes, they're not even on the same planet.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I made this model of a GER platform seat as per Wymondham Station.  Unfortunately the monogram is too fine to print.

I have a more generic version for sale without monogram as a set of 6.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Peter - those GER ones look good enough for Maxmill. :thumbs

I'll wait to see what you do with the Georgian windows but I need some chimney pots, benches and maybe, the Scalescenes "add ons" for the terraced houses in the short term.  The foot bridge is longer term although I might also have need for a few of the station canopies to cover the platforms outside the Scalescenes large overall roof which only comes half way down the platform.  A goods shed will be blocking any further full width covering.

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.