southall 00 update

Posted
Rating:
#167767 (In Topic #9551)
Inactive Member

wiring

The progress has been slow but sure and I have finished the connecting wires between all the base boards all 1126 of them.My next task is supply power to all running lines plus wire up the double slip.If any kind soul that lives near to Southall could help I will show my gratitude by feeding you and keeping you supplied with plenty of tea or coffee.I have to find a room big enough to set the layout up in its entirety.what would be the ideal height for the layout? I am thinking  of making legs of 36 inches,any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
thank you and happy new year to you all

alan:cheers

A K Worthington
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Alan,

I can sympathise with you there. I am on the same task at the moment. I took a break and moved onto other things for a wee while as it gets quite intense.
Track feeds, motor and accessory feeds, frog polarity wires, LED's and the yard lights and all other manner of electrical gizzmo's. You begin to lose the will to live and need to keep coming up with positive thoughts to stop you from going completely mad. :mutley

As far as baseboard height goes, I suppose it depends on your height and the level that you find comfortable working at. Will you be seated when operating the layout, how tall are you etc. I don't think there is one solution that fits all. My Layout is about 3 feet to the top of the baseboard but I am quite short, 5 foot 6 or so.

Sorry there is no definitive answer for you but I'm sure you'll find what works best for you eventually. As far as the wiring goes, I hope you find a kind hearted soul who lives near enough to " share your experience ".

Cheers for now

Toto:thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
toto,
i am 5 11 and i hope to get a couple of high chairs/stools. i have downloaded 2 how to wire a layout manuals but i am not that confident with complex wiring especially for a double slip. the simpler the wiring the more i will understand how to repair it if there are problems.all the best for the new year
alan

A K Worthington

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Alan

Take it one at a time.  Do you want to do the double slip wiring first?

The frogs are at the top and the four circles represent the double pole, double throw switches attached to the turnout motors.

Notice that the turnout motors switch the frogs furthest from them.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Alan,

It took me awhile to get my head round some of the wiring as well. Like you say, especially double slips and the like. I will do my best to explain my understanding of it. The best source for these issues is Sol if he is about but meanwhile here goes.

The double slip has four prewired wires coming from it when you take it out the box.

Two come from the middle ( or the waist of the slip ) and the other two come from either end .

The two that come from the middle, one either side of the track, to my belief is used as a track feed. Obviously one live and one return. These will be wired ( to the live or return side of the track ) depending on how the track at either side of the slip is wired. Ie all lives to the outside and all returns to the inside ( or vice versa ).

The other two wires are your frog polarity wires. You will know that 2 motors are required to operate each of the slips ( one at each end or throw bar ).
What you have to remember with these is that the frog wire from one end, gets connected to the motor at the other end.
I can maybe try and draw this out for you with some text to explain what I mean as I know that it can be difficult to envisage.

I am having my folks arriving within the next hour or so, ( mummies birthday today ) so it maybe either later today if I can get time or tomorrow night as I am working during the day.

Failing that, you never know, someone else may beat me to it as you'll probably find several people will be a reading your thread.

Meanwhile, don't let the slips worry you, continue on with the rest and by all means, lay your slips as normal as you can always come back to the wiring .

I'll catch up again when I get the chance, meanwhile have fun.

Cheers

Toto.

PS you will also need to use insulated rail joiners. Usually at the four inner rail joints but I use them for all the tracks coming of the slip as I have separate feeds to each of the tracks joining onto the slip.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Max,

Missed your reply. I'm forgetting your electrical wizardry.

You will be able to explain it better than me.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hello maxsouth oz, i think because of the complexity of the double slip i will do or get help to do that first.thank you for the diagram and any more advice would be warmly accepted.:lol:
cheers
alan

A K Worthington

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
toto,         thanks for your help and advice, there is no rush as intend to take my time with the wiring of the double slip.i will print off your reply if thats ok and study your words of wisdom over a cup of tea. the double slip is in position so i hope it can be wired from above board.:cheers

thank you 
alan

A K Worthington

Posted
Rating:
Hi Alan

You might find 36" a bit low……both from a viewing/operating aspect and the inevitable trips underneath to sort out problems……….it might be worth doing a few mock ups to work out what works best for you.

I am 6' 1" and Granby is set at 52"………..viewing is more realistic (less birds eye), access undeneath is ok (although I try to avoid it!) ………the one downside of increased height can be accessing the rear of the layout…..depending on the width of the baseboard

Good luck with the wiring……..Vancouver-Southall is a bit of a stretch:lol:

Last edit: by John Dew

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
You've explained it very well, Toto.

It's like two turnouts laid over the top of each other.  As long as we keep in mind that the switches attached to the throw bar motors operate the frog on the opposite side to them, it's pretty straight forward.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Alan,

Go at your own pace and if you can't get your head around it then keep asking. It will eventually sink in.

Max,

Cheers , I'm that confident with my own words that the two double slips on my layout are not actually wired yet. Well they are wired, but not connected :

Cheers for now.

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
hello john, thanks for the tips all duly noted.
thank you
alan
p.s by the time you get here the tea will be cold:lol:

A K Worthington

Posted
Rating:
It seems there are 2 questions being answered here - wiring a slip and baseboard height………………….:roll::roll:

I'll leave slip wiring to the experts (but read along myself so I don't have to ask the same questions at a later date …..:oops:) but, regarding baseboard height, I think it's all been said.

It depends how tall you are, how long your arms are and what position you intend to operate from.

I like to view things from "low down" to get a better view of the layout - as John said, less of a bird's eye view.  Also, extra height allows easier access underneath.  I don't care how much planning and forethought you put in, as sure as eggs is eggs, you'll need to access the knitting under the boards at some stage, so make it easier from day 1.  Again as John said, you do need to access the rear of your boards so be sensible - the higher they are, the more restricted your reach will be.

I'd suggest you experiment with some kind of mock-up.  Put a board on a couple of cheap trestles and raise or lower it until it seems right for you.  I think mine are roughly around 40 inches but I could be wrong - I know I was once !!! ;-);-)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

here are 2 pics of a baseboard with legs temporarily in place. leg length 105cm or 42inches roughly. 
comments welcome as always
happy new year to all
alan

A K Worthington

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
How does it feel to you Alan,height wise,are you happy with it?.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Alan,

Certainly looks the part. If you are comfortable with the height for your use, then your on a winner.

Phase 1 complete.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
alan, all my previous layouts have been about 39 inches of th floor which was a little low to get under and solve any problems,at this height i would have to get use to it as it seems there is enough room for fault finding.having a lower back problem dictates how far i can bend and what i can do.

regards 
alan

A K Worthington

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
toto, due to an old back problem i found my previous layouts a little low,as this is a lot higher it will take a while to get used to. On the practical side its easier to get under and fix faults.
regards
alan

A K Worthington

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1063]alan worthington[/user] wrote:
toto, due to an old back problem i found my previous layouts a little low,as this is a lot higher it will take a while to get used to. On the practical side its easier to get under and fix faults.
regards
alan
I wish mine were as high Alan, but due to other requirements in the garage they are around 35 inches.

I have a similar problem and I'm not looking forward to working under them.

You can always get an adjustable height office chair to be able to sit at a comfortable level.

Ed  

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Alan,

What's the next item on the agenda ? Have you got any idea as to how your track plan will be panning out ?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.