Dapol 4mm Semaphores

Posted
Rating:

Wiring

Nick, I think Dapol (well Dave Jones was the driving force behind some of these innovations I suspect) deserve some credit for bravely trying to bring a RTP signal to market.  No-one has done this before with a motorized device.  Prior to these, the modeller had to either make Ratio kits (which look good but are difficult to motorize I think) or MSE kits.  As you say, execution maybe could have been better.

John

John

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
John

I totally agree that the idea of RTR signals is a very good one and a major leap forward from the old Hornby manual ones that we used as kids.  The Ratio signals are nice models and I have used a couple of sets to producethe LNER signals on Yarslow but they are static.

I have "working signals" on my layout bucket list and have promised myself to tick this off.  I was really hoping that Dapol had really come good but apparently not.  Shame.

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:
Nick, I think Dapol (well Dave Jones was the driving force behind some of these innovations I suspect) deserve some credit for bravely trying to bring a RTP signal to market.  No-one has done this before with a motorized device.  Prior to these, the modeller had to either make Ratio kits (which look good but are difficult to motorize I think) or MSE kits.  As you say, execution maybe could have been better.

John
I don't disagree John but my man gripe would be that they have been on the market now for some time, failures are high and they have done nothing about it. Perhaps it was perhaps DJ's departure around the same time as the launch of the signals that left the legacy of Dapol not knowing how to address the problem.

Posted
Rating:
Nick, I got into it with Dave on RMWeb when I said the same thing about their Stove R, another brave effort flawed in the execution with a host of horrible compromises under the solebars.  As shipped these don't work, or at least the ones I and my friends had didn't. 

Problem is we don't have the statistics to back our claims up and Dapol aren't saying.

John

John

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.