plastic sheet to use with a printer.

Posted
Rating:
#162346 (In Topic #9240)
Inactive Member

Best A4 clear sheet to use with a printer

:) Hi fellow member,s.

One of shunter,s questions.

Tell me what A4 clear sheet for printing out glazing frames etc is best for printer,s.

I think my printer is ink jet at least I am sure its not a laser job.

regards,

Derek.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
In my office supplies store, they sell acetate sheets.  On the packet, it should say whether they are suitable for ink jet or laser.  

I can imagine that getting the ink to stick to the acetate may be an issue.  I tried printing some transfers from an ink jet printer to transfer paper and the ink ran like billy oh (but then, I didn't read the instructions).

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I use to print out onto acetate when I was at University. There is a rough side and a smooth side. Make sure the rough side is taking the ink and there should beno problems.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks guys,
I will make sure the rough is used!

regards,

Derek

Posted
Rating:
Mine's an ordinary Epson Stylus inkjet printer Derek and I successfully use "Stabilo" Inkjet film, A4 size - Product Ref 7296.

It's o.10mm thick   I did initially have problems with it feeding through so I now sellotape it to a sheet of ordinary printing paper (just 3 tabs along the leading edge) and it feeds through almost perfectly.

To be honest, I can't remember if there's a rough side or not - I think not - but, if there is, then I'd print on that side.  I have had no problems with inks running. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I had used a sheet from a newsagent that they use in copying machines but found with inkjet printers, the ink runs off. Eventually I located a specific transparency sheet for Inkjet printers from within Australia
Celcast - not cheap though.

No doubt not much different to the brand Petermac mentions.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Just don't try using an ink jet clear sheet in a laser, it don't like being cooked!  Tune for maximum smoke!

I gave up ink jets as soon as colour lasers  got down to about £200. Cost per copy is way lower than ink jet, and printouts are waterproof.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Banned
If all else fails, lay the clear sheet over a printed copy of the windows on paper and tape down. Using black electrical/insulation tape, cut thin strips and overlay these on the clear sheet to form up the window frame pattern. I find cutting strips of electrical tape is easier if it is placed on a piece of glass, rather than a cutting mat.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
You can find insulation tape in different colours so you're not stuck (sorry) with black, strips from self adhesive labels (paper or vinyl) should work as well, either use it unprinted white or print it any colour you want, or print bands of different colours so you have some variety.

Another alternative is to used etched frames, obviously that costs more but looks better.

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
I use 3M overhead projection paper which is A4 size. They do 2 types. One for lazer printers and one for ink-jet printers. As others have said, make sure you print onto the dull side.

Regards,
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
I no longer print onto glazing sheet,  prefering to print the glazin pattern onto self adhesive paper then sticking it to the acrylic sheet then  cutting out the glazing by slicing straight through and then picking out the'glass' area with tweezers.

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thank you all for your posts and advice.
Oh just one more dumb question.
When you load paper into a printer.
Which side should be at the bottom rough or smooth when it feeds through.
Derek has a habit of just bunging in a bundle of paper sheets.

regards all.

Posted
Rating:
If it's an inkjet printer Derek, the smooth side should be at the bottom.

The paper runs under the print heads so, as you look at the paper tray, the side you see is the side that takes the print.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Printers with a paper tray below the printing area usually pick up the paper and feed it up and over, so the side to be printed is down in the tray, front and top feed print side up. My laser has a bottom tray, paper upside down, and a straight feed front tray, paper right way up. I've just been feeding the front tray with card and vinyl printing brick, stone a tile sheets to feed to the plotter cutter.

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
If it's an inkjet printer Derek, the smooth side should be at the bottom.

The paper runs under the print heads so, as you look at the paper tray, the side you see is the side that takes the print.
That's not always true Peter. As Mike has said, it depends on the make and model of your printer. I have an Epson which feeds in the 'up and over' way so the surface to be printed on is the underside when you load the paper tray.

Regards,
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
I stand corrected guys…………..:oops::oops:

All my printers have had a feed tray at the back of the printer - like a book rest - and feed the paper in and under the print heads, feeding the printed sheets out towards the front.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi, Chaps,
My printer is loaded like Peter,s its a dell 910.
Cartriges cost a lot so I am changing over to another brand.
An HP diskjet which cost me the price of a dell cartrige.
Plus the refills are around £12.
Dell charge 30 euro,s for the black and 45 euro,s for the colour so when the ink runs out goodbye Dell.

regards,

Derek.

Posted
Rating:
I had an HP Deskjet but, while they are adequate printers, I now have an Epson which has 6 ink cartridges and I find it gives much better colour definition than the HP. I don't use Epson ink cartridges though as I've found the 'pirate' ones are just as good and less than a quarter of the price.

Regards,
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Derek, as regards the question of acetic sheet.  There are plenty available, made especially for inkjet printers.  I bought a pack on ebay quite cheaply and have used it for printing Scalescenes windows with excellent results.  As others have said, you print on the slightly roughened surface.

As regards your expensive inkjet cartridges.  Why not try generic cartridges.  I use them all the time and get excellent results at a fraction of the price of the usual suspects.  Try here:

http://www.cartridgepeople.com/

Terry

P.S. Like Trevor above, I am also using an Epsom printer (cost £24 at some Cash 'n Carry) with four cartridges, all generic, bought from the link above.  Getting great results on all my Scalescenes models.

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thank you gentlemen,
It would seem there is quite a lot to this printing stuff.
Next task get some clear sheet and give it a go.

regards,

Derek
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.