Tintagel Post Office.

Posted
Rating:
Hello,
Its just as well I am happy with sub-standard builds, I can not afford to through my tools away In a huff. Out of this world as usual if you need a lodger for one of your buildings let me know LoL off to sit in the corner of a dark room..
Regards
Stephen

Acording to a recent visit to a supermarket at check out time, I an not loosing my memory it has been downgraded which means i am not stupid afterall - Sorted! - What a relief
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:
[user=477]shunter1[/user] wrote:
Be careful Alan,
The trust may slap a preservation order on your model.
Next through the post a telephone book size list of building restrictions.
That resin Alan. Is it a readily available product?
All the best,
Derek.

Hi Derek.

There's plenty of resin manufacturers out there and I would imagine that one's as good as another and I ordered mine on line.

Cheers.

Allan.

:)Hi Allan,

Well its a bit of a struggle getting a suitable resin in Ireland.

The UK suppliers will not post the stuff.

Finally tracked down a company in Ireland which sell a resin called smooth flow.

One can buy sample,s at 25 euro or you have to order it in 100 euro plus containers.

Oh well will see how it goes.

regards,

Derek.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Be careful Alan,
The trust may slap a preservation order on your model.
Next through the post a telephone book size list of building restrictions.
That resin Alan. Is it a readily available product?
All the best,
Derek.

Hi Derek.

There's plenty of resin manufacturers out there and I would imagine that one's as good as another and I ordered mine on line.

Cheers.

Allan.

:)Hi Allan,

Well its a bit of a struggle getting a suitable resin in Ireland.

The UK suppliers will not post the stuff.

Finally tracked down a company in Ireland which sell a resin called smooth flow.

One can buy sample,s at 25 euro or you have to order it in 100 euro plus containers.

Oh well will see how it goes.

regards,

Derek.

Derek,

25 euro seems an awfull lot to me just for a small can of resin and hardner.

Anyway, you could try a craft shop as they often sell it to make paper weights with.

Cheers.

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Fantastic model (of course,we wouldn't expect any less of you! :cool:).
I haven't been to Tintagel for about 8 years,but I remember that building and talking to my wife about the uneven/phooked roof and you have captured that in your model!.I love seeing the models that you make,jealous..maybe but hey I'd rather see such fine models shown in photos than just imagine them in my head!.
Keep up the (very good) work!,

Tomsk

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Thank you for the kind words Tom, and me and the missus are still trying to work out what 'phooked' means !

Anyway, here's developements up until last night - phooked roofs an all! - and, if I get round to it (I hate doing chimneys !) I should have it finished today and ready for basing.

Cheers.

Allan.

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Finished ! well almost….

So, tomorrow it'll get planted on it's base where I'll produce FLAT grass by the acre with the  Noch Grassmaster !

Cheers Allan.

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
Brilliant as always!! Don't know how you produce it all so quickly. Perhaps I spend too much time thinking about it.
Roy.

Last edit: by RoyP

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Absolutely fabulous Allan. I only wish I had the skills and patience. Looking forward to your next project.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=1235]60019Bittern[/user] wrote:
Absolutely fabulous Allan. I only wish I had the skills and patience. Looking forward to your next project.

St Pancras maybe !!!!!!!!!

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Hi Roy.

When I first kicked off it was 99% think, 1% application, then when I decided to do it for a living I realised that I would have to reverse that order !

Cheers.

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Smashing outcome to the build Alan.
Heck of a contrast in that posed shot with modern buildings in the background.
Hmm St Pancras that would keep you going for a couple of weeks, Old Sir John Betjimin(spelling)would be delighted.
regards,
Derek.

Posted
Rating:
Got a few more hours in  today - chimney up to first lift, boxed up and roof built and tiled.

Cheers.

Allan

If you think you're getting away with posting photos like that and just a caption saying " chimney up to first lift, boxed up and roof built and tiled" Mr Downes, you're sadly mistaken !!! :lol::lol:

That roof is magnificent (as is the rest of the building) but that roof - wow !!!

How did you do it ?  The wavy ridges must be the very devil to construct and the stone tiles are so good - what are they.  A "how I did it" is called for - please. :thumbs:thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Hi Peter, wonky roofes and the making thereof !

The dip and sag ridge line is cut into the folded roof then the two sides are parted.

The tile guide lines are then ruled in and the tiling begins where at first you follow the guide lines right up to the last three or four rows then, by eye, luck, and good judgement, you ignore the guide lines and try to lay the tiles parallel to the contours of the ridge by ' closing' and 'opening' the courses where appropriate.

With both sides now tiled out - or even just one if the back of the building will not be seen, the two halves are 'pinched' together, glued from beneath then ready for colouering - the card I use for this is no thicker than a post card as this will give and bend naturally as the PVA glue dries. Phew !

Colouring is a little complicated if it's stone tiles and is carried out in several 'messy' stages with the roof off the building and worked up flat on the workbench.

Stage 1.

Sprinkle over a generous ammount of pollyfilla powder.

Stage 2

Using an old stubby bristled 1" household paint brush  load this up with Colron Light Oak Wood (although here I used Colron Antique Pine) and keep stippling the pollyfilla, loading the brush every now and again until the whole has been well stippled and boy, does it look a mess !

Stage 3

Seal the course stippled effect in by dabbing, NOT brushing, with a 70 water 30 PVA mix and leave to dry - I lay it on top of a radiator, you can leave it outside, next to the pool underneath the Spanish sun !!!.

Stage 4

With the roof now completely dry the effect is then further enhanced by laying each side flat down then lightly dusting matt black aerosol up and under the tiles - don't over do it, just a few light passes will do the trick and now, the roof can be attatched to the building.

Well Peter, I hope I've made myself understood there but a demo is worth a thousand words !

Cheers.

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That's not the ugliest building on the face of the earth, Allan - but it's right up there.

You've captured it perfectly.   :thumbs

Why you would want to is another question altogether.  :mutley

Good work.  :cheers

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
That's not the ugliest building on the face of the earth, Allan - but it's right up there.

You've captured it perfectly.   :thumbs

Why you would want to is another question altogether.  :mutley

Good work.  :cheers

I didn't, the missus did.

Cheers.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
SWMBO has to be kept happy. Seriously though I feel it is a brilliant model, very life-like and to be built in just over a week is fantastic. It takes me that long to build a Metcalfe building and all the hard work is done.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Got some of the groundwork done today and am now waiting for scenic supplies to do a bit of gardening with !

Everything is still wet hence the yukey green grass but it will darken as it dries.

Please forgive the awful photo's but it's belting it down outside and fire cement doesn't like getting wet !

Cheers.

Allan

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Many thanks for the comprehensive "How to" Allan. :thumbs:thumbs  The result is amazing.

As I said way back, your buildings have always been an inspiration ever since I first saw them many, many years ago.  You've lost none of that "magic".  Whilst it "went missing" during our move to France, I do remember studying a copy of one of your books that I had in my library and wishing I could achieve anything close to yours - and as easily as you made it all sound.

It's great to learn from "masters" who've stood the test of time and the scrutiny of their contemporaries. :cheers

Looking forward to your St Pancras ………………:mutley:mutley:mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Many thanks for the comprehensive "How to" Allan. :thumbs:thumbs  The result is amazing.

As I said way back, your buildings have always been an inspiration ever since I first saw them many, many years ago.  You've lost none of that "magic".  Whilst it "went missing" during our move to France, I do remember studying a copy of one of your books that I had in my library and wishing I could achieve anything close to yours - and as easily as you made it all sound.

It's great to learn from "masters" who've stood the test of time and the scrutiny of their contemporaries. :cheers

Looking forward to your St Pancras ………………:mutley:mutley:mutley

Thank you for that Peter, most kind.

Re St Pancras. Don't hold your breath !!

Anyway, here is a little something that did my ego a world of good - a little bit of photoshopping by Peter Kern who just happens to be an amazing modeller with some very unique and amazing ideas of his own.You'll find him on my thread on RMWeb.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.