dapol railbus

Posted
Rating:
#168797 (In Topic #9591)

motorising

can anyone help with information on park royal railbuses. i am converting the dapol model and i need drawings and

dimensions, interior details and colour schemes. have searched the web with little success.

cobach47
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Have a look at my posts Cobach47. There is some info on them about motorising using the bogies from the Hornby 142 Pacers. I will be doing some more on the conversion when time permits.

00 Gauge - Trevennan

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=11419&forum_id=21

Last edit: by 60019Bittern

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Branchlines also do a chassis/interior kit for this as well. Might be worth looking them up. They advertise in most of the model railway magazines. If I find their web address will let you know.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Have a look here. Its the interior from another model.

http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38399

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ian,

I had a go at motorising the Dapol Kit  -  make sure you put as much weight in it as you can.

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Full load of whitemetal passengers does the trick nicely

Posted
Rating:
[user=1575]cobach47[/user] wrote:
can anyone help with information on park royal railbuses. i am converting the dapol model and i need drawings and

dimensions, interior details and colour schemes. have searched the web with little success.

cobach47
Why not wait for the Heljan ready to run model?  It will knock the spots off the old Airfix (now Dapol) model.

The exterior body dimensions were 42ft x 9ft 3ins.  What exactly do you mean by interior details?  And what do you mean by 'colour schemes'?  Are you referring to exterior livery or the interior decoration?

This book has a chapter on the Park Royal railbuses, and others, with plenty of photos and a small line drawing of each type of vehicle:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=br%20first%20generation%20diesel%20railbuses

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Hi

In true BluePeter style here's one I made earlier - about 20 years earlier

Materials - as far as I can remember 25mm wide brass strip to form the chassis, pair of W irons for a wagon, cant remember where the worm gear was sourced from. Pickup on all wheels, and ran reasonably well, but its not been tried in 20 year.

Paul

Posted
Rating:
i have nearly finished my dapol railbus with a lima chassis, scratchbuilt interior, weight in the roof space.

Runs quite sweetly now its heavier. of course heljan are bringing one out this year, pleased to say

mine has cost less than a tenner £6.70 for the kit £3.00 for the lima shunter ( for the chassis )

plus odd bits of plasticard, wire etc. Quite pleased with the result.  it can be taken apart easily if more

info comes along so i can repaint details or if i need more passengers, anyone noticed the lack of

suitable seated passengers. as in the oscar speeches " i would like to thank everyone who has helped with this project"

there is very little info around for these railcars so artistic licence ad to be used. i learnt from my aircraft modelling days

you can't wait for all the info before you start if you do nothing will get built.

Here's some pics.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Have a look here as well. I will get around to finishing the article off sometime soon.
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=11419&forum_id=21

Posted
Rating:
The April 2014 edition of Model Rail (Issue 194) has an article about detailing the interior of one of these things. Pages 46 & 47.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Looks excellent Ian. :thumbs

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Latest update on my railbus, all painted, decals applied and body varnished. have fitted most of the windows, not looking

forward to fitting the corner windows which i removed from the windscreen mouldings, all going well except i didn't allow

for the thickness of the windows now i can't fit the interiors!  too wide now, i have removed the seats and made the floor

narrower, just when i thought i was on the last lap! i have used P.V.A to fit the windows as i didn't want to mess them up.

will post more pics when it's finished. has been well worth the effort though. we never stop learning do we!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I think you may find that Branchlines is not active on the web, you may need to give them a call or email them and request some price lists, try sales@branchlines.com as sometimes they are busy and don't pick up the phone.

I am currently motorizing one of these using a Pacer Traction Kit from High-level and a scratch build brass chassis. My big issue is getting the floor pan to lie flat!

Rob
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sorry for lack of posts but the railbus project had stalled. the reason is the corner windows from the kit which i fitted

it was like looking through the bottom of a milk bottle, distorting everything inside and making the driver into a monster!

so after a good think on holiday i decided to bite the bullet and make new windows from clear plastikard.

i used the old windows which i had separated from the front windows as a pattern making sure i made them

slightly larger the piece of material should be approx 10.5 mm high x 10mm across, make a vertical cut from the bottom left

corner to the top making the width 8mm at the top

now round off the corners and bend the curve to match the corner

by bending along the slanting edge over a 3mm rod
roughly 4mm in you can make left and right windows.

make a few spares as it can be tricky to bend it in the right place then gently sand it to fit, fix in place with p.v.a.

Posted
Rating:
Railbus now ready for final assembly, have finished the corner windows and after trying paint and decal strip i used

"bare metal" chrome foil for the window ventilators. then gave all the glazing a coat of Johnsons Kleer polish.

I will post the pics soon, thanks to everyone for their interest in this project which has cost around £10!

After this i will attempt to build my D.C.Kits class 129 parcels car, hoping to fit a Hornby HST motor bogie.

Ian

Posted
Rating:
Ian, where did you get the Johnsons' Kleer polish?  The stuff appears to have disappeared from the face of the Earth!

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Banned
I'm glad this has popped up again. I have just purchased a 75% completed kit from that online auction site for $5.50 AU (£3.05). Mine will be a long term project, so the more info gathered here, the better. ;-);-)

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
i built up a stash before it changed to the new formula.due to new regulations i can't any but it if you come near to hemel hempstead sometime i could let you have some – Ian

Posted
Rating:
If i can help you in any way please get in touch – Ian
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.