My first attempt at a scratch build

Posted
Rating:
#140468 (In Topic #7574)

A local church.

this was designed on paper then cut from will plastic card. the church is my first attempt at scratch building and is based on the church in the next village however as i am modelling LMS up north the colour tone for the stones had to be quite dark and with a strong brown colour.

that window is from Langleys and th windows are a langlys white metal kit however heavilly cut down. this looks really good when lit.

the spire was really fiddly but now its painted looks really good.

almost finished just a couple of bits to do i think it needs  weather vein just gotta find a good kit of one.

please let me know what you think.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Excellent for a first effort. Well done.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Very nice and the spire does look very good indeed.

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
What method did you use to cut the Will's sheets, Jimmy?

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Excellent, you've captured to look of the church very well.  I like the stained glass. 

John

John

Posted
Rating:
That's a very good effort for your first scratch build. I particularly like the windows and the colouring of the stonework.

Scalelink do an etched brass fret of clock faces and weather vanes.

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2escalelink%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fsearch%2ehtml&WD=vanes%20weather&PN=General___Scale_1_76__OO__Varieuse%2ehtml%23aSLF009#aSLF009

Last edit: by Chinahand

Regards,
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Excellent for anyone's first attempt and should certainly encourage you to do more. I for one look forward to more of your scratchbuilds.

Posted
Rating:
To answer the question of cutting the wills plastic sheet, well I first made the church out of card to see if the proportions were correct. Once happy I transferred each panel onto paper and glued it to the rear of a wills sheet with glue I then cut this out using a steel rule and a new blade in my model knife. I did not expect to cut through first time it takes about five runs with the knife to break through. It was held together on a grid with blue tak to check it was all straight then glued with superglue.

I am happy with the finished result and I am happy with the colour. I am currently building from scratch a terrace of three shops in the same method.

I will be looking at the scale link etch kit later ask just think a nice black weather vein would finish this. I am also painting the langley white
Metal wedding scene which will bring this to life.

I will keep you updated of my progress I appreciate the feedback, as when it's your own work you never know if it's any good and can be very critical of your own work.

James

Posted
Rating:
I'd be proud of that if I'd built it James. :thumbs

An excellent effort that really looks the part - well done that man. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Superb modelling James.  Very nice model.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
Excellent modelling and for a first attempt it's outstanding.

Ken.

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:doublethumb Beautiful church is it modelled on an actual church or is it a bit of modeling licence?

View glenn.gaw's photostream on Flickr

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
It´s modelled on a church in the village next to his. See post No.1

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:oops::oops::oops:

View glenn.gaw's photostream on Flickr

Posted
Rating:
If that's your first, I look forward to some more excellent work [shame it's not cardboard…:)], the colouring is very effective. More, please!

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
[user=755]glenng[/user] wrote:
:oops::oops::oops:

Fear not Glenn - we've all done it at some time. (well, maybe not Bob :lol::lol:)  :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Excellent looking Church - it has given me inspiration to attempt a similar type building.

Craig SR

Posted
Rating:
Craig, it was a lot easier than i thought it was the research and planning that took the time. Give it ago very rewarding

Posted
Rating:
Jimmy,

You have built a great looking model  for any level of experience, not just for a first attempt. I also love the "Will plastic card" material you are using but am not familiar with it. I'm scratch building "Hogsmeade Village" and am not very happy with the plastic stone wall stock I find through USA sources. Would you send me a URL pointer to a source for Will Plastic Card?

Thanks,

-Clay

Posted
Rating:
Clay

I must start by saying your hogwarts is fantastic.

I use wills plastic sheets that are very robust and have a very good texture. You can get these of eBay or from most model shops here is a link to one of many model shops that stock the full range.

Wills Plastic Sheet

Hope this helps.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.