Windows XP Support

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:

I switched to Chrome a couple of months ago and immediately found a significant improvement in performance.  However, I still have to use Explorer to view DCC Concepts' site.

John
Even with Firefox, DCC Concepts site Home page is useless but clicking anywhere in the left hand side blocks, takes you a correct looking page & then navigation is OK.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Just a reminder for anyone using XP.

Windows XP support has ended - Microsoft Support

(not sure if this link isn't partially an advert)

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Interesting comments.

I too have XP as my OS and feel quite miffed about the possibility of HAVING to purchase new software.

The initial outlay for XP was not cheap especially for those of us on limited incomes after retirement.

Would it not have been in the interests of Microsoft to offer a discount to users when they HAVE to upgrade rather than having to fork out for the complete item?  Sort of loyalty arrangement?
Peter.

Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little all would be done!

Posted
Rating:
At least we won't have endles popups saying "Updates are ready for your computer"

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I've got a computer here that is still running Windows 3.11 and Dos. Its fine for internal stuff like word processing, in fact I've got Word for Dos running on it and there are things in that which you can't do on the latest versions, and it runs sweetly on 8meg of memory.

Last edit: by 60019Bittern

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Well I finally bit the bullet and upgraded, I started to do some video work and the Gateway dual core pentium running at a bit over 2GHz couldn't hack it quick enough  to be viable, so I now have a Quad core AMD running at 4.1GHz with 2TB of hard disc and 8 GB RAM, at the same time I decided to get Win 7 pro 64 bit, I still have one of my old Gateways running XP (and still getting up[dates!)

I'm running 7 in "Classic" mode, but not finding it anywhere near s intuitive as XP, the task bar takes a bit of getting used to and Windows Explorer even more so; I was trying to delete folders that I never use like My pictures, My Music and suchlike and kept getting a message saying I needed permission from "Trusted Installer" I finally found a way round that, a small registry tweak that gives an extra entry in the drop down menu that appears when you right click a folder or file, it says "Take ownership" when clicked on that runs a command line sequence that kicks Trusted Installer out of "ownership" so allowing you to edit delete or move the file.

Surprising the amount of garbage I've managed to get rid of and some things go a bit quicker. It operates in Vista, 7 and 8.

[Tip] Add “Take Ownership” Option in Files and Folders Context Menu in Windows – AskVG

Click on the Download link, run the file when download is complete; right click on any folder or file that Windoze tries to prevent you from accessing and select "Take ownership"; you can then delete, change or copy etc.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Good for you Mike.  I did the upgrade including a new computer in January ($$$$$!!).  I don't regret it but, as you say, it does take some getting used to.  At least with Exploder 11 (is it?) my internet experience is less fraught, although I do have problems here (still) and on RMWeb.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
Well I'm still running XP and since the cut-off date I've had less problems than I've ever had before!!!!!

I should mention that I have a wonderful anti-virus programme "Kaspersky Internet Security"  - which is free if you have a Barclay's Bank account - and so far no nasties have slipped through.   I'm also still using Internet Explorer which I much prefer to Chrome or Firefox and will continue to do so as long as possible.   Better the devil you know……………;-)

Ken

Last edit: by Ken

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
I had to replace my computer some time ago and couldn't find one loaded with XP so had to change (to 7).

It is still taking some getting used to …………………….  For what I use this thing for, I don't think 7 is a patch on XP although that could be that I'd used XP since I progressed from Dos so had got used to it …….:roll::roll::roll::roll::lol:

This desktop crashed a week or two ago and had to be re-loaded with everything.  Many of the settings were altered in the process and I can't remember how to get back to where I was so I'm not a happy bunny with computers at present.

I really don't know why they must constantly change things that work very well. :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I've got five computers in my train room, for various purposes.  I've changed all but one of them over to Win 7 Ultimate from XP, as XP doesn't have the functionality for me.  I've also gone to solid state C drives, which has been a huge improvement.

It's important that the computer has enough muscle to run Win 7.  The reason I still have one machine on XP is that it isn't powerful enough for Win 7 and it kept crashing, so I went back to XP.  I only run Zug and my second Lokprogrammer on it, so the slow speed isn't too much of an issue.

The Lokprogrammer doesn't like Win 8, so until ESU upgrade the software I'm happy using Win 7.  Win 7 also runs Railroad & Co and Photoshop really well.  I have them on separate laptops as the solid state drives only have 128 Gb of space.  I've got little 1 Tb USB drives for storage on each of them, which keeps everything tidy.

I've abandoned everything except Firefox now.  It works everywhere.  Similarly I use Thunderbird for my emails as I get between 100 and 200 per day, so I have to have something reliable.

I'd like to use Libre Office or Open Office instead of Microsoft Office, as their documents are far superior.  However other people have trouble managing them, so I've had to go back to MS just for a quiet life.

This is how I've distilled my computing facilities, for what it's worth.  I've had a lot of help, as I'm not much of a geek.  The main thing I've learned is that the computer has to be powerful enough to do the job.  At least 4 Gb of RAM.

With so many emails/day viruses occasionally strike.  I bought the professional pack of Avast, which has powerful virus cleaning scrubbers.  It also has an email Help Desk which the free one doesn't.  The pack costs A$60.00/year and will do three computers.  I also run the free version of Malwarebytes.  Both scrub the drives in the background on start up.

I also have Ccleaner which deletes all but my quarantined cookies and browsing history on start up.  This is freeware and is important to stop forums hanging.  Recently I had a problem with the Yahoo forums not opening, and it was simply a matter of taking the old Yahoo cookies off the quarantine list, running the Ccleaner and then reinstating the new cookies.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing.  All I want is a peaceful life and this set up does that for me.

I hope you found it interesting.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
G`day Folks,
                I am still running XP on an old computer. It is being used for this reply. It`s a Dell 40 gig hard drive, 512mb RAM 2.8ghz processor. I got two of them on Ebay for $40. I run Chrome, CC Cleaner, Defraggler and no virus protection, no updates….I switch them off. It runs very sweetly when you don`t clog it up with constant searching for updates. The other one is running my CCTV on my railway. The thing with Windows is that when you load up any computer with info that exceeds more than half of the drive, it starts to run slow. So what ever you have, don`t clog it up with useless info.
                All my information that can`t be lost is kept on USB sticks……photos, documents, train stuff etc. If the computer dies or is attacked by a virus, my information is safe. I think this point is critical for anyone regardless of what system you are using……keep your valuable information separate on a stick. I even have a copy of my address book saved. If the system fails….I still have my info safe.
               I have delved into the Linux system and it is really good. The problem with it is drivers for printers. This is one thing that you have to consider carefully before going into it because possibly your printer won`t be able to talk to the computer……..no go in other words.
              I tried Puppy Linux on a computer with 256 RAM and 20 gig hard drive. The whole operating system loads into the RAM and it was blindingly fast but basic at the same time.
             Anyway…..when XP finally dies…….I will be going over to Linux……it may be a pain at first to set up but at least it is constantly being developed and it`s free!!!……so you can try any number of versions until you find one that suits.
:cheers   Gormo

"Anyone who claims to have never made a mistake, never made anything!!"

https://sites.google.com/site/greatchesterfordmodelrailway/home

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
For anyone wishing to run Lokprogramer  with Win 8 you need a FTDI chip set cable.

I have Win 8 laptop which talks nicely to older blue lokprogramer.

Cheers

Ian

Any DCC is better than no DCC

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=1224]gormo[/user] wrote: 
             I have delved into the Linux system and it is really good. The problem with it is drivers for printers. This is one thing that you have to consider carefully before going into it because possibly your printer won`t be able to talk to the computer……..no go in other words.
              I tried Puppy Linux on a computer with 256 RAM and 20 gig hard drive. The whole operating system loads into the RAM and it was blindingly fast but basic at the same time.
             Anyway…..when XP finally dies…….I will be going over to Linux……it may be a pain at first to set up but at least it is constantly being developed and it`s free!!!……so you can try any number of versions until you find one that suits.
I'm with you Gormo.

I now have Ubuntu/Linux loaded on both my Windows 7 desktop and laptop PCs so they are both dual boot.

Windows knows nothing about Ubuntu sitting in a different partition on the same hard disk, but Ubuntu is clever enough to be able to read the Windows file system. So if Windows 7 gets corrupted a I can load Ubuntu and still read my data files in the Windows folders.

If you couldn't get a printer to work, it could be because you were using the cut down version. I haven't had any problems with drivers but I've only two printers and an old camera.

Apart from anything else, I've found a much nicer desktop wallpaper than I had in Windows.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Howdy Ed,
                Where did you find that wallpaper???……..I love it!!
 How do you find Ubuntu…….is it up to speed.?? These linux systems are constantly being developed, however I think in doing so they are becoming resource heavy ,but still they appeal to me. Once you get used to doing things in a slightly different way……..they`re fine.
:cheers  Gormo

Last edit: by gormo

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Hi Gormo

I can't find the site that I got the wallpaper from, but it was in the public domain so I've loaded the jpeg in to my gallery.

Feel free to download and use it, but I couldn't get a good fit in Windows.

In general I've found Ubuntu faster than Windows 7, but for a start there's no internet security software to load into memory at startup.

I've only been using Firefox to browse and LibreOffice to edit a few documents so far, but I have found a program called ZIM which allows me to create linked notes, similar to Microsoft Office OneNote.

There are a couple of things I can't do, such as SCARM only works in Windows so I can't do any further 'tweeking' of the layout plan (maybe not a bad thing) and Photplus X5 which I've just started playing with is a Windows program so won't work. I've no doubt there is a substitute photo editing package around if I look, but there's no rush.

I am going to stick with Ubuntu for the next couple of weeks and just dip in to Windows 7 once or twice a day, to keep the Internet Security up to date, make a note of any websites I want to add to my bookmarks and check for any other programs I sometimes use that I may need to find a Ubuntu/Linux substitute for.

Watch this space, as they say.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks Ed,
               I will try your Jpeg for size and see how it goes. I am sure I`ve seen somewhere ( can`t remember details now ) that there is a broad spectrum of Linux applications that can be downloaded.
              Model railway specific apps. though I think would be few and far between, however there is enough software out there to more than cover the spread of windows apps.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Just when you thought, I really must upgrade that Windows XP machine now it's not supported……………….

Microsoft unveils Windows 10 system with Start Menu - BBC News

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I've got  one on Xp as well Ed, still, it's not going on line so it won't matter too much. I'm only using it as a file dump.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Got rid of my XP laptop ages ago Mick.

I've been running Linux - Ubuntu for the past two and a half months in preference to Windows 7.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
The one I have on XP is a desktop. It's a reasonably current Fujitsu Siemens that I found in our back lane after some students left the area. I took it home, basically for spare parts, but when I plugged it in it worked. Reformatted the drive, added two more 80GB hardrives and now it is ready to put some of my photos onto it. 280 GB of storage space for free.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.