Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:mutley
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Here's the culvert after visiting the paint shop.

I've glued a rubber chair tip on to resemble the pipe.

I'm getting better with the focus - unfortunately it's focused on the material and not the model, but it's improving.

Posted
Rating:
You certainly are getting better with the focus Max and, judging from the material, it's a fairly decent milk bottle they've glued on the front of your camera……..

Is it the famed "suede paint" you've used or acrylic ? It does have a "concrete" look to it.

I clever move with the chair tip.  There's a use in model railways for virtually everything. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Peter.  I took a shot through my front window a while ago.  25 metres to the tree on my footpath and 40 metres to the green tree surround across the road.  There's nothing wrong with the depth of field at those distances.

I just sat in the lounge chair and fired it off.

Anyway, it's just ordinary rattle can grey.  The MDF is what gives it a bit of texture, I think.

Cheers

Posted
Rating:
I've just been reading up on your camera, Max.
It's a beauty.
It has 39 'reference points' for auto - do they show up as rectangles on your screen?
If it's like my (cheap) Canon, one can 'half press' the shutter button to retain focus and still move the camera to better frame the picture.
Is your lens Nikon?

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Yes, I think that's the little black squares I can see in the view finder, Pete.

Yes.  The half press gives coloured lights at the bottom of the view finder as well and a row of numbers indicating what it has selected for f stop, iso and shutter speed; when it's on auto or Scene.

Yes. The lens is a Nikon DX  AF-S Nikor 18-105 mm  1:35-5.6 G ED  It has Vibration Reduction built in.  I'm not sure how good it is, as it's the lens supplied in the starter kit.

The camera was recommended as the replacement for the D 90, which is supposed to be for a first foray into full DSLR.  The D 90 is four years old now and out of production.

The other thing which sold me is that it is also a sound and video recorder which has a jack for an external microphone - and an inbuilt speaker.  It has two 16 Gb cards which can either be used in series or together.  In series, with 32 Gb I'm approaching the 40 Gb capacity of my much hated JVC camcorder.

With 40 Gb I never "ran out of film" when I was making my train movies, so I'm feeling confident.

There is a new gimballed steady cam brace you can get for them as well.  I've seen a guy demonstrating it on YouTube and it produces very professional stuff.

All good fun.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
It's a fine lens, Max.

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Kit supplied or not Max, Nikkor lenses are as good as any - maybe only with the exception of Leitz (Leica) or Carl Zeiss (which is the standard lens used by Hasselblad)

The shot from your window shows remarkable clarity even through glass. :thumbs

I wish I had one to play with - the camera that is, not the shot from your window ……………..:roll::roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, guyz.  The Sony has a Carl Zeiss, so I guess that's why it's held its own for so long for me.

Posted
Rating:
In relation to nothing gone before, I was quite pleased to get this shot with the cheap Canon camcorder yesterday in the evening sun:
  1. because we haven't had much evening sun,
  2. because we haven't had many butterflies this year,
  3. the little blighters won't stay still.
  4. I liked the strong colours.

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Great shot, love the colours.

Posted
Rating:
On buddleia Davidii if I'm not mistaken - the "butterfly bush" .

Great shot DD and with a camcorder to boot - not best known for their "fine lenses". :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Yes, Buddlea.
The Canon is OK in good light and has a 20x optical zoom.
It also weighs a fraction of my old Sony Camcorder and of the Pentax.
I clip it to my belt and don't have to lug a gadget bag around.

Not trying to take over Max's thread - it's vaguely related - just continuing the photographic subject.

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Feel free to join in, Pete.  It's a great shot.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Thanks, Max.
I've just changed to my newer computer.
Among the 'programmes' I wanted to copy across was some bundled software I got with the Pentax:
Photoshop Elements.
I use this for fast cropping, pixel reduction, etc., of images where necessary.
I have the full Photoshop 'Suite' but Elements is a powerful little tool which gives speedy results for most applications.
For some reason the Installation DVD is blank!
PE is now quite expensive to buy.

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Pete

I inherited PS CS2 with my new second hand computer recently.  Wendy's got Elements up in her studio, so I might pinch a copy from her disc.  I understand that the freeware, Gimp is also very good.

So far I've been working with MS Picture Manager, but it's a bit limited - as am I.  :mutley

The new laptop is for me to take to camera club.  We will be having workshops on Photoshop over the coming months.  I'm really keen to see what can be done with RAW images.

I wish I'd started photography earlier in life, while my brain still worked.  :shock:

Posted
Rating:
Any application that needs College Courses to operate (and costs a fortune) is beyond most of our needs I would suspect.
After years of Photoshop I can do little bits of magic (making gifs move and such) but:
All I really need day to day is:
Cropping, Masking, Colour Correction, Brightness, Contrast and Re-sizing.
Some of the PS effects can sometimes be useful.

The latest is that I need to find (?buy) Mac OSX Tune-Up whatever the heck that might be.

Over the years I've lost many favourite Applications just by changing computer.
Anyone remember HyperCard, PageMaker and the rest?
Simple to use and very stable.
I could make PageMaker sit up and talk.

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I use the freebie  FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...  to do what I wnt with images once loaded into my PC

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:

That's PC not Mac, thanks Sol.

Last edit: by ddolfelin

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Sorry Pete, you are correct.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.