Your Model Railway Village

Posted
Rating:
#160986 (In Topic #9134)

New multipart magazine

Hi All

Just picked up two copies of "Your Model Railway Village" magazine by hachette Partworks Ltd.
Mounted on the front cover is a MK 1 coach, in Maroon lined but no lettering. At £3.99 I thought it was worth a punt.

Paul

Sorry if this appears twice, but I tried earlier to post, and it didnt appear.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Paul, is there any indication as to who manufactures the coach?

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry

Not a dikie bird. The package only had made in China, and the importers name - Hachette Partworks Ltd.

It couples up quite close, and the couplings extend as the bogie is rotated.

The underframe is solid between the trusses.

Paul

Posted
Rating:
Not exactly cheap if you subscribe to the whole collection. Buy a Hornby Track mat, a DCC starter set with a Jinty and a few Metcalfe kits to save yourself a shed load of dosh!

Posted
Rating:
May be worth while doing a bit of selective buying if that's possible, some items like the coach might be value for money, subsequent issues a bit of wait and see, (But I'll have to wait for the N gauge version.)

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
So, what exactly is Your Model Railway Village about?  Are they going to give you a different building each week, so it eventually ends up costing more than a real village?  Seems a rather strange topic for a part-work.

It opens up all possibilities for other, rather obscure part-works:  how about 'Your Bicycle Chain'.  You get a link every week and after 48 weeks you end up with a bicycle chain, which has only cost you £240.

or..

how about 'Your CD Rack'?  Collect one tier every week.  After five years you have a four-feet tall wire CD rack, costing only £5,000!

Any other ideas chaps?

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
You'll only need to wait a few months and they'll be cluttering up Ebay in much the same way that Del-Prado do now; I've tailored a search of N gauge locos excluding any form of del, prado, or static and some still get through, same with a load of pages of nameplate decals for Farish and Dapol locos, exclude those and del prado and you reduce the N gauge locos  pages by half.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Would it be possibly if you could get some close up photo of the coach you have got, usually the stuff that comes with magazines can be stock that has been reject by a company (such as bachmann or hornby) and therefore sold off cheap to the magazine as it has no brand name or meets the quality of brand named stock, I got a feeling by the look of it that its bachmann coaches that have not passed the quality checks.

£25.29 from Hattons, can you spot what the defects are on the coach you have when compared to this coach (minus the factory weathering) 

Last edit: by new04db

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New

Posted
Rating:
[user=1397]Dorsetmike[/user] wrote:
May be worth while doing a bit of selective buying if that's possible, some items like the coach might be value for money, subsequent issues a bit of wait and see,…..
Usual after the first four issues they no longer stock the magazine at newsagents and only those who have subscribed to the magazine will continue to receive, which is to stop people picking and choosing which copies of the magazine they purchase, which is unfortunate, but if the company didn't do this, everyone would buy the issue that comes with the Jinty loco for £8.99 and they would make a massive loss.

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
So, what exactly is Your Model Railway Village about?  Are they going to give you a different building each week, so it eventually ends up costing more than a real village?  Seems a rather strange topic for a part-work.

It opens up all possibilities for other, rather obscure part-works:  how about 'Your Bicycle Chain'.  You get a link every week and after 48 weeks you end up with a bicycle chain, which has only cost you £240.

or..

how about 'Your CD Rack'?  Collect one tier every week.  After five years you have a four-feet tall wire CD rack, costing only £5,000!

Any other ideas chaps?

Terry

And i thought i was a cynic.:mutley:mutley:mutley

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
There's a thread on RMWeb about this.  Some contributors consider the coach to be a bargain.  Comparison with the Bachmann Mk 1 shows there are differences such as molded roof pipes and plain gangway.  Also slight moulding differences.  No-one has figured out the manufacturer - there was speculation about an enterprising Chinese business person knocking someone's off.

The publisher will get the very good news that issue 1 has sold out at a record pace (some people bought several issues for the coaches). Unless he reads the forums, he will not realise that this is where it could stop.:mutley

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:
There's a thread on RMWeb about this.  Some contributors consider the coach to be a bargain.  Comparison with the Bachmann Mk 1 shows there are differences such as molded roof pipes and plain gangway.  Also slight moulding differences.  No-one has figured out the manufacturer - there was speculation about an enterprising Chinese business person knocking someone's off.

The publisher will get the very good news that issue 1 has sold out at a record pace (some people bought several issues for the coaches). Unless he reads the forums, he will not realise that this is where it could stop.:mutley

John
I wonder if they are Hornby Rejects then? :hmm

Last edit: by new04db

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New

Posted
Rating:
Well, we know that the Hornby Mk 1 is due anytime (September according to Hattons).

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hi Guys

I have no real intention of buying any more issues - but may be tempted for another coach ;-), but thought £3.99 for a coach wasn't a bad deal.

Paul

Posted
Rating:
Hi Guys

I dont think Hornby or Bachmahn will be too worried, as requestred hears some pics.

The last one is probably it achilees heel - looks like a job for the dremel.

Overall length approx 255mm, over the buffers 265mm

Paul

Posted
Rating:
It's worth the money for two bogies for a free-lance O/16.5 project…?

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Yikes, the cruelty of close-ups.  Bodies look to my eye to be coloured plastic, not painted.:sad:

Still, for the brave and enterprising, these could be the basis for upgrade.  Repaint, reline, replace underframe bits with those from Comet.  Replace moulded pipes with wire etc.  Of course, by the time you're done you've spent more than the cost of the Bachmann Mk 1 and put in several hours of work.

Nothing like being able to say: "I did that.";-)

John

John

Posted
Rating:
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:
………Nothing like being able to say: "I did that.";-)

Knowing my luck though it will look worse than a bachmann coach as well  :mutley

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New

Posted
Rating:
Banned
I wonder if Hornby sold off it's tooling for their old Mk1s'… There are quite a few similarities, apart from the solid truss rods. Then again, making them solid would make them rather cheap to manufacture.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
I see that Hornby are still flogging coaches made from 80s tooling.  They tend to include old coaches in train sets to fool the unwary.  I can see them doing the same with the old Mk 1s - waste not , want not.
John

John

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.