Painting Dapol Figures Part 3 - Simple Conversions

Posted
Rating:
#8239 (In Topic #871)
In Painting Dapol Figures Part 2, Les raised the question of producing loco crews, specifically leaning out of the loco cab.  I have looked at the Dapol range of figures and have identified 3 possible candidates, which I think with a little bit of chopping about could be converted to fulfill this role. So here they are:

Of the 3 I think the two on the left show most promise, so in this thread I will convert these two figures to represent driver/firemen leaning out of a steam loco cab as is so common in contemporary photographs.  Unfortunaely I do not have a loco here in Liberia, so the first task will be to construct a mock up cab to show how the figures will fit and look once completed.

More to follow…

Bob(K)
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Go for it Novice, this I can't miss :!:  :!:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I also will follow this with interest. I have all be it tiny figures a fireman and a driver that came from the hornby DCC set. Maybe a tad too small but hey a magnifier and i be ok  :? . So i shall see how Novice do his and give it a go.
Phill

Posted
Rating:
This looks interesting! I will be watching!

Chop, Chop :roll: :roll: :roll:

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:

phill said

I have all be it tiny figures a fireman and a driver that came from the hornby DCC set. Maybe a tad too small but hey a magnifier and i be ok  :? . Phill

Phill

These Dapol figures are almost exactly the same size as the Hornby figures that come with the locos. Although a bit hard on the eyes it is surprising what can be achieved in converting 00 scale figures.

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Thanks Bob, this is a must for me now. I thought the middle one looked a cert. for this :D

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
The object of this little project is to make two figures designed to lean out of a loco cab, one on the left and one on the right.  The two Dapol figures selected have potential as they both appear to be resting on their elbows.  The problem is that if used as they are they will not lean out, but will merely stand behind a window.  The first thing I did was to adjust the leg of the man with his arms folded – we will call him fig 1.  I simply chopped the leg off at the point where it meets the jacket bottom and trimmed a very small amount of the top to change the angle.  I turned the leg inwards and glued it back in place.  I also shaved some of front of fig 1 so that he can be positioned closer to the window ledge.  Finally I chopped his head off and reattached it so he is looking more to his left and inclined the head a little more forward. The pound coin gives an idea of scale:

Fig 2 also needed some surgery. Because he is destined for the other side of the cab, I cut off his head, turned it 180 degrees and reattached it.  I also decided his left arm stuck out too much, so that came off, I cut off a small angled piece and reattached the arm closer to his body.  Finally I decided that his feet would either have to be shortened or turned out wards.  So I cut off his base and turned the feet to a wider angle.  This is to allow the figure to get closer to the cab wall:

Once dry I cut the base off fig 1 and shaved some more off the front.  The best way to do this is to cut a line across the body under the folded arms and then thinly shave upwards towards the cut.  Take care here as a slip could ruin the figure and your hand!!!! You can see some of the shaved material on the left.  (the picture of Fig 2 was taken before arm surgery see below)

Finally fig 2, now has his new arm attached and has his feet turned.  In fact they looked all wrong so I cut some feet off another figure and attached them at a new angle:

The next task will be to test the figures in position, clean them up and then start to paint them………

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Ever thought of getting a job at Guys Hospital Bob? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Gruesome to say the very least. :wink:

Posted
Rating:
Such power over people Novice - ever thought of becoming a Moderator ?? :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

I'll follow this one with great interest.

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sure glad you posted pictures with all those descriptions, else someone would turn us all in for brutality!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Looking good so far!

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Bob K - What glue are you using for these figures and what instrument are you using to dismember them?

Apologies if you have already given this info elsewhere

Happy Modelling,  
Mike

Posted
Rating:
Mike

No fancy stuff.  I do all my cutting with a standard, heavy duty, retractable craft knife (Stanley Knife).  The glue is ordinary Revell model plastic cement, the liquid variety.  If you are unfamiliar with these items I will show a picture in the next installment.

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I have those Dapol figures here somewhere  - AND a Stanley knife  :twisted:  :twisted:     
If their feet [as engine crew] were a problem they could probably get by without them. I have to admire their stoicism  8)
 Thanks for another fascinating thread, Bob.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Mike-how would they walk :?:  :!:  :!:  :lol:  :lol:
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
As members of the "Dapol" family Vinny - they don't walk they just stand/sit around gloating !! :lol:  :lol:

Mike - is the Dapol plastic the hard brittle stuff or the softer ex Airfix type ?  Would a razor saw be an easier/safer option for the surgery ?

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
:)  :)  :)  :)

It's fairly brittle. One of mine has lost a hand and it WAS an accident.  Honest.  My old Airfix soldiers I had as a lad were much more flexible.  I guess the thickness, such as it is, of a razor saw would cause them to lose even more tissue.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Yeh but its not going to look very authentic if someone was to look inside the loco only to find the driver/fireman has no feet :!:  :!:  :lol:  :lol:  
Bob(k)-great what you are doing,look forward to seeing the results :wink:  :D  :D
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

vinny said

Yeh but its not going to look very authentic if someone was to look inside the loco only to find the driver/fireman has no feet :!:  :!:  :lol:  :lol:

That's why they're called "FOOTPLATE" crew !!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ha Ha spose i asked for that one :P  :lol:
But it should be FOOTLESSPLATE crew :!:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.