Dawlish webcam

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Some good waves at Dawlish this evening, not massive but well worth a look!

Bozzy(never known to pass a pub)
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hello everybody,
Seems like my favourite webcam is offline for at least two days now or is it my iPad that couldn't cope with the stream any more?
Cheers Helmut

Posted
Rating:
I'm guessing it's been put out of action by the recent storms.

Regards,
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Nope! It says "Offline" at the moment.

It was working a few days ago because I did have a quick look at it. Maybe the cold has got to it!! :cool:

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
With the weather it may be off line AND offshore now:mutley

Bozzy(never known to pass a pub)

Posted
Rating:
I tried to view it during the stormy weather but it was Off line -  how did the track along Dawlish fair ?

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
The Dawlish webcam is still offline probably due to the storms.The line is closed at the moment due to debris on the track and the seawall has been damaged below the bridge to the beach.The news has just stated that Network Rail is considering bringing forward repair work due to start in 2019.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Update.The track nearest to the sea is now hanging in mid air for about 70 yds.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Ooo errr. That's going to cost !!

I know the feeling though as I have a similar problem on my layout at the moment  :mutley

UPDATE

Sky News is showing live pictures of it at the moment and it looks as though a bomb has hit it. Can't see the line being opened for months.

Last edit: by Chinahand

Regards,
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
I can see a time when the track will have to be moved inland.For members who haven't been to Dawlish at high tide the track is about ten feet from the sea.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=1033]Spurno[/user] wrote:
I can see a time when the track will have to be moved inland.For members who haven't been to Dawlish at high tide the track is about ten feet from the sea.
That would be a real shame as it's a very picturesque line,  but it does sound a bit wet and windy down your way Alan.

Lets hope this is the last winter storm, at least for this year.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Don't think so Ed,there's more to come.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Just seen the 1 O'Clock news showing the trackbed washed away.

More storms due Friday and Sunday, and possibly more next week!

Just hope the West country and Wales can recover before the start of the holiday season.

Easter is only ten weeks away.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
We've recovered before Ed, many times. Even going back to the early days of the line (Broad Gauge) the line has been battered by storms. There was a line at one time that could have been used as an avoiding line but that Doctor with a big axe cut it (The Teign Valley Line) and of coarse most of the trackbed has been sold off and infrastructure mostly removed. The only other avoiding line was the old Southern Railway line to Okehampton then across the Moors to Tavistock and then on to Plymouth. Same problem though, to Okehampton its ok but beyond it's all gone. Mind you if they spent some of the money they put away for HS2 to move the line inland a bit it would be more beneficial, but as it's west of Bristol we have no chance. The only option as I can see is to build a massive breakwater from Teignmouth to Dawlish Warren or even as far as the exe estuary about half a mile out to sea, but that would cost millions and the local tree huggers, 'evironmentalists'  and 'nimbys' would scupper that before it got off the drawing board.

Last edit: by 60019Bittern

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
I'm sure it's the beauty of the line that makes it so important, not the economics……………:roll::roll::roll:

Like the "Settle and Carlisle" in the north where economics suggested it ought to be closed.  The beauty of it won the day in the end.

Whilst Dr Beeching was indeed a heavy handed butcher in many cases, I doubt keeping the Teign Valley line open for the last 50 years or so just waiting for these storms would have made sense. :roll:

p.s. I'm not a Beeching fan either but his closures did push us into car ownership with all the freedom that offered.  Alas, time has caught up with cars too, and now we sit in traffic jams polluting the atmosphere whilst going nowhere…………………but don't get me going ……..:lol::lol::cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Beeching didn't actually close any railway lines.   As an economist, his job was to make recommendations, which he did.  The government of the day (a Tory government, I believe), had the choice to follow his recommendations, or ignore them.  As we know, they chose to follow his recommendations.  Interestingly, the next government, this time of the Labour ilk, headed by Harold Wilson, who had opposed Beeching's recommendations whilst in opposition, actually closed more railway lines than actually advised by Beeching.

How do you know when a politician is lying?  When you see his lips move.

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
………………………………………………………

How do you know when a politician is lying?  When you see his lips move.

Terry
:mutley:mutley:mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
We also have Beehing to thank for all the preserved railways.Harold Wilson also closed more mines than Margaret Thatcher.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Three of the of the many videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQZldlyT_t0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WY6BJA1LBQ

Last edit: by gdaysydney

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.