Turntables

Posted
Rating:
#158797 (In Topic #8977)
Guest user

Has anyone done a comparison between the available models

I will be looking into building a turntable into my layout when it gets of the ground. I am looking to buy the most realistic version I can get with the least amount of butchering required army modelling skills are not great at the moment. Something I hope to improve over time and with more experience.

I have seen the Hornby and peco offerings and I'm not really impressed with them. Can anyone recommend one from another manufacturer. I don't mind a bit of work being required but do not want to have to undertake a complete overhaul to achieve something realistic.

Thanks for any comments /   Assistance.

Cheers Toto.

PS it will be motorised, either out the box or via a bit of cutting and slicing.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
After trying several British manufactured offerings, all of which looked the part but failed miserably when trying to do what they were meant to do, I bought a Flieschmann Table, hacked it about so that it looked British, and it never failed - brilliant engineering, expensive ? yes, but you only get what you pay for.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Have you considered using the Dapol Kit, but build it upside down ? By using the deck supplied, although narrowed down and placed on top of the up turned and shortened girders, add handrails etc, you could get close enough to a reasonable looking turntable. I built one this way many years ago to represent a NSWGR 60' turntable. The most difficult thing was to build a well !

Sorry Tom, no pics, pre digital age !

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks guys,

I will look into both of the suggestions. An upturned Dapol turntable. This has got me curious, I must have a surf………..now.

Cheers

Toto.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
There's no such thing as a good RTR British turntable around, mores the pity. Metalsmith do a nice range -4mm scale - and the only other alternatives are Heljan, Fleischmann or Roco- which I used on my layout. None of the the last three look like UK TT's, but the Roco one at least can be altered to pass muster. They do a version that takes up to an A4,which overcomes another problem with these continental types- the length; as some work out around the 120ft mark, far too large for British sheds.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ben,

A terrific site indeed. They do a 70 ft version as actually built at the Haymarket shed that I am looking to base my layout on.

I notice that this product is still under development and I will keep my eye open for it being released as it is by far the best that I have ever seen.

I think it would take most if not all of my existing stock but would need to check if it will take the bigger steamiest that I intend to acquire soon. Ie the gresleys dominion of Canada and the likes who were resident at Haymarket. However as it would appear to be one of the biggest turntables produced, I imagine that it will.

Thanks again for the link, much appreciated.

Toto.

Any other tips , comments on the above , feel free.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Glad to be of help- the 70' TT will indeed be of use to you- I was hoping for a 60' version for my model of Helmsdale, but used the Roco one instead, but am quite willing to change it once it appears!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Ben,

I'll be checking their website for availability and may even follow up with a quick phone call. If I find out any more info with regards to an updated release date, I'll let you know.

Regards

Toto.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Ben,

Contacted metalsmiths today re Cowan & Sheldon 70 ft turntable and they say it could be anything from 6 months to a year before this goes to market.
Apparently they are very busy. anyway just keeping you in the picture

Cheers

Toto.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I note so far no mention of Atlas, I've had an N gauge one on order for some months, I understand Atlas are having supply problems, has anybody heard recently?

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Then there is the Walthers Cornerstone turntable. Although it is 90' in HO, that would make it approx. 78' in OO… Not exactly prototypical, but with a few mods, it could be something to consider..?? Walthers also do this turntable as DCC ready.

Here is one on ebay for reference ; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380693756675?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_702wt_932   Quite expensive postage !

I am watching one of these on ebay (Australia), but it is pick-up only…,  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190880497655?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_207wt_1170  Good price at the moment !

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Gary,

The Walthers cornerstone turntable looks ok to me. What is your experience in dealing with Walthers ?

Cheers Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
I haven't directly had much to do with Walthers, but have in the past played around with some of their kits, many years ago. I found their kits very good and Walthers is a 'household brand name' in model railways in the US. They now own many other well known brands under their name, just like Hornby in the UK.

Take a look here ; http://www.walthers.com/exec/page/turntables 

90' turntable is on sale now, not only that the dcc features are an advantage. Programmable Indexing for up to 60 Positions ! With a little skill, the N gauge 130' turntable would make a great 60' turntable with the bridge at 247mm long. It would require some cutting, shutting and plenty of patience. But you wouldn't want to bugger it up !

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Gary,
My cutting and shutting skills have yet to be developed shall we say. Something straight from the box is the order of the day for me so some of your other options would fit the bill better.

There is no rush for it at the moment until the layout is under way. It will also depend on the eventual availability of the metalsmiths version as this is a very prototypical version of what was installed at my chosen Haymarket depot.

It that weren't available nearer the time, I would certainly look again at the various options that you have kindly provided. It's a waiting game for the above reasons at the moment but meanwhile the search continues for all possible options.

What do you think the chances are of the package coming from Walthers in the US to sunny Scotland unscathed ? Should be ok ?

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
That would all depend on how you would want it sent, ie, via a courier such as DHL or UPS. If you were to purchase from the US, I would suggest 'signed for', regardless. If there is any substantial damage, the suppliers would have to send you a new item and possibly pay for the postage costs. Unfortunately, the cost of delivery from the States sometimes out-weighs the cost of the item…:shock:

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Atlas might be worth checking out.

The Australian Electorate have discerned something mathematicians Pythagoras and Euclid missed - that there is something lower than the lowest common denominator - and elected it Prime Minister.

Posted
Rating:
[user=761]boilermaker69[/user] wrote:
Atlas might be worth checking out.
Atlas appear to be having supply problems, I've been waiting over 6 months for an N gauge one, not sure if this applies to other gauges or not, but #I haven't found a UK dealer with stock and a US dealer I tried stated that there were supply problems over there too.

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
Managed to win an N gauge Atlas on Ebay, it arrived this morning complete with motor attachment.  Now trying to figure ways to Anglicise it! It has a completely planked deck and the motor is housed in a timber hut, it's a bit large for UK probably scales 90' or so. Not had it apart - yet- to see how it manages to stop exactly in position, It moves from one track to the next, then stops, if power is kept on it it waits a while then moves on to the next track; movement is slow, probably would be slower if run on a lower voltage.

21 tracks on a 15 degree spacing with 3 spaces taken by the drive mechanism, has a crank for manual use or remove covere from manual position and fit the motorising unit

https://secure.atlasrr.com/mod1/itemdesc.asp?ic=2790&eq=&Tp=

https://secure.atlasrr.com/mod1/itemdesc.asp?ic=2791&eq=&Tp=

They also do a round house in 3 stall sections.

Not sure yet if to sink it into the baseboard or surface mount with a suitable thickness board round part of it.

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
Hi Toto,
I good option to look at also is the Heljan turntable. It's probably a bit less on quality but much cheaper than the flieschmann turntable. It comes ready to run and you can operate it (once you get it fixed and programmed!) via DCC or Manually but manually is much easier as I can't work out how to operate it via DCC at the moment.

Cheers Connor

CC Weathering Services: https://ccgwr1.wixsite.com/ccweatheringservices/
CC Weathering Services Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ccweatheringservices/

Posted
Rating:
Just found this at SE, http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Turntables/Turntables.htm and I remembered this thread, thought I would add it to the list, in-case anyone was interested. 

Kind Regards

Aaron

Kingsmead Station

©Aaron C. New
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.