A Stage

Posted
Rating:
#142827 (In Topic #7759)
Inactive Member
Here's a project I've wanted to do for a while now.  I've been envious of those who can take their models outside and photograph them in front of a real backdrop.

It was precipitated by the purchase of a digital SLR camera.  I want to go forward from my Sony Cybershot, which has taken all of my forum photos so far.  The DSLR will take RAW images as well as .jpeg which the little pocket camera won't.

To save anyone asking, it's a Nikon D 7000 with a 18 - 105 lens.  Other lenses may come along the way, but I have to start somewhere.  It's got more controls than Concorde, but I just have to RTFM and begin - or is it the other way around?

First I need a box.

and the other side . . .

You can see that I have trapped a piece of PVC tubing in the centre.  It will slip over the top of the old cymbal stand.

Like so . . .

Recycling at its best.  :lol:

The photos aren't too crash hot as yet - still learning.  :oops:

Two pieces of high density styrene foam and a cork roadbed.  All glued together with PVA.

The roadbed is offset so I can make a different scene on each side.

Now I have to carve out a place for a plaster rock and a culvert for the other side.

Stay tuned for more exciting developments.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Very nice camera, Max.
Obviously you didn't take the pics of the camera with it - what about the others?
Hope that fixing for the tripod is secure!

I made a similar arrangement for Richard with OO one side and N on the reverse.
It's proved extremely useful for selling his stuff.
Just flat-bottomed though as I'd run out of cymbal stands.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Pete.  Yes.  The others were with the Nikon.  At the moment the Sony is in the lead.  :lol:

The one I took close up shows improvement.  I don't think I'll be taking any of them for Show and Tell at Camera Club.  :oops:

I can pick the assembly up by the box, so I'm confident.

I didn't spend six years at university studying engineering for nothing.  :mutley

Posted
Rating:
That camera looks a beauty Max.  I wish I'd gone for DSLR when I bought my "bridge" camera ………

p.s. Why did you spend 6 years at university studying engineering ………………..? :roll::roll::roll::lol::lol::cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I'm a slow learner.  :oops:

Posted
Rating:
:mutley:mutley:mutley

:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Max,

Congratulations on your new camera - you have a paint/photo program I hope?

The photos you are going to be taking will be of small models by the sound of it - could I suggest that with that tripod you tie a brick under the junction of the legs to give more stability?

The width of the tripod feet is a bit small. the alternative is a new tripod alas, with large composition feet for more grip. Another thing could be a cable release for the shutter. to almost totally stop any shake, notwithstanding image stabilization which I think you will have; though I don't know if it works in macro or super macro mode.

Then you are set up, with the exception of a spare set of rechargeable batteries - don't leave them in the camera mine; seem to decay a bit fast, or get a mains power lead.

Yours Peter.

Last edit: by peterbunce

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Peter.

Yes, that's a good idea.

I have a plastic container of shot which weighs 10 kg and I hang it by an octopus strap from the turret lock on the camera tripod.

When the mirror moves it can actually cause quite a clunk.  There is also a vibration reducer for hand held.

The weak link in the chain is the photographer.  :mutley

I hadn't thought of putting a weight under the cymbal stand.  That's good advice.  Another 10 kg of shot is A$70.00 - a brick is a much better idea.  :thumbs

Yes.  I have Photoshop.  I got CS2 with my new/second hand laptop the other day, but I think I'll invest in PS Elements as well.  I've got MS Picture manager and Paint.net, so I should be right for the time being.  :shock:

Cheers

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
A small amount of progress.  I've started fabricating a culvert out of MDF.

. . . and started plastering the other side.

I'm still working on the camera.  I'd like the focus to be sharper.  I guess I'm losing a bit when I upload as well.

Posted
Rating:
Could it be the lighting, Max, although it looks OK to me?

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Pete.  The culvert isn't too bad, but I'm still not exceeding the Cybershot results.

Compare them with the shots I took of the new camera at the top of the thread and you'll see what I mean.

I'm sure that when I get to Camera Club (sorry Photographic Society), next Wednesday night; all will be revealed.  :roll:

Posted
Rating:
Your pics. will only ever be as good as the view you are taking.
(eg: if it is a dull day, that's what you'll get a picture of!).
For a proper comparison, take a similar picture with both cameras.
The focus on your super dooper camera should be pin sharp.

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That's good advice, Pete.  I actually did that.  I took some with both cameras.  I also tried the options in SCENE on the Nikon.

The Sony is still outperforming it at this stage.

Without question, it's my shortcoming.  The Nikon is fifteen times the price of the Sony.

I might see if I can get a better standard lamp (or two).  The photo gurus on www.protomodeller.com  use one each side when they are using their DSLR's.

It's all good fun.

Posted
Rating:
A good exercise is to experiment with depths of field.
Get that right and it does away with backscenes!

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
I had/have the same problem Max.

I had a "point and shoot" Olympus pocket camera that took superb photos.  I then bought a Panasonic "bridge" camera - certainly not a DSLR but it ought ot have been far superior to the Olympus.

To this day, I'm not happy with the results on "Auto" setting - the one I used 90% of the time with the Olympus.

I think these "little" cameras are great machines and, unless I could afford a really good DSLR, I doub't I'd go beyond them.

Having said that, your Nikon should be a really good camera.  I have 3 "film" cameras - a 35mm Nikon, a 35mm Canon and a 6 x 4.5 Mamiya.  If film wasn't so expensive, I'd use either the Mamiya or the Nikon for my important shots ……………….:roll::roll:

I suspect Max is using "auto" for his tests DD so he can't play with depth of field …………also, a camera like that ought to be able to get it's own settings right whatever the weather ……:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
DD - Now you tell me . . . :sad:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Peter.  I started out on Auto - now I have progressed to Scene.  I suspect Pete's right.  I'm going to try some better lights.

Posted
Rating:
Isn't "Scene" also an auto setting Max ?  On mine, the only time you can play with the settings is in "Manual", "Aperture" or "Shutter" priority.  All the rest are done by the camera itself - but maybe yours is different…………….:roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It certainly is, Peter.  Not much progress then - but some.

I'm just feeling my way around the hundreds of knobs and buttons.  :mutley

Manual?  Well, that's anuvver story.  ;-)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
I'm sure that when I get to Camera Club (sorry Photographic Society), next Wednesday night; all will be revealed.  :roll:
Yes, I used to be a member of a club like that too but it kept getting raided by the police. Too much revealing going on they said :shock:
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.