Dapol figures - variations

Posted
Rating:
#165144 (In Topic #9440)

Painting and converting Dapol figures

It has been a while since I painted any of these figures, but a friend asked if I would paint a few figures for him while out here in Africa, so I agreed. The figures chosen are C08 Platform figures, ex Airfix, now produced by Dapol. There are 13 different items in the set and three sprues in the pack. Here is what you get, 36 figures in all:

I am sure every modeller is familiar with these old favourites as they turn up on hundreds of layouts. There are actually only 12 poses in the set and a luggage trolly. I decided to chop up the other two sprues to see if I could add some variety. On close inspection some of the figures are very difficult to convert, especially the two children and the rather odd guy with his coat over one arm. Anyway here is what I have managed so far:

Most of the changes are head swaps and a few arms. The guard figure has no arms at the moment - I am still trying to source some! A couple of the figures with caps and coats will make fine military officers. One figure has a suitcase added and a head change.

Last edit: by Bob K

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Figure painting is a area I really enjoy, I always like to pick up ideas on how to paint igures from others so please keep us updated.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Looking good Bob.:thumbs

reg

Posted
Rating:
Thats excellent Bob…..very imaginative. As you say they are very recognisable so a few subtle changes will make all the difference

Regards

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Nice work. I have often heard that the Airfix/Dapol figures are still some of the best/better on offer. Can't wait to see them painted.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Off with their heads!

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Last night I set about converting the tricky figures. First up is the odd guy with the stump for an arm, odd cap and coat over his right arm. This figure needed an arm change an an altered head. I have finished up with a guy pointing in a trilby and a man reading a paperback book bare headed. The original is on the left.

Next up is the old woman with shopping bag. I have removed that, adding a suitcase, turned her head and given her an umbrella instead of her handbag:

Finally the guard with no arms. I readjusted his head to look the other way and added two new arms. The schoolboy is hard to change so I just turned his head a little to liven him up. The young girl had the teddy cut away, a new head, new arm by her side and the coat carved:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Brilliant, Bob.  :thumbs   - if a bit pale . . .  :mutley

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=11]Novice[/user] wrote:
Next up is the old woman with shopping bag. I have removed that, adding a suitcase, turned her head and given her an umbrella instead of her handbag:

Bob

I think you've just created a very good likeness of Miss Marple.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
Tremendous!   Will you cut the flat bases off as I think they always spoil the illusion?   Are these N gauge Bob?

Ken

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
[user=34]Ken[/user] wrote:
Tremendous!   Will you cut the flat bases off as I think they always spoil the illusion?   Are these N gauge Bob?

Ken
Hi Ken.

The bases will be cut off eventually. The figures are 00 scale.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Very clever stuff Bob. :thumbs:thumbs

Do you have a "bits box" full of human bits ? :roll::lol:   If not, what's the average "kill rate" on a pack of figures ? 

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Very clever stuff Bob. :thumbs:thumbs

Do you have a "bits box" full of human bits ? :roll::lol:   If not, what's the average "kill rate" on a pack of figures ? 
I have a box full of bits from old kits - I never throw any parts away. Some of the figures have bits of Germans stuck on them :shock:

Posted
Rating:
Banned
[user=11]Novice[/user] wrote:
I have a box full of bits from old kits - I never throw any parts away. Some of the figures have bits of Germans stuck on them :shock:
…interacial alterations…?   Or is it 'interacial limber-ations…?

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Several months later………………………

I have finally finished these figures. Unfortunately work and several other projects got in the way and I had to set these figures aside and just work on them when I could.

Anyway, this weekend I finished them off and here are the results, 28 differnet figures from 2 packs of Dapol passenger figures:

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Holy cr*p Bob, those are superb!  An excellent job.  Are you going to let us into your secrets?
John

John

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
full tutorial in the forum index under "F",been there for yrs cheers
:thumbs;-):cool:

my webcam link 6.19.184.67:8080

Posted
Rating:
Banned
The figures have come up magnificently. The colours and tones are excellent. Tell me, do you use acryllics or matt enamels ?

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Couldn't find your tutorial in the forum, could you put a link to it please

Posted
Rating:
[user=878]Gary[/user] wrote:
The figures have come up magnificently. The colours and tones are excellent. Tell me, do you use acryllics or matt enamels ?

Cheers, Gary.
To be honest Gary I use anything that comes to hand. On these figures I used Humbrol and Revell gloss enamel, Humbrol, Vallejo and Testors acrylic matt paints. I used some acrylic gloss and metallic paints. I also used Tamiya weathering powders, which are especially useful on the black uniformed figures. By way of an example, when I had block painted the colours, I used a thinned down Humbrol Gloss Brown (10) as a shading medium. This left the figures all shiny, so a coat of Humbrol Matt varnish sorts that out.

As long as the paints are completely dry when you apply the next coat or detail you can mix and match with ease. If it does not work and looks wrong, wait until its dry and try something else.

Bob
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.