Suspending the baseboard from the ceiling.

Posted
Rating:
#149821 (In Topic #8292)
Legacy Member

Space demands a suspended layout

Friends,My new foray into a model rail layout has hit an unexpected hitch!
Due to space restrictions I will have to suspend the whole baseboard from the ceiling and whisk it up nearly every time I either build or indulge!
Having studied the suggestions thrown up by a search I need to ask whether with all the bracing required to keep it all square which material would members recommend?
I know that years ago Sundeala was the "IN" thing, ply with a softboard top was another and now and then hardboard was considered.
With all the advances in fibre technology would MDF be suitable?
The stresses and strains of leaning on and working plus the added strain of suspending must be considered as must the sheer weight!
The area being considered is 12 feet x 3.1/2 feet.
Your opinions would be valued?
Regards Peter.

Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little all would be done!

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
I have a friend who has a suspended layout in his garage and I'll get some info from him, only trouble is he is in Hospital at the moment but I'll come back on this asap.

Ken.

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
Bod
Have you thought about hingeing one edge and folding it up against a wall As in these photos?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58011-maybeck-road-depot/?p=763258

Last edit: by Bod

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Peter

I looked at it, but I would have had to strengthen the roof trusses.  MDF is brilliant stuff, but quite heavy for it's size.

Posted
Rating:
I'd think about the rigid expanded foam 'insulation boards'  with a thin ply stiffener frame as the board and washing line pulleys [the sort with screw shanks] to do the pulling up through. 

Either a rather unwieldy set of tackles each side, or if headroom permits, stretchers and a single system, pre-supposing that it balances! With fold-down legs you can lean on it? The hooks could swing back to the walls when working/operating…

Poop poop…

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Peter,
The highest strength to weight ratio I have ever used was laminated styrofoam. If I were to build a suspended layout that is what I would use.

I would use 2" thick styrofoam with the highest density  you can get, at least 2 pound per cubic foot, more if you can find it. Then laminate a thin layer of either aluminum sheet (.020 thick), or luan (1/8" thick) on both sides, using a good contact cement. Be sure to roll it out with a heavy roller to get all the air out and get a good bond. The aluminum one would be a whole lot lighter than the wood, so keep that in mind.

You will have to come up with some good anchore points to keep it from swaying or tipping when you lean on it though.

You should give this some thought first though, I'm sure there are other issues that could come cropping up that may throw a monkey wrench into the mix.

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Blimey, I've a sheet of "Kingspan" in my shed which would do you a treat, it's a pity you're not closer.

They come ribbed on one side with a flat, bonded aluminium sheet on the inside, with a weatherproof finish. I'm sure a trip to a reclamation yard or DIY depot may turn up something suitable, with luck?
They are certainly lighter than an equivalent strength wood based structure.

Last edit: by Ted_

Cheers

Ted

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Ken,
Thankyou I look forward to reading any information that you can glean!
Regards Peter.

Last edit: by petercharlesfagg

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=433]Bod[/user] wrote:
Have you thought about hingeing one edge and folding it up against a wall As in these photos?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58011-maybeck-road-depot/?p=763258
Thankyou for your reply, yes, I had considered hinging from the wall but then I would cover the window and SWMBO would have a fit!
I'm afraid that there is no other option to suspending.
regards Peter.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Hi Peter

I looked at it, but I would have had to strengthen the roof trusses.  MDF is brilliant stuff, but quite heavy for it's size.
Thankyou for the input, I had considered MDF and to that end visited a neighbour last night who has some in his garage.  (Building purposes, not railways)  A small section of about 10mm was extremely heavy, so I have discounted MDF in the size needed.Regards Peter

Posted
Rating:
Banned
You could always build a crystal clear lake in the middle, or just put up a mirror…! :lol::lol:

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=312]dooferdog[/user] wrote:
I'd think about the rigid expanded foam 'insulation boards'  with a thin ply stiffener frame as the board and washing line pulleys [the sort with screw shanks] to do the pulling up through. 

Either a rather unwieldy set of tackles each side, or if headroom permits, stretchers and a single system, pre-supposing that it balances! With fold-down legs you can lean on it? The hooks could swing back to the walls when working/operating…

Poop poop…

Doug
Thankyou very much for the design, that could be called going the extra mile!!!  When my idea comes to fruition then the baseboard will have to rest on existing furniture, mainly cupboards so legs would not be required.
I do like the alternative method of suspension that looks much easier to manage.
Deep thought required.Regards Peter.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=22]Wayne Williams[/user] wrote:
Peter,
The highest strength to weight ratio I have ever used was laminated styrofoam. If I were to build a suspended layout that is what I would use.

I would use 2" thick styrofoam with the highest density  you can get, at least 2 pound per cubic foot, more if you can find it. Then laminate a thin layer of either aluminum sheet (.020 thick), or luan (1/8" thick) on both sides, using a good contact cement. Be sure to roll it out with a heavy roller to get all the air out and get a good bond. The aluminum one would be a whole lot lighter than the wood, so keep that in mind.

You will have to come up with some good anchore points to keep it from swaying or tipping when you lean on it though.

You should give this some thought first though, I'm sure there are other issues that could come cropping up that may throw a monkey wrench into the mix.

Wayne
Wayne,Thankyou for your reply, I must admit to not knowibng of "Styrofoam" but will conduct an online search.Anything of light weight would be preferable anyway!  One question does it hold track pins etc. well?Regards Peter.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=1369]Ted_[/user] wrote:
Blimey, I've a sheet of "Kingspan" in my shed which would do you a treat, it's a pity you're not closer.

They come ribbed on one side with a flat, bonded aluminium sheet on the inside, with a weatherproof finish. I'm sure a trip to a reclamation yard or DIY depot may turn up something suitable, with luck?
They are certainly lighter than an equivalent strength wood based structure.

Ted,Thankyou, I will investigate the possibilities, they are building some farm structures down the road from me and I will have a  word with the site manager.Regards Peter.

Posted
Rating:
Peter, there was a  recent  thread on RMWeb on just this subject, i.e. pins, glues, bracing etc.
Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Interesting.
Doug's skyhooks are neat but, of course, would allow the layout to sway unless fixed in place.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
[user=394]ddolfelin[/user] wrote:
Interesting.
Doug's skyhooks are neat but, of course, would allow the layout to sway unless fixed in place.

Erm, I have included fold down legs to allow it stability when in the lowered position, or would that not work?
Doug

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=878]Gary[/user] wrote:
You could always build a crystal clear lake in the middle, or just put up a mirror…! :lol::lol:

Cheers, Gary.
Gary, thanks for the thought.
As it is the centre section will not be available for a lake since it will have to accommodate my girth as an operating console area!
Regards Peter.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
hi Peter,if you google "suspended model train table" it comes up with some you tube videos which may be helpfull.also try "suspended model train systems" or any variation on the theme and you should get some ideas.there is also a company that makes these systems,i can't remember who or where i saw it.i do know they're not cheap.i couldn't find it on search this time.i did  consider this myself when i first started.good luck with whatever you decide on.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
[user=1033]spurno[/user] wrote:
hi Peter,if you google "suspended model train table" it comes up with some you tube videos which may be helpfull.also try "suspended model train systems" or any variation on the theme and you should get some ideas.there is also a company that makes these systems,i can't remember who or where i saw it.i do know they're not cheap.i couldn't find it on search this time.i did  consider this myself when i first started.good luck with whatever you decide on.
Alan,Many thanks for the suggestions I will follow them this evening.
I am thinking of purchasing pulleys etc. on Ebay, it is only really the timber and the base board that is causing minor headaches right now!
Many thanks again, regards Peter.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.