Village school

Posted
Rating:
#166219 (In Topic #9490)
Inactive Member
Sadly now rather worse for wear, but typical of the smaller village school, complete with outside 'facilities'.
© David Meaden

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for this David.  I can remember outside facilities in the school I went to in the early 60s, and it wasn't small.

Superquik have a village school in their range, these pictures would certainly help to kitbash that.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Ah, those were the days David, when kids could run amok in the playground and stove each others heads in with conkers - and we all had nits…nor health and safety.

Thanks for the memory.

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
My Secondary School was an old Army Camp. That had outside facilities as well, well they were outside but in blocks, one at one end of the school and the other at the other end, which was also the gym changing rooms and showers. There was about 600 kids at the school but I can never remember queues. The School itself was at the far end of the old Exeter Bypass, close to Middlemoor. It was about a three mile walk from home, which I had to make in both directions every day as there was no direct bus route and I smashed my bike up on the second day as a pupil there. We used to hang on to the back of a lorry and get a tow up the hill, but on this day the lorry missed a gear and started rolling back. I jumped clear but the bike was crushed under the rear wheels. Dad wouldn't allow me another bike as a punishment. Mind that was better than a sore backside.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
My first school was built out of timber and was run by a huge witch with an even huger  stick. Six across the rump with it for some poor sod was a regular sound echoing down the corridors from within her study every morning  after assembly - until Goering dropped a bomb on it -and her.

Mind you, "Ammunition Dump" painted one night in large red letters all over the roof helped !!

Cheers.

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
My first school was made of corrugated iron built in WW1, not sure what it was originally but it was locally known as "The Cowsheds" I went there from 1938 through '44. They knocked it down in the 1960s and built a permanent school which has just been extended, I now live about 250 yards away from it,  turned full circle you might say.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Schools the way I remember 'em, damp, cold, musty and life threatening !

Cheers.
Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Well, I may not be as, (dare I say it), 'old' as you guys.., But I do recall my primary school days where we were in a weatherboard building with a corrugated iron roof. In summer, I would say it was 3-4 degrees hotter inside than out and minus that in winter. We used to hang our school bags outside on the verandah where your lunch inside, warmed up inside like an oven ! On the really warm days, 36*+, we went outside for our lessons, sitting in a cicle under the largest shade tree in the playground.

How times have changed… These buildings are still there, but with modern reverse cycle air-conditioning, shades over the windows, electronic whiteboards etc, etc, and nobody now has the black board duster thrown at them for talking in class !

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Oh memory's, we used to skive from lessons by hanging on the coat hooks on the racks. Hidden by the long coats but alas after the second time we was caught and boy that cane hurt but we never did it again.
I recall that bloody black board rubber being thrown at us, if you did not duck it really hurt, no H and S then, :sad:.Cold milk in the winter and warm in the summer, no window blinds, so when the sun shone you could not see the bloody board and so got told off for not looking properly. Now they have blinds and in some case's tinted windows.
Oh yes how things have changed, is it for the better, in my view no, kids have no respect for anybody now.
Bring the cane back i say.

Phill
Oh the end of play whistle, had to stand still and not move till you was told to line up or you got a telling off or worse.

Posted
Rating:
Reminds me of my old primary school (building still there, but no longer a school). The boys and girls facilities were at the bottom of the playground. Running fast was a must when nature called during class time in those days.

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
The air raid shelters in my first skool were so rank that you were more likely to die of some obscure disease or a whiff of the headmistress's armpits during a prolonged raid than any of Goering's bombs !

During the school hols we kids would take out as many of the school windows as possible with our catapaults while some old crone who lived in the council houses opposite and knew us all by name would present the headmistress with a list of all the boys responsible on the first day back to school where each in turn would be furiously dealt with in her study by means of a most painful six of the best and who found great difficulty in sitting down for a week !  - but it was worth it - wasn't it always !!

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I remember catapaults,we used to make our own,then collect all the local milk bottles on our trollies and take them to a derelict building on the railway and spend all day having fun.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
We just sat quietly in class listening to teacher ................................:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:;-)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
We had no choice unless you wanted a sore backside.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I went to a boarding school and legged it away three times, was up before the headmaster three times and let off three times.

Two mates of mine on learning this legged it away themselves and each got eight of the best off the headmaster when they were brought back and another dose a week later off our housemaster in the library and in front of the whole house after buns, coa coa and prayers  for listening to me !

So who was the blue eyed boy then ? me, the best spin bowler in the county !

Allan.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:
I went to a boarding school and legged it away three times, was up before the headmaster three times and let off three times.

Two mates of mine on learning this legged it away themselves and each got eight of the best off the headmaster when they were brought back and another dose a week later off our housemaster in the library and in front of the whole house after buns, coa coa and prayers  for listening to me !

So who was the blue eyed boy then ? me, the best spin bowler in the county !

Allan.

Fancy a trip Down Under quest:

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
We need some  bowlers and more important batsmen who can bat. RIP England's hope of the Ashes.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I'm taking no joy out of this series.  Our players are behaving like louts.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=1235]60019Bittern[/user] wrote:
We need some  bowlers and more important batsmen who can bat. RIP England's hope of the Ashes.
Well you can't have Botham, he's far to busy these days raking it in advertising foot massagers !!

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
He deserves it for "Botham's Ashes" alone.PS i hate cricket.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.