what surface

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

concrete

SUCCESS. tried the above mix and it has turned out perfect even to having a textured finish.It did dry a bit too light but that can easily be remedied with a bit of weathering.Will post photos tomorrow as the light isn't too good at the moment.

Last edit: by spurno

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Photos as promised.

Two photos of the industrial/business area.I am really pleased with the outcome,the surface is flat and even has a texture to it.The only thing is i now have to reposition a piece of track so the level crossing gates can meet.I can really recommend the brushing/slurry technique.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
That's turned out very well Alan. Well done. :thumbs

A bit of weathering to tone it down and give some colour variation and it will blend in very realistically. I'm not sure if you want to go to this level of detail but large concrete areas like that would have expansion/contraction control joints at regular intervals to stop it cracking up. The maximum size of a bay would usually be 6 metres x 3 metres and a series of shallow cuts with a craft knife blade with some weathering powder brushed in would probably be a way to represent them.

Regards,
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Hi Trevor,i did actually ask that question previously.I've seen various expansion joints.The most popular seems to be bitumen based.I was also thinking of a cental gully and drains.

Last edit: by spurno

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Looks very good and I too agree with what Trevor said regarding expansion joints.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
I'll go along with the others. :thumbs

Whatever you decide about the joints/drains Alan, that's a great result. :pathead

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Banned
G'day Alan,

If you have a copy of April's edition of Model Rail (no.180), page 22 has the Noch drains. These are laser cut cardboard with 25 different drain covers, available from Gaugemaster for   £5.50.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Thanks Gary,i'll have a look.

Regards

Alan

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.