Linux Operating Systems ?.

Posted
Rating:
#140588 (In Topic #7580)
Inactive Member
Just wondering if there are any other forum members using a Linux OS ?

I myself have been using the various Linux Mint OS for over four years and have been very happy doing so, I have also used other Linux systems including Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mandriva and Fedora.

I am always interested to hear from other Linux users to hear what they think of this great free operating system?.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Bod
I have recently installe ubuntu (the dual boot version) on a spare computer and have started 'playing' with it.

I haven't really had time to explore much yet but quite like what I have found so far.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
There is plenty to check out on Ubuntu Bod, the latest version 12.04 is one of Ubuntu's best, if you need to find out anything about the OS just post a message to this thread I would be more than happy to help.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
How do you get on with the forum software and it's various facilities Dave, photographs for example.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
It may as well be Swahili as far as I'm concerned.  I'm afraid to try anything new while Windows XP is behaving itself.  I've swung over to Firefox and Windows Live Mail, mainly because there are people to help me.

I started my own Ultra BB forum in April this year and frankly, if it wasn't for Martin I would have had no idea.  There must be lots of people like me whose eyes glaze over at the thought of it.

I've tried JMRI freeware (Decoder Pro et al), but I'm just not geeky enough to master it.

Having said all of that, I'm still going to follow this subject with interest, Dave.

Here's a question to show how far I have to travel.  Does Linux replace Windows?

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Robert, if I was asked what Linux Mint was like I would say its like a very refined version of Win XP.

It comes loaded with The Gimp for photo editing, Firefox as a browser so it pretty much works the same as any Win OS when it comes to the internet, the only difference being there is no need for Anti Spyware, Antivirus software but it does come with a Firewall, in four years I have never had a virus or any other net nasties, Google Chrome, Opera and many other browsers are available and the whole system has Automatic Updates including for software you may have downloaded.

Linux has 36,800 mostly free software programs that you can download, I myself use Gimp but have Picasa and another album type program called GThumb for photos.

For video I have VLC, Movie Player and Gnome player, for music I use Rhythmbox and Sound Converter that converts MP4, MP3 to wav or any file you like.

For CD/DVD burning I use a program called K3b that also rips CDs and is similar to Nero but there are plenty of others, I also have a program called DeVeDe to convert other files into DVD format.

When loading Linux Mint I just turn my external drives, printers etc on and it finds the drivers, it comes with scanning software, calculator, Librie Office which is similar and compatible with Microsoft Word.

There is a program that can be downloaded called Wine, this enables Windows software to be run within the Linux system, I use a couple of old favorites from when I used XP and that is Faststone Image Resizer and Faststone Viewer.

There is no way I would try and convert Windows users to Linux, I tried it but most people are so into Windows that its like cutting their leg off :lol:  what I can say though is Linux and particularly Mint allows me to compute in a trouble free way the way it was intended, it will do everything that Windows XP could do and as for forums it is no different than any other OS, no defragment needed as Linux works different to Windows systems.

To finish there is lots of information available to users on the net including forums and software developers, the system takes about 30 minutes to load onto a computer and a further 30 - 40 minutes to get all the updates, it will also run beside Windows OSs so people can choose between one and the other, I did this to start off but stayed with Linux.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi There Martin, I tried the new Ubuntu 12.04 but didn't like the Unix desktop but it can be easily fixed by switching to the old style desktop which is Gnome, this can be done by putting the following into Terminal.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install gnome-shell  and following the prompts, you then Log Out and when Logging back in just select Gnome3 this will change your desktop into something similar to Ubuntu 10.4.

I always use Linux Mint which is based on Ubuntu but a more refined version that is more versatile when it comes to downloading other software it also has a much larger range of inbuilt drivers which of course makes it more friendly to Hardware it also comes with a fair bit more usable software.

Mint also has a choice of Desktops, I tried the Mate desktop which is similar to Ubuntu with a row of icons down the LHS, the other desktop is Cinnemon which has gone back to the basic simple setup of past Mint editions, very easy on the eye and simple to operate.

I had no trouble setting Mouse speed in System Tools in Mint13 Maya Cinnemon which is what I am using now.

Hope this helps.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Wow, thanks Dave.  Lots of info there.  One of the reasons I've stuck to XP is that some of my programming software, e.g., the Lokprogrammer, don't get on with Vista or 7.

I'm being forced to buy another laptop to run my main layout.  If I can't buy another one with XP (probably second hand), can I replace what's there with Linux?

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Max here are a few links about running model railways in Linux, its something I haven't done myself because I am still a vintage style DC bloke but I hope it helps :lol:

LinTrain - Linux Based Digital Command Control

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Science-and-Engineering/Visualization/LinTrain-31759.shtml

start [Innovative Model Railroad Control System]

http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/xtrkcad

I will be interested to hear if any of software is suitable for what you are doing in XP.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Dave.  I think I need to try to explain myself better.   :oops:

If I buy another laptop and it has for example, Vista as its OS, can I replace it with Linux?

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Sorry Max, yes you sure can, I just bought two s/h dual core desktops both with WinXP loaded, the Win XP lasted just long enough for me to hit F12 on the keyboard so I could load Linux Mint.

I have used Mint on a couple of Laptops and it works very well, if you decide to go ahead just let me know as I am always willing to help out where I can.

I don't think Vista has to many fans so you would be far better off with Linux as an OS.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
No worries.  Thanks, Dave.  :thumbs

If I can get Linux to go for me on the spare laptop, I'll use it on my other computers.

Now, I just need to find where I put the number for the pre-loved-computers man.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=972]oldrailbug[/user] wrote:
Hi Max here are a few links about running model railways in Linux, its something I haven't done myself because I am still a vintage style DC bloke but I hope it helps :lol:

http://lintrain.sourceforge.net/

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Science-and-Engineering/Visualization/LinTrain-31759.shtml

http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php

http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/xtrkcad

I will be interested to hear if any of software is suitable for what you are doing in XP.
Sorry, I forgot to answer this, Dave.

I have Railroad and Co, TC Gold; so I'm OK - provided it will run with Linux.

That computer is OK and running with XP.  It's the one with the Lokprogrammer and main layout (which uses Zug), that's slowly dying.  :lol:

Posted
Rating:
I'm a bigger computer dummy that Max - my eyes don't glaze over because they don't even open in the first place !!  "OS" refers to maps in my house …………….;-)

What I have gleaned is that Windows Vista is NOT the best system in the world ……………….that's why it didn't last very long (like their ME version).

My laptop has Windows 7 installed but I hardly know what it can do because it seems so different from XP.  I do understand that most of the glitches associated with Vista have been corrected in 7.

I'll also read with interest - I might learn something ……………………

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I'm in the process of downloading linuxmint - cinnamon at the moment - 801 MB - . I see it's an iso file, whatever that means. It's the 64 bit version.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=2]Robert[/user] wrote:
I'm in the process of downloading linuxmint - cinnamon at the moment - 801 MB - . I see it's an iso file, whatever that means. It's the 64 bit version.

Well done Robert, to burn your ISO file to a DVD Rom disc just select Nero or whatever Burning Software you have to burn an ISO File, shouldn't be any problems there, the trick is to burn the disc at a very low speed to make sure there are no hiccups ;-)

Forgot to mention you can just run the disc on your Windows computer to try Mint before installing anything, a very easy system to get to know.

Last edit: by oldrailbug

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Sorry Martin I read Robert message from an email, pleased you explained the ISO to Robert.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I'm a bigger computer dummy that Max - my eyes don't glaze over because they don't even open in the first place !!  "OS" refers to maps in my house …………….;-)

What I have gleaned is that Windows Vista is NOT the best system in the world ……………….that's why it didn't last very long (like their ME version).

My laptop has Windows 7 installed but I hardly know what it can do because it seems so different from XP.  I do understand that most of the glitches associated with Vista have been corrected in 7.

I'll also read with interest - I might learn something ……………………

Hi Peter it seems most people are happy with Windows 7, I had to do some work on a friends computer the other day that had Win7 on it, it seemed to be a lot more user friendly than Vista.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I take it then that this iso file can't be run straight from the desktop.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I have burned the iso to a disk so what's next.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.