Hornby RailRoad Class 31

Posted
Rating:

Improving RTR Locomotive

Weathering
As this is a long process, I will upload it a few steps at a time as I do them
Here is the initial loco, I will be working from the photos linked to in the research post

I firstly take some black acrylic paint, and with a wetted brush I apply this to the grills in the body side, I then remove the excess paint with a cloth by wiping in a downward motion, this way it leaves paint in the deep recesses of the grills, and any paint that smudges, doses so in the way dirt would be washed down the body side.

I then added yellow paint to the axle box caps with a very small brush.

this now leaves with a 'pristine' loco awaiting some proper dirt, I will update this thread as the project goes on
TO BE CONTINUED…..

Last edit: by new04db

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
And done with confidence too. You're certainly not scared to get stuck in Aaron.

I'll look forward to the next instalment.

Cheers

Toto.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1297]new04db[/user] wrote:
Thanks for the comments,
  • Ed - You know you want to turn to the darkside and have a few dirty diesels about on your layout, Green paint should be easily picked up from somewhere.
OK Aaron, I've turned and I didn't have to buy a tin of green paint ;-)

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Thats an old triang one isn't it? my other BR blue one I have is a triang one, but it runs like a pig because the motor brushes are worn, one day I will replace them as it is a nice model, it has got some interesting details and good depth to the mold, here is my old one.

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New

Posted
Rating:
next up, track dirt is added to the under frame and bogies, for this I apply acrylic burnt umber with a brush using downward strokes. building it up layer by layer until the correct depth of dirt is added, if too much is applied the use a wetted brush to remove the excess. 

I then added addition black dirt to the foot steps and the roof ladder steps using black acrylics and a small brush, and removing excess paint with a cloth, wiping in a downward motion.

still lots to do, so, still to be continued….

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New

Posted
Rating:
Hello,
Loving the blow by blow (or should I say brush) account
Regards
Stephen

Acording to a recent visit to a supermarket at check out time, I an not loosing my memory it has been downgraded which means i am not stupid afterall - Sorted! - What a relief

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Hi Aaron

Yes, an old Triang one in green.

Once I get it working properly I'll try and follow what your doing to improve it a bit.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
Hi Aaron

Yes, an old Triang one in green.

Once I get it working properly I'll try and follow what your doing to improve it a bit.

Ed
if you find a supplier for the motor brushes let me know, it would be nice to get the old beast running again, its just one of the many things I have just never got round to doing.

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
I exchanged the brushes but no luck, seems the motors gone, probably its age and that it has not been run for about 3 or more years.

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New

Posted
Rating:
Weathering continued.
to finish the loco I did a number of things, but all involved black acrylics, 
  1.  building up soot around the two roof exhausts by dry brushing around them and in the directions soot would build up as the loco moved
  2. with a black wash, I washed the nose end of the loco and then removed the excess paint, leaving paint in the recesses, removing paint in a downward motion.
  3. with very little paint on the brush dry brush in a downward motion all over the locos roof and body sides, creating random streaks, pay attention to how the rain would run off the loco
  4. add a little black to the axle caps to represent grease
  5. dry brush the bogies to break up the consistence of the track dirt

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Aaron,

Looks fantastic, nice and used looking. Like the dirty nose. Ha ha.

Well done

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Just spotted that the hornby railroad class 31 is now at £42, after part-exchanging my previous class 31, I am tempted to repeat this project as a class 31 would go well on kingsmead II

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New

Posted
Rating:
Worth it at £42 just for the chassis, if you have any Lima ones lying around in liveries you particularly like.

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Before I went to the Dark Side, I used to say you can never have enough Pugs.

Now I say, you can never  have enough Class 31s.

Ed

(Didn't I just say that about tools :???:, am I repeating myself :shock: )

Posted
Rating:
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
Before I went to the Dark Side, I used to say you can never have enough Pugs.

Now I say, you can never  have enough Class 31s.

Ed

(Didn't I just say that about tools :???:, am I repeating myself :shock: )
Class 31's were quite common across most regions if I'm correct, so you can easily get away with more than one,
I'm glad the price has just dropped as I have been looking at the Hornby class 31 'Skinheads' on olivias trains, But i Cannot justify £160 for one, If I can redo this project, I know I can get a passable class 31 for half that, maybe less as i think I might have a few left overs from the previous project back at the family home.

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Loads of 31s in Eastern Region (which I'm trying to sort of stick to) allocated to Stratford.

I've pictures of Class 31s and Class 37s working the West Anglia main line and even on the Bishops Stortford to Braintree branch, before it shut.

Class 55s worked out of Kings X until replaced by HSTs and my Class 86s are totally modellers license :lol:

You can't really go wrong for £42.

If I hadn't just bought a Railroad Gronk partly with some vouchers I got for Christmas, I'd be asking where you get one.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Took the jump and ordered on, railroad class 31 project, mark II

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.