John's Workbench

Posted
Rating:

Some recent projects

Taking a leaf out of Doug's book, I decided to type "LSWR Coaches" into my browser.  My blogspot article came out second on the list, right behind Bluebell Railway (who have a very nice LSWR brake).

John

John

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I mentioned my doubts about the "salmon" colour earlier.  Tonight I borrowed a very good book on the subject of livery:  Britain's Railway Liveries, Colours, Crest and Linings, 1825 - 1948 by Ernest F. Carter.  Published in 1952 by Burke.  I'm kicking myself because I actually found the book on a used book stand and pointed it out to my friend who bought it ($4.50)

In the back of the book is an appendix containing colour samples of 50 colours.  The text frequently describes the recipe for the colour.  For example, in the entry for LSWR 1900 - 1905, it describes the "salmon pink" as "white lead - 4lb 5oz, burnt sienna - 3oz, venetian red - 2.5oz and middle chrome yellow - 0.75oz".

I also got the computer printout from the store that produced the paint:  red oxide 53.2 (parts), yellow 9.4, white 6.3 and black 2.1.  Odd that the proportions are different from the LSWR recipe.

I was also given additional bottles of paint and thinners, so we're off. 

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Well done.
Would be interested to see pics of the finished sample.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
An update on the coach build.  I finished the roof of the second coach today so I think that's construction done.

I will do all 5 to this state and then go back to do the final painting.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Certainly coming along quite well John, You should be pleased so far.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
I'm looking forward to seeing them in their livery John.  They'll look great and they'll certainly have some "substance" about them. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Boy, almost a year on now since my last post - where did the time go?  I think I've just about conquered my modeller's block :cheersand over the last two weeks have been working on coach #4 in the rake and started the 6 wheel brake :pedal.  Today I primed the 4th coaches' underframe and bogies.  I'l post some pictures shortly.
John

John

Posted
Rating:
Banned
What a good read and great modelling patience you have ! Looking foward to seeing the coaches painted. If anything, the way you have presented the wagons at the beginning of this thread, the coaches will turn out no different. Excellent !

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Ha!  The wagons were easy because they were meant to be grotty.  I'm quite nervous about the coaches.
John

John

Posted
Rating:
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:
Ha!  The wagons were easy because they were meant to be grotty.  I'm quite nervous about the coaches.
John

Ha ha… I know full well from structure modelling that to make a good distressed building you must start with a good un-distressed building!

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
They look very good to me John, and they'll make a nice rake for your layout. Something you can look back on and say " I made those".

Keep it coming…

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Yep, really looking forward to the day they're finished.

Pictures as promised:

All 3rd coach.

6 wheeled brake underframe - I wanted to check the Kadee height.  Center axle moves laterally and leftmost axle swivels.  Quite a challenge to work out the intent of the instructions.  I managed to melt part of the leftmost spring - repaired with plastic strip.

Brake body - fairly straightforward.
John

John

Posted
Rating:
I came slightly unstuck when trying to get the lower footboards on the underframe.  I totally misread/misunderstood the instructions and ended up having to strip the underframe.  I damaged some castings in the process but got some spares from Roxey.

I spent the last while working on the coach on and off and finally got the construction done:

Now that all 5 coaches are complete as far as construction goes, I will be thinking about paint and interior.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Excellent build work on your rolling stock John.
Those kits certainly add to variety when it comes to running your railway.
Now painting liverys is an altogether different challange.
I see all the Bill Bedford range are being offered by Mousa models now, plus they are developing loads of pre grouping rolling stock, LNWR,MR,GNR etc,etc also the coach range is being upgraded.

regards,

Derek.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Derek, these are being built for a friend (who is paying me, though not much).  A good way to gain experience.

I really like Bill Bedford's designs.  I assume you are referring to the wagons at the start of the thread.  Not the easiest build but a very gratifying result.  I built the ballast wagons as part of a group build initiated by someone on Model Rail Forum.  About 20 people signed up but I only saw one other wagon actually finished to a reasonable state.

I have his 2-4-2T chassis in EM that I plan to put under a Cotswold kit - hopefully before Bachmann get theirs out.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
At last!  It’s all coming together.   I primed the coach bodies yesterday and they look about 1000 times better.  I used a 3 part process (which I don’t claim to be the most efficient or best – just my choice):

1)      Acid (5% Acetic) bath overnight 

2)      Primed with paint that seemed to be specifically formulated for bare metal (the tall can).  I could only find grey.

3)      Primed again with Red Oxide.  Since the coaches are to be salmon/brown, I wanted this to be the undercoat (which does matter).

I’ve also prepared the seats, 1st, 2nd and 3rd – what a lot!

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Oh they do look good John.
Well Done!

If you ever get stuck for Acetic acid, white vinegar will do the trick? Of course the smell is a little stronger.

regards,

Derek

Posted
Rating:
Actually Derek, Vinegar is what I used - got a big bottle of the cheapest I could find.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
They look very good indeed John.

Look forward to seeing the top coat next.

Regards,
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Trevor - spent some time today trying to replicate the salmon colour.  I think I got it pretty close.  Phoenix do the colour but the new rules from Royal Mail have stopped "hazardous" material from being shipped.  Some suppliers are using couriers for shipping so that costs more.

John

John

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.