John's Workbench

Posted
Rating:

Some recent projects

Look forward to seeing this completed, John.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Yep, coming along nicely I reckon.  I assembled the body today:

I decided to try the body:

Looking like a coach now.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
Some excellent work there John.  :thumbs

I have a few of those Roxey kits to do myself so I'll be following your progress with more than some interest! :cool:

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
The paint job is going to be tricky.

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
It's almost a sin to paint it

Posted
Rating:
Jeff, you can see a lot more detail at my blogspot link.  Delighted that I can help.

Painting will be tricky yes.  Whenever I build a kit I always have in the back of my mind "how will I paint this?"  Sometimes it means leaving bits off until later - like, in this case, the ventilators above the doors.

If my soldering were better, I might agree that it shouldn't be painted.  As it is, paint will cover a multitude of sins.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Here are some pics of a trial assembly:

Roof is on loosely and protected with masking tape - white gets grimy very quickly with handling.

Guard end has a Kadee on the bogie, other end has a loop coupling - its' mate will get a hook.

Assembly is now complete, I can start painting now.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Very nice John. :thumbs

Was it difficult ?  I've always imagined those brass sides take some doing to get them true.  They're quite thin aren't they ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Lpoking very nice can't wait to see its progress as the paint is applied

Jim

Posted
Rating:
Lovely piece of workmanship. I have never had the courage to tackle a brass kit, so I am envious. However I have recently bought a soldering station so you never know!
Regards
Ray

Regards

Rhiwderin_Ray

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Guys.

These things are never "easy" but a well designed kit ( as this is ) goes a long way to making the job doable.  Yes the sides are very thin since the bead detail is half etched, but fit is precise and didn't require much in the way of fettling.

This is as far as I've ever taken a brass coach, but it's looking promising.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
A very nice build John and, as you say, "a definite keeper".

Regards,
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
I've been plodding away over the last few days.

I finished the build of the first coach. I added rainstrips and corbels to the roof - something I had forgotten above.

I was going to paint it but when I started looking at the "salmon" paint I was given, I didn't think the colour was right - so that's on hold.  I did paint the underframe and bogies black.

The "salmon" paint has been formulated locally using a swatch in an old book on railway liveries.  It is quite different from the colour of a preserved coach I have and other models.  The thing about colour of something that disappeared in the second decade of ther 20th century is that there are no reliable colour photos (there may be colourized ones) and no-one left to confirm the correctness.  It may well be that the colour I have is correct and everyone else is wrong.

The second coach is well on the way with bogies and underframe completed today.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I just know I would not have the patience to do coaches like this, the odd Coopercraft waggon is bad enough!

Doug

PS Love the weathering on the waggons earlier :thumbs

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
LOL, yes, patience is required.  Well into the second coach build now.  I am queasy about the coach body painting.  Even with plastic wagon kits I like to make sure the brakegear is up to snuff by replacing some parts (there are so many that are impossibly fine to get right in plastic) with brass.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I've more or less finished the solder construction of the second coach.  A few bits and bobs left.  This is a tri-composite (2 compartments each of 1st, 2nd and 3rd - all with lav. access).

I would say that this one went together easier and quicker than the first - not surprising I suppose.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Another triumph!

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Looks brilliant John and, as you say, maybe practice makes perfect. :thumbs  By the time you've done the whole train, you'll be throwing them together in no time at all ………….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi John, lovely work on the wagons and especially the coaches. I presume that you are using an airbrush to paint the coaches, how will you go about the interior? Are they going to be detailed inside?

Posted
Rating:
Cheers chaps.   I do plan to airbrush the coaches.  I tried brush painting enamel on a pair of coaches not too long ago … what a mess.  I hope to get some thinners for the salmon paint tonight.  I am inspired by an article by Andrew Lambert in MRJ 82 for the interior.  Basically layers of 0.010" plastic.  I already cut the windows out using the coach sides as a template.

John

John

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.