Scalescenes Small Engine Shed

Posted
Rating:
#138929 (In Topic #7452)

Latest Gem by John

Scalescenes latest kit has arrived - the small engine shed as previously given away with Hornby Magazine, but now available in a choice of texture finishes.  This model looks fantastic.  I especially like the idea of a water tank on one end of the roof.  Every branch line should have one of these.  Get yours while stocks last!

Here's the link:

http://www.scalescenes.com/products/R021a-Small-Engine-Shed?PHPSESSID=62b6652f57c0703c29f6b33ea8e1a5de

Terry
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
FS
Inactive Member
Looks great!

Thomas

TUTTO IN GRIGIO ARDESIA

Posted
Rating:
I've just finished this fantastic kit.  Top marks to John Wiffen of Scalescenes.  I chose to make the shed with doors at one end only and with the water tank over the doors.  I produced the windows via the self-adhesive label method and coloured the window frames with watercolour paints.  I darkened the light grey doors using Promarker pens which do not smudge the inkjet print.  This kit went together easily and was very enjoyable to build.  Highly recommended by me!

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
I must say it does look very smart and a nice addition to a branch line.

Posted
Rating:
Looks great Terry.  Scalescenes really are fantasic, if time consuming, kits. :thumbs:thumbs

Did you hit any snags in the build ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That's lovely, Terry.  :thumbs

Are the windows part of the kit?

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
A good job done there Terry.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
That's lovely, Terry.  :thumbs

Are the windows part of the kit?

See "I produced the windows via the self-adhesive label method and coloured the window frames with watercolour paints".

Come along, Max, have you had your All-Bran today? Tee-hee! Unless I've got it all wrong, Terry has chosen to print out the 'windows' Scalescenes page onto self-adhesive A4 labels, stuck them to the acrylic sheet and then cut straight across each frame and picked off the 'panes' with tweezers, [what I call 'Les Windows' because he was kind enough to send me some A4 SALs], and he's done it very nicely, too.

Whilst I am the first to admit that a lot of the credit for the finished models is due to the individual constructor, the newer S'scenes models are now capable of being made up into 'museum' quality builds as Terry has amply demonstrated and John Wiffen deserves another round of applause…

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hmm.  I must concentrate.  So many forums, so few hours.  :oops:

Posted
Rating:
Thank you for the praise chaps, but as Doug points out, the designer deserves all the credit.  John has done a wonderful job with this kit.  Re the windows, Doug is correct.  In fact, John describes the sticky label method in the kit instructions.  You can, of course, print the windows directly onto acrylic sheet but that would restrict you to black window frames.  There is also the option of purchasing etched brass window frames from Brassmasters.  I had a slight problem in as much that the self-adhesive labels left some sticky residue on the window panes.  Any idea as to how to remove this without damaging the paper frames?
Peter, no real snags encountered during construction.  One slight problem were gaps at the base of the two vents on the roof which was due to my not being too careful when cutting out and laminating the four pieces (per vent) together. This was easily remedied by glueing thin strips at the base of both vents.  For some reason I had it in my head that the water tank was going to be a problem but it turned out to be very easy to construct.
All in all, a very enjoyable build.

Posted
Rating:
I had a slight problem in as much that the self-adhesive labels left some sticky residue on the window panes.  Any idea as to how to remove this without damaging the paper frames?
I too have had this problem, and used a cotton bud dampened with de-natured alcohol [meths?] to get rid of the smears, it evapourated very quickly and did not affect the remaining frames although I wasn't too generous with the fluid. I've since discovered that picking up a minute part of the corner of the 'pane' area with a scalpel blade and then taking it off with tweezers in 'peeling back' motion rather than a 'lifting off' makes the least mess.

Again, well done, nice model, I'd love to weather it!

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Doug.  If and when the shed is placed on a layout, I'll give it a good weathering.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Really superb build Terry, many thanks for posting the images! I'm slowly shuffling my way towards a Doors and windows pack designed with self adhesive paper in mind.

John

John Wiffen
Graphic Designer
Scalescenes.com

Posted
Rating:
A superb piece of kit building Terry. You're certainly showing John's work in its best light.

Last edit: by Chinahand

Regards,
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
[user=524]Scalescenes[/user] wrote:
Really superb build Terry, many thanks for posting the images! I'm slowly shuffling my way towards a Doors and windows pack designed with self adhesive paper in mind.

John

….when you do, John, please will you think of GWR 1920s standards?

[aplogies for hi-jack]

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Now that's what I want but in N Gauge.

Regards,
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
[user=946]Chinahand[/user] wrote:
Now that's what I want but in N Gauge.

I think they are lovely, huge windows, enough light/dark stone to make it interesting and after the mid-twenties, only a few advertisement plates. In my mind, the best looking rural era!

See here 'Modellers' Guide to the Great Western Railway' [The Nostalgia Collection] ISBN1-85794-204-3 for inspiration, there's lots more there!

[Reproduced by kind permission of the artist, Mr Trevor Booth, please do not re-post elsewhere]

Doug

[with further apologies for the off-post addition]

Posted
Rating:
Thank you John and Trevor.  A doors and windows pack will be very useful.  Doug, that's a superb station building.  Presumably it is featured in the scratchbuilding section of 'Your Model Railway'?
Terry   

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry, I'm not sure, I gave it away in 2010 for the YMR exhibition, it may still exist on a module in someones loft somewhere! I've a few pictures of it somewhere! I'll have a look if you are interested, it would be contemparory with the engine shed, too.

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Doug,  Don't go to any trouble as I don't actually model the GWR.  I was interested to read how you built it.  But thanks all the same.

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.