Wemblesden Park

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

00 gauge North London WCML

Going well Dave,
That cheap ballast is that the stuff that turns green after the glue mix is applied.?
Best of luck with the computer control thingy.

Derek.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Yeh the jarvis stuff I have had issues with before as it goes a lot darker when you appliy the pva mix. Best ballast I ever used was scalescenics that I used on potters lane.

Busy building a new show layout …..

www.westcoastminiatures.com

Posted
Rating:
Great progress Dave!

Could you tell me what adhesive you are using for building with Foamex? At the moment I'm using the solvent gel that plumbers use for PVC piping - it works, but I wondered if you used something else.

Shaun.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Shaun I just use normal bostik glue. ;-)

Posted
Rating:
Support framework for the booster transformers taking shape 

My first ground signal. Think the led's need dimming slightly !

Scratchbuilt signals at the platform ends.

After reading up on the MERG superbloc system last night I have worked out that I need 7 BC3 control boards per loop. I have so decided to run 6 coach trains as the maximum length as this will allow me to fit 2 complete trains in each fiddle yard road. As my baseboards are only 2' wide the maximum number of tracks I can have at the back is 10 so this will give me 2 storage roads per loop or put another way 4 trains per loop so this will be 16 different trains all fully automated. The spare 2 tracks at the back will be for the ECS trains through the carage washer and the loco shed stock.    

Hoping to get some more work done on the OHLE tonight ……..

Posted
Rating:
[user=1084]Westcoast[/user] wrote:
Hi Shaun I just use normal bostik glue. ;-)
Thanks Dave - I'll give it a go.

Shaun.

Posted
Rating:
A bit frustrated at the moment with my free time being used on other things like fixing the van, prepping the car for its mot, decorating, ect, ect ….. :roll:

Anyway I have managed to get some more of the OHLE gantries up and have made a start on the 'permant' electrics. After studying all the 'bumph' regarding the MERG superbloc system I have finaly worked out how to put the control system together. Each mainline loop will require 6 BC3 superbloc control boards. The automated fiddle yard needs 4 of these to regulate the trains with the other 2 controling the station stop and main viewing line. The superbloc system is designed to allow trains to run quite close together but for Wemblesden park I want to give the impression of the WCML complete with 4 aspect signals. To do this I have reverted to my old way of controling the signals by using reed switches and relays. By combining the signaling system with the control inputs on the BC3 control boards I can effectly have one train 'out front' at a time with the other 3 moving about in the fiddleyard. To control the station stop I have fitted some 24v timer relay modules that I have had lying about now for some time. These opperate the platform signals and 'stop' inputs to the BC3 modules. With the control system now finalised I have fitted the main transformers to the underside of the baseboards along with the timer relays and the relays for the signaling system. Whilst on the subject of signaling I have also scratchbuilt a large WCML style signal gantry located next to the north circular road bridge. I have another one of these to scratchbuild that will span the line next to the wash plant. A couple of weekends ago my mate Gaz popped down to see the layout for the first time and we discussed the construction of the 'other' layout that will fit in front of this one. This section Gaz will be building and will represent the north london line with 3 rail electrification and the london underground.

A note for everyones diary is the first booked show appearence will be march 2015 at the Perth Green MRC show in Jarrow. Hopfully by then the front section will be also attending.;-)  

For those who have not heard of the superbloc system there is a short demo video on you tube that can be found here …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcYlEhymrMQ&list=PLDAEAF5C68C02EFB4&feature=share

Posted
Rating:
A few overdue pics

First the underside of the corner baseboard showing the transformers, timer relays, etc. The banks of led's show the opperation of the signaling relays.

Above the baseboard the large smothing caps, bridge rectifiers, signaling relays and the main power relay

A night view down the baseboards

Some tempory lighting in the shed

Scratchbuilt ground signals look great

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I've just had time to sit and read through, Dave.

Very impressive.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Cheers Max. ;-)

Ok last week I 'obtained' some 9mm ply from work so have been able to cut the sides for the rear scenic baseboard sections. Heres a couple of pics to give a better idea of how things are devloping …

The upright board at the back is where the backscene will go whilst the 12" board sticking out the front shows how far the other layout will extend the full display outwards.

This row of houses was recovered from my old garden layout and are usefull for mocking up scenery. For the layout I will be building house backs more suitable for north london

At the moment im undecided on how to devlop the area behind the signal box as the upper level is a floor above the entrance WOOPS !! :roll: One idea is to cut away part of the baseboard and have steps leading down the other is to slope the rear section down so the rear houses have a 'steeped' look to them. Will have a think about this over the next week.

Posted
Rating:
Curently working on finishing the signal box

Posted
Rating:
Just seen your latest update Dave, some really impressive stuff you've done there. In particular, I like the track work in the last shot and the signal box is brilliant. Well done!

Last edit: by Barneybuffer

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Love the night shot.So atmospheric.:thumbs

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks guys. ;-)

A bit more progress with the ground floor of the signal box …

Posted
Rating:
Finished off the ground floor of the signal box today this including the fitting of a couple of LEDs and some fiber optics ….

Once fitted I glued the ground floor in place

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Stunning, Dave.  Those two guys look just right - if a bit shiny.

Posted
Rating:
Cheers Max might see if I can get some matt varnish to tone them down a bit. :thumbs

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Hope this works this time ( stupid usless internet dongle from O2 ! ) :roll: :Red Card

Right a small update first heres the underside of the control room floor showing the red & green leds mounted in small light boxes. These have mirrored vinyl stuck on the sides to allow the maximum amount of light to shine into the fiber optics.

Here is the upstairs bit

Upstairs floor fitted

Roof and windows fitted

View through the window. Must sort the shiney figures out before gluing the roof on. The panel lights will be controlled by the layouts signaling system.

My scratchbuilt 89001

I had to change the style of the windows from the original to allow a better view of the box interior.

A taste of whats to come

Rear entrance to the power box

Have a slight issue with the green leds bleading light into the rest of the box should be an easy fix.

Hopfully I should be getting my new broadband switched on on thursday so this should make updates a bit easer than present. :thumbs 

Posted
Rating:
First test train ran today …

http://www.youtube.com/v/hdfWaT-9-s0?version=3

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.