Ubuntu - Linux

Posted
Rating:
#166353 (In Topic #9496)
Inactive Member
Here is my report.

I inserted the CD I received from Ubuntu into the laptop.

Nothing happened.

I fiddled around, trying to wake it up and finally half loaded it.

Now the Start Up process is compromised.

I'm going to have to format the C drive and reload Windows 7 Ultimate  and Windows Office Professional, as at this moment it has half an upload  stuck in it.

My advice; avoid Ubuntu - Linux like The Plague.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Max, you have lost me already.  What is Ubuntu - Linux?  It sounds like a rare tropical disease!

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I mentioned in another thread that I was having a look at Linux, Terry.

I gave an undertaking to report the results.

Linux is an Open Source operating system - as it Windows 7, etc.

It's really good - provided that your machine is 5 years or more old.  Modern machines can't use it.

I found this to my chagrin today.

I now have to get my spare laptop repaired.

Posted
Rating:
Ah, all is clear now Max.  Sorry to hear about that.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Ubuntu - Wikipedia

will give you some ideas.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Surprised you had a problem Max.

I've loaded Ubuntu from CD and direct from a web download, with no problems.

It should change the computer to dual boot, so that when you turn it on you get the option to boot-up either Ubuntu or Widows.

You shouldn't have lost the Windows partition of the hard disk, it's still there but the PC isn't booting from it.

I'd try loading Ubuntu again if possible, before formatting the hard disk.

Edit to add download address

Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Posted
Rating:
I struggle to understand much about Windows Max without worrying about Linux……….:roll::roll:

I did have a friend in UK who used it because he hated the Microsoft organisation but then he was a bit of a computer buff. :roll::roll:

I'd be surprised if Microsoft didn't put hidden blockers in their programmes to disuade people from giving them the push …………..:roll::roll:

Thanks for the report nevertheless - is it a major operation to sort out the laptop ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Max

Another thought, if you want to try again without using the CD you were sent, you can download the installation file on another PC and burn it to a DVD or memory stick.

Instructions are on the right of this page, scroll down a little bit.

Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hello Max,

I hope this is not your final verdict on ubuntu :shock:. I've been using it happily ever since the first version came out in 2004. Yes, I had some drawbacks, but I had more on Windows. For nearly 10 years I live without windows, and still am happy. :lol:

I think one of the main advantages of using (ununtu) Linux is you get everything you need for free - My favourites are LibreOffice, Gimp (which is a very powerful image manipulation software, its as poweful as photoshop), Inkscape (a vector drawing-application), Scribus (a desktop publishing software) and many more … and after all no viruses …:mrgreen:

As you mentioned your laptop is quite new, this could mean it has the so called "secureboot" facility. I know Ubuntu can be installed to computers with that facility, but I just didn't do it so far.

What I would recommend is to buy a book or magazine on ubuntu - the book / magazine should be quite new, as ubuntu is releasede every 6 months, or you could go to one of the numerous forums / wikis on the web with lots of friendly people to help you around your initial problems (just think back to the days when you tried to use windows for the first time).

I've just googled a few sites in English:
Ask Ubuntu
Latest Help and Information topics - Ubuntu Community Hub

There should be many more but my browser only comes up with sites in German. If you have a certain problem just google somthing like "ubuntu my special problem" - usually you find lots of advice.

I hope this helps a little

Best wishes and keep going

Helmut

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi guys.  Thanks for the inputs.

I'm really peed off with Microsoft and Mac is too far into left field for me.

I've been impressed with open source stuff like Libre and Open Office, so I thought I'd give Linux a go.

Not being very comp. lit., I thought I would approach it like any computer numpty and just whack the disc in and off we go.

Not so. 

My initial report is to warn non geeks like me that it's not plug and play.

Fortunately the laptop is spare, so I can format the SSD without going off the air on my other computers.

I'm lucky that I have a computer friend who will reload Win 7 Ultimate and Office Professional if I make a complete dog's brekky of it.

The Ubuntu forum is very friendly.  They seem to be speaking English, but . . . 

What I have been able to glean is that there is a part of Windows that is blocking the process.  They are suggesting I turn it off, but I figure that if I'm going to do that, I may as well format the whole thing and start again.

Posted
Rating:
Max,

It's a pity I do not live the next town - I would like to come over for an afternoon to give you some assistance to get you started ..:roll:

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
What I have been able to glean is that there is a part of Windows that is blocking the process.  They are suggesting I turn it off, but I figure that if I'm going to do that, I may as well format the whole thing and start again.
Very much doubt it Max, because if true I would suspect it would be illegal if not (if not impossible) for any operating system vendor to prevent the loading of any other.

Suggest you wait for your computer friend to have a look, but I really don't think you should need to format the hard disk.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Helmut.

Sol and I travelled to Victoria recently to help a beginner do the wiring on his turnouts.

Not a long trip - 800km each way.  :lol:

South Australia is still a backwater in many ways.  I'm used to plowing the first furrow.  :cool:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I just gave the System Restore another crack, Ed.

This time I got rid of the Ubuntu.  :thumbs

I'll go back to the Ubuntu forum and find the name of the roadblock.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It's called secure booting with UEFI.  They recommend it be turned off before Linux will load.

Posted
Rating:
Until I dropped it I had Linux on my net book. First Ubuntu which worked fine, but a bit slow. Then Lubuntu, a light version of Ubuntu which worked better  and finally Mint 15 which I think is Ubuntu based, not a geek, and it worked really well.

I even managed to have WINE running which meant some Windows programmes, but not all, would run. That really is the problem. The programmes one needs to use are all windows based.

However, if it is an older machine used for the internet and maybe basic office then I would go for Linux. Never crashed.

Not sure why you had problems; unless maybe dual booting which I must admit to having never got on with. As a clean boot though disc and SD card work fine.

Linux default for the Raspberry Pi and I intend to master that and see if it can ru a railway!!

If you have an old Windows XP machine that you can wipe the hard drive on try Linux on that.

End of experiences.

PS; sold remains of netbook on eBay. beter than the bin.

David

freelance model railways and tramways
index02

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
It's called secure booting with UEFI.  They recommend it be turned off before Linux will load.
Hi Max

For some reason I didn't get an email notification that you had posted again on this topic, just got one to say David had posted today, which made me have a look.

I think you have been a bit unlucky with the particular laptop you've chosen to try out Ubuntu.

Had a quick look at UEFI and it appears to be something Intel dreamed up to replace BIOS, basically it's like the bit that tells the hardware and the operating system how to talk to each other.

Looking around the web there appear to be various ways of getting around the problem, but it's not as simple as loading Ubuntu/Linux onto what has up to now, been a fairly standard PC with BIOS.

Not even sure how you would turn off UEFI, must be an option in the laptops configuration menu, which you would have to access on boot-up. Normally something like hold an 'F' key or combination of keys as it boots up.

If your not really happy with getting in to the 'nuts and bolts' of your laptop, I'd leave it on Windows.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Perhaps I'd better add some more background in the interest of completeness.

We have many computers here, including some Macs, which my wife uses in her work as an artist.

My collection includes my desktop, (Win 7 Ultimate) which we have just upgraded to an SSD, a Dell M4400 (Win 7 Ultimate) (upgraded to SSD), which I use for my Railroad & Co layout, a Dell D 830 (Win 7 Ultimate) which I use with my Lokprogrammer and other programmers, a Dell D 600 (Win XP) which I use for my main layout which also has a Lokprogrammer for speed matching.

Finally, I have the ACER Extensa 5630 (also a retired corporate laptop), which has had an SSD fitted.  This laptop is spare and is my platform for my foray into the world of Open Source.  Only once I am confident with open source would I ever consider changing my other machines.

Despite doing a restore, the Ubuntu boot option remains in the BIOS, but it goes nowhere.  I'm hoping to go back to the guy who did the replacement of the C drive this weekend.  I have a CD from Ubuntu and together I hope that we can make the ACER a stand alone open source machine.  No Windows whatsoever.

From time to time, Microsoft sends out updates which are annoying to say the least.  In response, I've dumped IE and replaced it with Firefox, dumped Live Mail and replaced it with Thunderbird, Libre Office, etc.  Linux seems to be a logical progression, but as with all these things it takes effort to find out the real story if you're not a proper geek.

I'll report back on our progress - or otherwise.  :lol:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Today I took the laptop back to the technician who installed the SSD.

We completely wiped the drive and then inserted the CD.

It got to the screen where I insert my name and stopped.  Nothing.

It will run off the CD, but it won't load Ubuntu on to the C drive.

I've left it with him.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I just had a text.  You MUST set a password.

No message or warning.  It just stops.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.