What is the best method for connecting to a Bus Wire?

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
You mention your concern with snap-lock connectors and two sizes of wire Ken, but depending on the wire sizes as long as you get the right size connector they should be ok.

I can't get under the baseboard to solder due to a bad back so have used red quick splice connectors (think that's the same thing) which are ok for wire sizes 22-16AWG.

The colours denote wire size, so you can't use red for one side of a circuit and for example blue for the other. The'll have to be all the same colour to suite the wire size.

They're reasonably cheap so you could get some as a test, but they need to be good quality ones not the really cheap imported versions.

Ed

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
Sorry guys but I can't help having a bit of a smile at this, reason being that I posted this question over 2 years ago and when "Chiefnerd" replied to it on the 15th Jan. he obviously didn't notice this - nor everyone else who susbsequently posted!  :oops:

Some super extra replies though - particularly from Trevor who always goes to such a lot of trouble - so I'm sure it will be much appreciated.   (Incidentally I did sort it out with the initial help I received so thanks again to everyone).

Ken

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Always said us railway modellers live in the past :mutley:mutley:mutley

So what was your final solution Ken?

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
Blimey Ed, you don't expect me to remember what happened 2 years ago do you? !!!!!!! ;-):lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though, I used the wire strippers and it all worked fine.

Ken

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
I can remember what I was doing two years ago, but what I had for tea on Monday ………….. :hmm

:mutley:mutley:mutley

Glad it got sorted.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Re post 19 above, herewith link……

(Click to enlarge)

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
I knew it was a couple of years old Ken - and maybe others did.  I was answering "Chiefnerd's" comment but, as you say, it's brought out some interesting new replies.

Often, bumping old threads updates with the latest gadgets/ideas.  I've noticed there are one or two old threads being bumped by members who weren't here in those days ……………:cheers:cheers 

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
What surprises me is that somehow it got past us a couple of years ago!!! Oh well.  Ken, glad you liked the drawings… they don't take that  long to do!
Cheers
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Although unlikely, for anyone reading through this thread BEFORE starting to wire up a layout, using solid wire for your buss will eliminate the problem the OP had.

Jim F

SECR and LBSCR
1900 - 1910
OO

Posted
Rating:
I'm about to embark on my layout and, although it's small, I intend to split mine into districts. I have an NCE 6 way  splitter and will use that to supply the power to the track. Every district will be independent of it's neighbour, but hopefully it'll all work.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure.

Posted
Rating:
That's the way to do it Henry. It will save a lot of time and frustration in tracking down a problem if ever you should develop one in the future.

I see that you are also a fan of Snap Clips or 'Scotchblocks' as they are sometimes called. I agree wholeheartedly that, for someone who, like myself, cannot get underneath the layout to make soldered connections, they are a Godsend provided you get good quality ones that match your bus size. I purchased a complete bus system from Express Models and can vouch for their quality and ease of use.

http://www.expressmodels.co.uk/acatalog/DCC_No_Solder_Power_Bus_Kit.html

Regards,
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
I am not a fan of Scotch Locks ( or suitcase connectors) to be honest. The way I intend to wire up is run individual wires to each section and the only connections will be soldered to the terminals. Hopefully, I'll have an easy time of it. I've drawn out the wiring diagram and it does, I'll admit, look a bit intimidating, but easy to follow. I'm no sparky but I do believe in KISS.  

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Talking of the KISS principle, having seen their rear of one of Toto's panels
(Ran screaming out the door after seeing a zillion little soldered wires) , I'm leaning towards a single loop of track with one of those push in track feeds:roll:  the alternative is I get my finger oot and start practising soldering dropper wires with the scrap track and wire kindly donated by Tom….oh look ! Is that the time ? Rugby starting soon !  TTFN

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.