[user=401]pnwood[/user] wrote:

Doug

[some more piccies if you want them..]

Do bears…..er! do whatever they do in the woods, yes please  :thumbs
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I'll second that Woody. :thumbs:thumbs

Incidentally, I must point out that the "Driver McIvor" with the heavy wallet is definitely not me !!! 

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Excellent work again Doug.

The variety of wall and roof finishes adds much more interest than if they were all the same.

Regards,
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
well, you asked for it….

Note 'broken glass' on wall

The wooden crates and boxes are pieces of a hardwood coat hanger sawn up appropriately and 'got at' with a mapping pen and coloured Indian inks, please ignore the gap 'twixt the shop front and the building, it seems to have opened up in the sunshine and will need re-gluing. The pavement is scribed onto the grey 2mm mount board with a 3H pencil before being given two coats of shellac [knotting]. This hardens it and allows the edges and corners to be sanded, dented and weathered without fear of it going 'fluffy'. It also ensures that anything stuck to it subsequently stays stuck and doesn't simply pull off with a thin top layer of card. The flag stones in the yard are Scalescenes TX21Pavement

and realistic [IMHO] slate thickness, done by printing slate texture paper onto ordinary 90gm paper and sticking this in turn to A4 self adhesive label paper before cutting into strips in the normal fashion. Note pavement drain gullies for down pipes [I've not seen these on other models] formed by cutting and peeling off a thin layer of the grey mount-board pavement surface and gluing in strips of black paper, then drilling a hole in the edge inked in with felt tip pen. I don't like the large black 'pipe brackets' on the original printouts so I colored them over with water-colour pencil before sticking bits of brown paper in their places. The gate is packeto-cornoflako scribed and painted with grey acrylic. It soaks into the scribe lines quite convincingly.

The chimney pots are 1/8" - 3mm dowelling 'twiddled' in a drill and rubbed to shape with sandpaper, then appropriate sized hole drilled in the ends. This proved a bit 'ouchy' as one split and the drill-bit went behind my thumb-nail.

Back of gate braced in the correct direction, how many otherwise worthy models do we see with it running the wrong way? You can't see the 3/4 height pillars on the inside of the walls, needed on a 6ft wall only 9" thick, note it is not bonded to the flint and render wall as they expand at different rates, another reason for pillars.

Sadly a little light is escaping from under the bottom of the wall, so I will have to mix up some grey artist's acrylic with PVA in my Finetip applicator and run a 'seam' along there…

Yes, you saw it here first, Doofer does plastic…..scribed 40/1000 columns, and details from little bits of strip and rod, sorry :( and finally a little 'HowIdidit' for the window frames, now my preferred method.

…there, I hope those of you who haven't yet sunk into catalepsy have enjoyed that and can get some ideas, too!

Poop-poop

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Brilliant! :thumbs:thumbs:thumbs

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I have done it again ! I see Doofer's name against a thread and think 'I must read that , it will be another example of superb modelling skills and inspire me !' I then look at his models , look at my own efforts and end up depressed ! :D
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Oh.  Yes!

Posted
Rating:
That's brilliant Doug - almost unbelievable. One could examine it again and again and still find new things in the scene  :thumbs:thumbs

There are so many "little touches" that set it way above what "mortals" achieve that it's impossible to pick out anything in particular but, to try the impossible,  I love the funnel on the paraffin tank "drip tray".  Did you tell us what the broken glass was ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=1639]Marlin[/user] wrote:
I have done it again ! I see Doofer's name against a thread and think 'I must read that , it will be another example of superb modelling skills and inspire me !' I then look at his models , look at my own efforts and end up depressed ! :D

Marlin, I do hope that's not true, it's not my intention to 'show away' and I do try to give hints and tips, nearly all my stuff is from household bits and pieces, save for a bit of plastic strip which reluctantly I have to buy because my eyesight is making the cutting of very fine strips a bit problematic.

I don'y buy vast quantities of expensive ready-made plastic doors, windows, downpipes chimney pots, textured roof sheets and paving products and glue them together to build my models, so if it goes wrong which it frequently does, it undergoes the 'stamp' test, i.e. it goes on the floor, I stamp on it and if it doesn't look any better, I try again….

The only things I do not scrimp on are my printer inks, I use genuine Epson 'Durabrite' inks, they are very tough and forgiving and can be safely weathered with plenty of water colour paints almost with impunity but they are a waste if you use cheap paper scrounged from the office printer. I use good quality 90gm inkjet paper such as Epson's photoquality  stuff, about £10 for 100 sheets, a bright matt finishing paper that doesn't fall to pieces as soon as you put water based glues like PVA and Pritt stick on it, but any 'premium' paper will serve well.

I like UHU stick glue as it dries matt so a bit of over-generous application doesn't show, and believe it or not if you make a mistake and provided youe are using Durabrite inks and good paper, you can wash over the surface of a small area, let it soak and carefully peel it off the card without too much problem.

Always, always use a sharp blade [I use a Stanley small snap-off knife for nearly everything] and never never try to cut wet/damp/gluey texture paper with a blade as it will tear.

Remember, buildings have sharp square edges and to get the same results in a model, the edges of the card must be cleanly cut and the papers scored lightly before EVERY wrapping fold, a prime reason why you should put the adhesive on the card and not the paper as it will allow you to score the paper without tearing it.

This link here might help with ideas, too.

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=10095&forum_id=101

Phew! What a lot of waffle, eh?

Anyway, just keep trying…

Oh, finally for now, Peter, I did the 'glass on the wall' by painting a thin line of dirty green paint down the top edge of the wall and before it was dry I ran a very thin line of of matt acrylic varnish along on top and sprinkled on a generous amount of caster sugar……

When it dried, I recoated the sugar to seal it in against the effects of moisture, further weathering etc..Simple! [insert annoying Meerkat noise]

So, forgive the waffle, but with the advantages of being retired, working with very cheap materials and the dross that passes for 'entertainment' on the idiot's lantern I have the time to keep doing t until it looks 'right'. 

Poop-poop

Doug

W

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Doug said, "it undergoes the 'stamp' test, i.e. it goes on the floor, I stamp on it and if it doesn't look any better, I try again…."

Doug, I'm sending the missus over for the test!

Terry

Posted
Rating:
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
Doug said, "it undergoes the 'stamp' test, i.e. it goes on the floor, I stamp on it and if it doesn't look any better, I try again…."

Doug, I'm sending the missus over for the test!

Terry

:shock:……:It's a no no……:Red Card

D

Posted
Rating:
A quick reply Doug, (you really deserve more) as I'm getting ready to go Cyprus shortly.

What a wonderful build, the shop and backyard take me back to my youff. My Godparents had a shop and yard just like that. You have a great eye for detail and either must research your subjects well or have a bloody good memory.

I agree that nobody should be in despair because they feel they can't match your talents, they should instead use your examples to learn and improve their skills to whatever level that might be. It's what I've been doing for a few years now after first seeing your work on YMR and every time that I think I'm getting close you go and raise the bar again….. and I think it's great being challenged to do better next time.

Can't wait to see what you do next ;-)

Last edit: by pnwood

Posted
Rating:
Thanks, Woody, for taking the time to reply. I remember your joining and zooming up the skills ladder,  I shall try to keep doing it with card and paper but reluctantly admit that it is easier with plastic strip for the very fine stuff.

I'm looking forward to the new Scalescenes site when it arrives as John promises revised scratch building stuff. Enjoy Cyprus,  I have fond memoriesof a llittle bar near the mosaics at Paphos (?)

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

Posted
Rating:
I too wish you "Bon Voyage" to  Cyprus Woody - what part ?  Liz & I had a holiday house in the north for 10 years before we moved to France - happy memories indeed. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I too wish you "Bon Voyage" to  Cyprus Woody - what part ?  Liz & I had a holiday house in the north for 10 years before we moved to France - happy memories indeed. :cheers

Hi Peter
I seem to recall that we've had this discussion before a while back. We have a family villa (brother-in-laws) in Catalkoy to the east of Kyrenia. We go each year in March to get it ready for the season.

Posted
Rating:
I do remember Woody. :thumbs

I knew someone on here had connections there but couldn't remember who ………..:oops::oops:  We were there in September but west of Kyrenia - Lapta.

Sorry Doug - back to your cottages …………………:oops:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I do remember Woody. :thumbs

I knew someone on here had connections there but couldn't remember who ………..:oops::oops:  We were there in September but west of Kyrenia - Lapta.

Sorry Doug - back to your cottages …………………:oops:

No problems, in this Forum we have always enjoyed a bit of banter,  have we not?

Holiday wise we are deep in planning next months trip to Portugal for a ride on the Douro valley railway…..

Poop - poop

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Doug said, "I'm looking forward to the new Scalescenes site when it arrives as John promises revised scratch building stuff."

Doug, this is news to me.  How did you find out about it and is any more known?

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Terry, I think Doug is very friendly ( modelling wise)  with John Wiffen.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Ron.  I didn't remember reading about it anywhere.

Terry
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.