Not many of our Aussie members been talking about the Ashes :mutley

Bozzy(never known to pass a pub)
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=324]Ianbo[/user] wrote:
In order to avoid falling into an irreversable coma, neither have many British members either!

Last edit: by allan downes

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Now, I wasn't going to mention that.:roll:

And don't forget there's a rematch in the Winter.

(Bring back Ricky)

Ed

Posted
Rating:
[user=1427]allan downes[/user] wrote:
In order to avoid falling into an irreversable coma, neither have many British members either!
Thats just us being kind to the Antipodeans. We celebrate with a little more refinement.:Happy

Posted
Rating:
I did hear a rumour the Aussie team have asked for political asylum. 

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:

Do the English team have them then………..I don't recall it being mentioned on Crimewatch :mutley:mutley

'Kev

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Yes the Aussies where not up the standard expected. At least the fate of the world does not hang in the balance on the results - yet !!

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
As an Englishman I think it would be thoroughly bad-mannered to make a big deal of Australia losing the ashes…

LOSERS!   LOSERS!   LOSERS!

:doublethumb       :doublethumb       :doublethumb

Terry

England, a country full of ash!

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:

Well I suppose England had to win something sometime, I wonder if they can coach the football team….:twisted::twisted::twisted:

'Kev

Posted
Rating:
Banned
So, England wins another Ashes Series… Bit of catching up to do, I would say.  Australia leads the series 133 tests to England's 102, now 103 !

But the real cracker is that way back in 1882, it was the first time England was beaten on home soil… ;-);-)    A mock obituary was published the following day in the Sporting Times read ; “In Affectionate Remembrance of ENGLISH CRICKET, which died at the Oval on 29th AUGUST, 1882, Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing friends and acquaintances R.I.P. N.B.  :lol:

Info coutesy of Cricket World 4 U.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Banned
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
Looking at the photograph accompanied with the link, it looks as if you didn't have a moustache, you weren't on the team !

I believed that the ashes were of the cricket ball which was used in the test match the following year after Australia defeated England on their home soil.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Aren't the ashes supposed to be the bails from the wicket?  Stupid thing to play for, if you ask me.  Now, if you were playing for one of the forthcoming Hatton's Beyer Garratt locos, that would be worth coming from Australia for.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Banned
I stand corrected Terry. Yes it was the bails…! :oops: Balls were something you needed when the 'Bodyline' style of cricket started !

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Some years ago there was an Australian TV drama made about the Bodyline scandal.  I had never heard of it until I watched this TV drama. It was very interesting to watch and I am no cricket fan.  I'm surprised Bodyline was allowed.  Definitely not cricket in my book.  And for those who haven't a clue what we are talking about, Bodyline was adopted in one Ashes series by the English team.  Basically, it means aim the ball at the batsman, not the wicket, to see how many Aussies you can injure.  If memory serves me correctly, Jardine was the captain who authorised Bodyline.  Now who was the bowler?  I think he was from Yorkshire and eventually emigrated to Australia.

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Harold Larwood comes to mind… Jardines secret weapon. Bodyline was introduced (1932-33) to stop Bradman from doing what he done best. Unfortunately, Bradman didn't play that first game, but in the second he hit 103 runs. The test after that, 'bodyline' was in full swing and Bradman had a series average of about 55-56 runs. So, it did bode well for England, who went on to win 4 out of the 5 tests…

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
   If memory serves me correctly, Jardine was the captain who authorised Bodyline.  Now who was the bowler?  I think he was from Yorkshire and eventually emigrated to Australia.

Terry

The bowlers were Harold Larwood and Bill Voce both from Nottinghamshire, Harold only about 5ft 8 inches tall whilst Bill was about 6ft 4inches tall, both worked down the Nottinghamshire mines, Harold did indeed emigrate to Australia where here passed away in the 80's.

Bill was a left arm fast bowler, I bowled in a similar style in my early cricket career and had the honour of being coached by Bill a true Gent when I was playing in the Notts 2nd XI    

Bozzy(never known to pass a pub)

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I do remember watching the Bodyline series.Excellent program and i don't like cricket.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Bill was a left arm fast bowler, I bowled in a similar style in my early cricket career…   
You're not saying that you 'chucked' the ball at the batsman are you…?? :lol::lol::lol:

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Aussie court drama

A seven year old boy was at the centre of a courtroom drama in Australia recently (30th July 2013) when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him.

The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge  initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with the child custody  law and regulations requiring that family unity be maintained to the  degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him  more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When  the judge suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried  out that they also beat him.

After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning  that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the  judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who  should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with child  welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Australian  Test Cricket team, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of  beating anyone.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.