Scalescenes large station roof

Posted
Rating:
Hi, Peter,

As you have so many of those supports to make, is it worth contemplating making a resin mould system?

[This suggested by someone who once so securely stuck a metal tool box to a garage floor with the stuff it needed a cutting disc to release it….]

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. :thumbs

The left hand platform will take 6 coaches plus a tender loco Peter.  I will have another station on the lower level which is planned to take 7 or possibly, 8.  It will be a through station so for 8 coaches, the loco may be outside the platform limits - not sure yet ………:roll:

My experience of perspex Gary is that, not only is it expensive but it's the very devil to cut.  The arch elements are not very wide so I think cutting it without it shattering may be asking too much of my jigsaw …………:chicken

Doug, I do plan to tackle some resin moulding at some time in the future but at present, I don't have the necessary materials.  Also, whilst it's tough "on the flat", I'm not too sure how strong it would be in this situation.  Certainly the resin stuff I've seen tends to be of smaller dimensions and has strengthening added by floors and bulkheads etc.

If I do hit any problems with it wanting to exit stage left, I could add some exterior buttresses where the pillars are.  Hopefully, John Wiffen has done his calculations and, once it's all glued up, it should be strong enough ……… :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
That is going to look very impressive Peter……..let me know when tomorrow arrives and you start on the station……thats a job I still have to do…….Like you I am going to kit bash it a bit……I was going to add some more storeys …..somehow it looks too small in relation to the roof………..I hadnt thought of a second tower
 :hmm

The roof structure itself is very stable and well designed……as I said I can lift all 4 sections (which are joined together as a single unit) quite easily…..obviously you have to exercise some care. I think Pauls idea of fixing the equivalent of dowels to some of the arches (I doubt if you need them for every arch) is excellent…….wish I had thought of it!

I may have been less than clear in my earlier post about the side walls…….for greater certainty do not make each wall up as an individual unit. Ideally the 4 sections of should be cut from one length of card…………failing that cut them so a join on the inner wall never coincides with a join on the outer wall when they are laminated together.

Cheers

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
I hadn't thought about adding another storey to the building John - as you say, from the shots on John Wiffen's site, it does look a tad underscale for the roof but I thought it was designed for the "standard" roof.

I understand what you mean about staggering the joins in the laminations for the side walls.  I had already considered doing that. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Did you ever finish this Peter? I’m researching station canopy’s and came across this thread! 

Posted
Rating:
No I didn't Chris.

Soon after I started it, we decided to sell the house and so work ground to a complete halt regarding "development" .

We were selling our home and moving to our gite where I knew there was nowhere for a layout at that time.

John Dew did a far better job than I could ever do - have a look on his Granby thread where there's a full write-up.  It's a lengthy build but a superb model if done carefully.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Cool. I’ll check it out. 

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
No I didn't Chris.

Soon after I started it, we decided to sell the house and so work ground to a complete halt regarding "development" .

We were selling our home and moving to our gite where I knew there was nowhere for a layout at that time.

John Dew did a far better job than I could ever do - have a look on his Granby thread where there's a full write-up.  It's a lengthy build but a superb model if done carefully.
Ah! That explains a lot. I was puzzled by this topic as I'm only familiar with the later pages of the Maxmill Jct story where no such station resides.

Posted
Rating:
Keep up in Melbourne there, keep up !   :mutley

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.