Your Model Railway Village

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

New multipart magazine

I had a look at it too, but according to the bumpf in the package it completes in 120 issues? £120 x 9 = £1080. Maths don't work out somewhere (even Harrods would be cheaper than that) and you can almost guarantee that the points will be 1st radius set track. Add to the £1080 the cost of a loco (not provided) and controller (again not provided) it looks like a big rip off. Still as has been said before £3.99 for a Mk. 1 isn't too bad. Ideal for a beginner or the kids layout, or better still butchery without the cost of a decent one. And I've been racking my brains (or whats left of them) for a way to get into it. By the way as we are talking about part-works I have three of the A3 kits and they are still waiting to be built but alas I doubt they never will be (eyes and arthritic fingers). Oh the penalties of growing old.

Last edit: by 60019Bittern

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Have a look at some of the other forums, there are some threads discussing modifying the coach.

I'm sitting here all bemused by the furore this has unleashed - with some people almost fanatical in buying as many copies of the first edition as they can, with others trawling shops looking for copies that might have been missed.

From the pictures I've seen, this coach looks to be, IMO, very much inferior to the Bachmann Mk 1.

As you say, the quality of the pieces may be useful for a child's layout.  I would say that a trainset would be better value than this.

I bought this some while ago:

http://www.ehattons.com/17927/Bachmann_Branchline_30_016_Jinty_Suburban_complete_train_set/StockDetail.aspx

I think it was 99 pounds but time has dimmed my memory.

At the time I desperately wanted some maroon Mk 1 suburbans which were not available separately.  I thought the Jinty was a good deal since I know this to be a good loco (and so it has proved, now fitted with sound), despite the fanciful lined livery.  I gave the track and controller away.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
The magazine is terrible but you don't get the chance to realise it before you buy as it comes in a sealed bag. However, for £3.99 the coach has to be a winner as it is certainly worth that. It is a definate candidate for a work in progress piece.

As has benn said, I think the first issue will have sold out but the rest, :hmm……..I really don't think so.

If no commitment is required when some of the other more desirable freebies are issued then they may sell more, otherwise……..me thinks not.

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Well, Toto, you may be right that the coach is worth 3.99 but, as I said earlier, to bring it up to Bachmann's standard you would need to add a lot of bought in components and quite a few hours of work.   It's also worth mentioning that trains consisted of more than just a rake of open seconds.

My view of the world is that it is better to buy the highest standard model that's available (Bachmann's Mk1 in this case, and I have several) so I can focus my efforts on things that may not be as readily available.

I was also interested to read that some people think the final layout (~ 6' x 7') is too big.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi John,

I agree with you as such. Personally I strive to buy the best I can afford as I'm sure most do. Prior to buying the magazine with the free coach, I had just purchased 5 Bachmann maroon coaches of various types at a Bachmann promotion day and a further 4 from Hattons as the promo day did not stock all the variations that I wanted.

I seen the advert on TV and saw the magazine in Asda. It looked ok. Not great but worth the money. I bought it with the intention of using it for " medical experiments " at some point as my modelling skills are very limited. I was thinking, weathering or changing couplings, or a practice ground for DCC lighting and if all else failed, turning it into a dilapidated workmans bothy or workshop. Four pound well spent I think.

I also think that in general, the publication as a whole is aimed at a junior market because as I mentioned before, the magazine was rubbish. Any experienced modeller would not have gleaned anything even remotely new or informative from the magazine in my opinion. I did not spend much time reading it myself as I could immediately see where it was going and who it was aimed at  ( and I'm a newbie to this hobby as well ).

In summary, this product has its place for the price charged whether as an actual coach to run for a more junior enthusiast or perhaps anybody who may be finding it tough to allocate funds to what is an expensive luxury these days. Food on the table first and all that. Or, as I suggested, as a basis for a project.

How will you use yours………….

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ah well, as the victim of medical experiments and if it furthers the science then it is money well spent.:lol:

It is a structured albeit expensive to create a layout so, for someone who wants to dabble as a first timer, maybe there is value.

My point about the train set is that you get something started much quicker and for a bit more money you can buy the extra track and some buildings - and then off you go.

I get Model Rail, BRM and Hornby Mag every month and continually ask myself why - there is rarely anything new to me and the layouts, TBH, are usually not better than average.  I also get Model Railway Journal which is always a pleasure.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi John,

I see where you are coming from. Doing it the magazine way would take forever and cost a fortune, where by setting out a modest amount at the beginning gives you an instant " set " and instant use.

I buy the usual magazines every month as well with the exception of the journal as I think that's its a bit heavy a read for me at the moment and at my time in the hobby. But who knows …… Maybe in time to come.

And yes………the Bachmann MK 1's are fantastic especially the weathered versions.

Meanwhile, I wonder if The Model Railway Village is going to give away a Metalsmiths 70 ft Cowan and wot sit motorised turntable in their next offering….:hmm ………maybe not.

Cheers for now

Toto.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
We can dream. But I think I agree with you Toto, nothing there for anybody with the slightest knowledge of the hobby. I don't think I will be rushing down to W. H. Smiths each week to get the next  thrilling??? instalment although the station building doesn't look too bad, but will probably need about thirty issues to complete it. As for the usual run of the magazines. I take all four of the British ones but am seriously thinking of reducing this. They have all got much of a muchness now and I don't really feel like paying out nearly 14 quid a month on a load of adverts, which seems to make up a good 70% of the magazines, and virtually all of them selling exactly the same stuff and this being mostly the big dealers, but by the time you have added on postage and packing you could probably do a better deal with your local model shop. Perhaps I'm just getting to be a grumpy (and broke)  old man.

Posted
Rating:
I find the publishers logic a bit flackey, as Toto points out, the magazine is thin on information or how to's - I would have thought the first issue would be out to impress. Additionally, as is often pointed out in the printed press, we tend to model the era around our childhood, so picking late fifties / early sixties for the layout, and aiming at the younger generation seems not to fit.

As for the coaches, mine will also be a test ground, firstly for underframe butchery, then weathering practice. I dont fancy pointing the new airbrush at the newly arrived Bachmahn Cl 105 DMU, similarly I have just ordered a couple of Dapol (ex-Airfix) loco kits for target practice.

Paul

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Paul, look on Ebay as well, you can pick up used loco bodies for a prices a lot  less than Dapol kits. OK some of them might not be perfect but for practicing its worth a look. If they don't turn out right you can always soak them in brake fluid and start again.

Last edit: by 60019Bittern

Posted
Rating:
I must admit, I was window shopping in Hattons website, when I came across the Dapol Kits and nostalgia got the better of me, I remember these kits when I were a lad - knee high to a grasshopper……. so my finger did the talking. Pity they dont have the boxes they used to come in tho'.
When I ordered up my pair of 105's, I forgot to order decoders, glad I ordered the 2 coach sets and not the 3 coach sets, when I have to fit a decoder in each coach, so giving Hattons decoders a try.

Back to the coaches, for such a cheap coach, I am impressed with the close coupling of these, and they work well both being pulled and propelled through a 3way and double slip and a dodgy board joint - I forgot to tighten up the dropin section.
I'd buy the bogie / coupling setup on its own.

Paul

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Have built a couple of the Dapol/Airfix/Kitmaster kits in my time and motorised a few of them. With care then can work out quite well. Have a look at my other topic (Motorising the Dapol Railbus). Might tempt you to have a go??

Posted
Rating:
I've actually done that conversion, I used a pair of etched wagon W irons, a small motor, all slung under the floor, and in P4 to boot - I needed a loco to run a layout, it was twenty years ago. I've just dug it out of the shed, its looking a wee bit tired, but I will have to try and find a 12V dc power supply to test if it still works.

Paul

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
G`day Folks,
                  Well it`s taken a little while, but this magazine has just hit Australia..

Today I was working at Newcastle (2 1/2 hours in the car each way ) and while I was away my beloved wife bought me issue 1 as a little treat. She spoils me because she loves me  :lol:

OK…..the coach is not up to Bachmann of Hornby standards. It`s coloured plastic and simply made ,but if you want to make up a rake of coaches or fill up your fiddleyard, it`s cheap……AUS $ 8.00. The purists will be dry reaching by this stage…I`m sorry !!!

These coaches with some detailing or even a full on respray, reconfigure or whatever would scrub up pretty well.

I am going out tomorrow to get some more and they can run as they are for the moment but in the future they might get a make over.

Cheers Gormo

Apologies to the purists.

"Anyone who claims to have never made a mistake, never made anything!!"

https://sites.google.com/site/greatchesterfordmodelrailway/home

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi ,

Mines has been a test vehicle for my track laying to date. And there will be a few other uses for it going forward. I won't destroy it for the sake of it but it could maybe end up a bothy for my workers .

I have the Bachmann examples which will be lucky to see the light of day as I  done away with any plans to run passenger trains at the moment. If I had managed to work the hidden storage area into my layout, it would still have been a  goer even as run through traffic. Never mind.

Gormo, empty the shelves my man. If your attempts on upgrading rolling stock are half as good as everything else you have produced …….. You are onto a winner.

Cheers for now.

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
I went looking for this magazine in 3 local newsagents. Two never heard of it and the other had sold out ! Oh well, issue 2 is out next Thursday I have been told.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wouldn't worry, you ain't missing much. :mutley

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
No, I wasn't…, but young Jack is !

Cheers, Gary

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Oops, never thought of that one Gary. I'm sure if you trawl around enough you'll come across a copy complete with carriage.

Keep looking:pedal

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.