Weathering Section

Posted
Rating:
#7391 (In Topic #818)
Legacy Member
Do you think this subject is important enough to have it's own section on the forum? This is a simple yes or no choice.
While this isn't for me personally, for various reasons, I can see that it is an important part of railway modelling for many others and is a skill well worth aquiring. Weathering also applies to things other than rolling stock of course, buildings for example.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
My answer is yes, BUT temporarily.

It would assist obviously finding everyones current project activity.  But in a month or two that activity will decline.

Providing it is relatively easy for your to move the existing threads to its own section and then return them to its current lineside section.

There is a relatively large amount of material building up already in postings.  Some postings are obviusly contain duplicated advice some posting are not relevant.

It would make more sense for a member to review the material in March and create a single source of advice and possible a single source of members before and after shots.  

Not necessarily all the photos or advice in between but perhaps link to the individual members threads for further study by an interested reader.

A problem with a lot of forums is finding what you want.  A lot of time can be spent looking through a thread for that nugget of gold.

Less is More.

BLG

(The member formerly known as Bryan  8) )
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I'd vote yes, and on a permanent basis, seeing as we have a growing membership which will hopefully sustain the interest.  Also I think it's a good thing for any new member, regardless of experience, to see as a forum subject.

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I vote yes, because weathering covers more than just the Lineside, it can be applied to any item on the layout, vehicles, rolling stock, trackwork, buildings and lineside furniture - even people :!:   

Whether weathering is the correct term for this all embracing subject could be debated, as strictly speaking some of the effects are not weathering at all - eg adding shading and depth or highlights to paintwork.  Maybe a section which covers "adding realism to your model" would be better and weathering could be one of many topics in this section.

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
A Weathering Section, if we finish up with one, would cover rolling stock of all types, and buildings probably. Track has an immediately recognisable section and I would see that as the first port of call for information on weathering it. I can't think of anything else that the term 'weathering' is normally applied to. If we go ahead with this I will make a point of altering topic titles, if needed, to indicate specifically what the topic covers.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
weathering section is good, they say your layout is never complete and this goes to your weathering. i am a complete beginner but i enjoyed weathering wagons.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I think a seperate section on weathering is a cracking idea :!:
It should include rolling stock, buildings and road vehicles, but not track which should be retained in the track section.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I would agree there should be a weathering section - there doesnt seem to be much freely available re buildings in particular...however I ams also keenly interested in weathering rolling stock as that is next in my sights...

Darren

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Perry gave us some useful information in his Great Eastern Goods Shed saga if I recall.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Reckon it's a top idea Bob, and I realise it means a lot of work for you moving stuff around, but if everything, right from the start, is in that section, it will be a wonderful tool for new and existing members.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I think it would be great to do Bob. As like me many of us are too busy trying to get the track sorted, wired, ballasted etc and so weathering is not at the top of the list yet but in a few month or les this would be brilliant to look up when we are ready. I hope it will not be alot of work involved for you, as you do alot now. How much time you getting on your railway as a matter of interest?
Phill

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I manage a half hours operation now and then during the week Phill but that's about it. :cry:  The spiders are having a field day. :lol:

Posted
Rating:
Yes, and permanent.
I've looked for weathering hints and tips on several other forums and even using their search engines found it difficult to find.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I'm going to leave this poll open for a couple more days but unless something drastic happens it looks like we will be getting a new weathering section.

Posted
Rating:
Excellent - thanks, Bob :!:  :D

Posted
Rating:
It's a definite YES from me !!

Ove time, it will creat an excellent reference section avoiding trying to remember who did what and in what section.

Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
I vote YES because I think it's a very important part of railway modelling. I notice BRM now has a section entitled "adding realism to your layout" and if weathering dosn't form a major part of that then what does?

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
We seem to have a dissenting voice but without a reason for saying no. I would like the reason because it may cover something none of us have thought about.

Posted
Rating:
I wonder if the 'no' voice is from one who prefers the new look. I respect that.  Many modellers do.  I once did, but the more I look at US layouts the more grunge I want to apply :!:  But first I must learn "How To…"

Posted
Rating:
Could it be that someone inadvertantly clicked the wrong button Bob ?  As there's no comment to go with the "No" vote, it seems strange just to vote "No" without giving reasons !!

Petermac

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.