Forum Weathering project.

Posted
Rating:
#9461 (In Topic #928)
Guest user
Well we are now in the middle of the weather a wagon project and we have seen some superb work from members and also many varied techniques they have employed and materials used.
I think most members who have participated so far have felt it was easier to do than you perhaps initially think.
Time wise it does not have to take long to do so hopefully more members will be posting thier efforts soon obviously a few members have holidays so thier wagons wont appear till they return but thats fine.
So all members go to you stock boxes pick out a wagon and have a go i
assure you it is easier than you think and you can end up with a unique looking wagon. In the new weathering section now there is an immense amount of information and if unsure just post a question.
Go and pick your victim :lol:  :lol:
cheers Brian.W
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Brian.W
how about a gallery and make it a sticky? maybe a before and after pic of everyones wagons, then a link to each thread :lol:
not trying to make more work for you :lol:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thats a good idea Matt we will wait untill the project is ended then i will make a little showcase sticky of the examples before and after of members projects

cheers Brian.W
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Sounds good to me too.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Not sure when the "wagon weathering" project ended but I've just managed to have a bash at one.  A Bachmann 16ton steel mineral wagon with pressed end door.

Everything done was learnt from this forum - thanks guys !!!

Being impatient, I often couldn't wait for the acrylic paint to dry so made a bit of a b****cks in places but in other places, I'm fairly pleased with the effect.  Next time it will be better - practice gets closer to our "master" weatherers although a certain one in Australia may be some way off yet !!!

Several washes of very watery (perhaps too watery) mix of burnt umber, black, orange & yellow acrylic - allowed to run down from the top - followed by the same only slightly less watery followed by the odd smuge (in the wrong direction in places) of pastel burnt umber, red & orange all mixed up.  I did try some dry brushing with white to simulate bare metal but that hasn't worked - looks like the original grey body showing through.

I tried to replicate the shiny bit where the buffers touch but only ended up making the whole buffer look white !!!!

When I finally get around to practicing with the AB 128 airbrush I bought (again after seeing results from Novice, I think it was, on here), I plan to spray the underframe etc. with some track grime.

Please you experienced guys - give me some advice on how to improve on this attempt.

Last edit: by Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user
No two will be the same in real life so why be different in 4mm?  Looks good to me:exclam
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Looks great to me Peter, love the effect of peeling paint where the rust is - excellent!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
You should be well pleased with that Petermac.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Very good weathering project peter im sure you are well pleased with them.

It makes the wagons look far more realistic

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Looks very nice!
 The drybrushed white could be anything spilt on it.  I wonder if ordinary old graphite pencil could be used to get the bare metal look on the buffers. Maybe just black and white mixed.
 I agree with Ron when he says no two would look alike. Similar maybe. I think the look you've achieved is good and random, and while I admire the results people get with airbrushes, I sometimes think it can be a bit even.
 I often can't wait until the paint dries and that can result in some unexpected textures - some good, some not so good. Easy to cover with the acrylics though.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thought it might be a good idea to bring this thread to the front again, as we have been talking about wagons, maybe if members could start showing some of their weathered wagons,.

You can all weather a wagon in one night.

Even Peter weathered a wagon, look above, very good as well Peter :thumbs

Come on Guys show us your work, along with a "how you did it "

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Alan

The weather a wagon project was our first forum group project it was very succesfull and all of us learnt a great deal from each other if there was enough interest i cant see why we could not do it again im sure all of us could improve our skills weathering wise

cheers Brian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Whilst I really want to do something constructive, for the next couple of weeks, I'm going to be a bit "wagoned out" !!! :mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

The best thing to do is copy a photo if you want to get the weathering correct, also rust unless very fresh is not red or orange it is dark brown. I tend to paint on or stipple the rust patten and when dry get a glass fibre pen and rub over the rust area to blend the colour in, finally a light blow over with an airbrush to tone everything down.

David 

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
They look very good David and that's a good point about the colour of rust.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

Another of my rusty minerals

David

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Very Nice David

What did you use to achive those results, paints or powder, or both ?
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I'm up for another weathering project, Brian.

Start a new thgread "Forum Weathering Project 2010", let's all get involved weathering, asking advice and giving some tips and see how we get on. I'd like it to be expanded to include any item of rolling stock though (I can do my new 08 shunter then).

Perhaps members will be willing to let us display the results at the show in September, I'm sure that we can arrange some sort of display cabinet for this (and other) models.

We could always ask Brian Surgone to provide an example for us all to aspire to :exclam:exclam

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Its just enamal paints Humbrol Pheonix etc, the rust spots are stippled over with a paintbrush coping from a photo, and when dry use a glass firbe pen to take the edge off the rust spots, the procedure can be repeated many times, each time you get a more of a build up.

Davifd  

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Jeff if members show an interest i am happy to run  a forum project again bear in mind from memory there were only about 42 members at the time we did that so now with 120+ members perhaps more interest .

When we did it before all involved enjoyed it and we all learnt a lot from each other and varoius methods of weathering were used.

It is a good simple project that allows total novice weathering members to have a go ones with a bit of experiance to improve their skills and an oppurtunity for experts to help otheres improve thier skills.

So if more post in his thread  saying they are interested i will do it remember any old skanky wagon can be used to start with if your worried about cocking something up.

cheers Brian
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.