Painting Hornby 00 Loco Crew Figures

Posted
Rating:
Les

I am so pleased you had a go at this, the result is excellent, they really look the part. Be nice to see a picture of them in a loco. I think you will agree that it is not too difficult, just requires a little patience.

Matt

With regards to painting combats, what era are you going for, modern DPM, olive green era or the old battledress?  Let me know and I will have a go at working it out.  If you go for DPM (camouflage) I doubt you will be able to use the dry brush technique very easily as this will wipe out the pattern.  Might have to use just washes.

Bob(K)
Online now: Yes Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Wow thanks guys for your comments - very much appreciated. :D  :D  :D

Chris - I wondered if anyone would notice the scarf - most firemen seemed to have them when I was a nipper. :wink:

Bob/Marty - taking a piccy of them in action was not easy. Also the driver will need alteration to make his seat fit in properly -  but here you go.

Just for Jeff I would have put them into a "castle" but he would have known that the drivers arm would have been in the wrong place so I went for the soft option with a Southern loco which was of course left hand drive. :wink:

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Bob(K)
it will be the modern DPM, i will open a thread in the projects section once the May one starts. saves hijacking this thread.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hey Les,
  Do you fancy trying some in N gauge,as I've got a lot of locos that need crews???
 :D  :wink:
Seriously very,very good indeed.
Cheers,John.B.

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Thanks John. I had to do the fireman's neckerchief with a pen knib so there is no way I could even attempt n gauge. That's for you young guys cos my eyes aint what they were anymore. :cry:

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Les, I appreciate the sentiments, but you have highlighted a problem with the driver.
I know that GWR crew are produced (Dart castings, I think :?: ) but I'm going to need to do some surgery sooner or later if I can only find Hornby ones at a good price :!:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well, they look right at home in there too me.  :D  Nice job.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:

Gwent Rail said

Les, I appreciate the sentiments, but you have highlighted a problem with the driver.
I know that GWR crew are produced (Dart castings, I think :?: ) but I'm going to need to do some surgery sooner or later if I can only find Hornby ones at a good price :!:

Jeff

I know Hornby have a model of a standing driver.  He is supplied with some of the 0-6-0 models and smaller diesels as a single figure.  I don't know if Hornby sell the crew figures as spares, but might be worth a try?

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
you can buy hornby loco crews at any model shop now since hornby
got into the scenery & lineside kits.
 :lol:  :lol:  8)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
OK, been down to the local model shop and I have found some Hornby figures, also some from Modelscene, which is part of Peco, but still no sitting driver suitable for my GWR locos (right hand drive).
Apart from Dart Castings pewter ones, anybody with any ideas :?:  :?:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Jeff, so far as I can tell you have identified the only option i.e. surgery to make the raised right arm into a raised left arm. :(

This really is a glaring omission from loco producers etc bearing in mind how many GWR origin locos are produced. :evil:

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
the only righthand driver i know of is the standing one in the
dapol figures kit.but his arm goes down  :roll:
GWR has to be different,typical!
 :wink:  :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  8)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Gwent Rail said

OK, been down to the local model shop and I have found some Hornby figures, also some from Modelscene, which is part of Peco, but still no sitting driver suitable for my GWR locos (right hand drive).
Apart from Dart Castings pewter ones, anybody with any ideas :?:  :?:

Jeff

Preiser do a right hand driver figure in HO scale, but he is standing, leaning out of the right side of the cab, item PR28038.  Here is a link for the figures which are sold by Guagemaster in the UK:

The Model Shop for Big Imaginations | Gaugemaster

He would paint up as a UK driver quite easily. Any use?

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Jeff

I also found this, look under Springside items.  Looks like a crew for a right hand drive loco - may work?

Locomotive Accessories

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks for the links, guys and the suggestions.
I've made a note and will investigate further at the Bristol show.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Thanks Bob. Also Jeff I would really like to know if you get anywhere at the show with this one. With three "Castles" a "Grange" and a "Pannier" to staff up it is important otherwise Devon Junction will become Southern Junction and we don't want that.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
MikeC wrote:
And very nice, too  :!:  :!:   Terrific step-by-step Bob, with a splendid result.  I like the matt finish as well.

Mike
Hi Bob.  Excellent job. But are these the figures that come in the packaging with the Loco, or does one have to purchase them separately.  Best wishes Kevin 

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Sorry about the late reply - 6 months :oops:.  The figures come with most of the locos and can be bought separately.

Posted
Rating:
Your 6 months is far better than the 13 years it took Kevin to pluck up the courage to ask you where you got them Bob !!!  :mutley :mutley :mutley

Good to hear from you - I was convinced you'd gone off to Liberia and been eaten by one of those snakes you showed us …………………..

Hope you're keeping well and enjoying retirement.  :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
We need an “ agree” button…..you have been missed Bob:thumbs
Best wishes

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.