ScR steam in the 50's

They're all well hidden:lol: ;-)

Last edit: by Ben Alder

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
G'day Ben,

Thanks for the updates regarding the platforms, platform edging and ballast. As usual, you have provided more great photos and good desriptions of your work.

Looking foward to see the 'greening' of the layout.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
There has been quit a bit of progress in tidying and finishing on the build, but really is not worth showing as it happens- I'll do this when it is starting to look a bit more finished, so for the moment here are some more from my The Mound  layout that was dismantled last year.

These are mostly of the branch train, that ran to Dornoch, and latterly had an ex-GW pannier tank as the motive power for the line. These were serviced at Helmsdale, so will still appear in future photographs.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Excellent photographic work there Ben. Plenty of atmosphere to soak up.

Posted
Rating:
I'd tried to post this earlier Ben but couldn't get on the forum ………….:twisted::twisted::twisted:

I think you've posted these latest photos in the wrong place - thay should be in the "Prototype" section …………………

Some absolutely stunning photos there, really stunning.

There's very very little to identify them as models rather than the real thing - and I mean very little !!

The one glaring give-away is the fact that, in Thurso, you'd never get fine weather for long enough to walk from one end of the station to the other to take those photos - you either "cheated" using Photoshop or you had 2 photographers …..:lol::lol::lol::lol:

It really does beg the question - why in heavens name, did you scrap the layout ?  Surely you weren't planning to do something better !!! :shock::shock::shock::shock:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the kind words re. photographs. This was an offshoot of my railway modelling- a rekindled interest in photography when I succumbed to the digital age in 2005 and discovered the potential of these little boxes. Very few of my images have had anything done to them beyond straightening and cropping with regard to processing, but the skies are extended by a mixture of lassooing and use of the smudge finger- I got quite artistic at it latterly. I don't like the use of drop in backgrounds to layouts that often feature in magazine shots, as these rarely tie in with the colors of the layout itself, and usually detract from the presentation of the layout.

This was one of the reasons for scrapping the last set-up;- it was built into the lean of a sloping roof, which made a decent height of backscene impossible. It also was begun in 1992, so I felt it had had a decent innings. If the room had been bigger and I had placed it against another wall, I might have retained it, but I wanted to have a go at Helmsdale, which has more operating potential- TBH, I was getting a bit bored with The Mound, and I wanted to build something that gave me more movements.

I have plenty of images of the scrapped stations, and as my thread title is the Far North Line, I will drop some more in now and again

Oh and BTW, Thurso and the northern tip os Scotland has had the best weather of the whole of Britain this summer- hardly any rain at all and a glorious May and June when there was hardly any darkness at all for six weeks- not normal weather for the  area, but it does happen from time to time!…..

Posted
Rating:
Here is a view from the beach  on 20th June at 2am- The headland on the right is Dunnet Head- furthest north point of the British mainland. If it was always like this it would be a popular place to be….

Posted
Rating:
[user=772]Ben Alder[/user] wrote:

I have plenty of images of the scrapped stations, and as my thread title is the Far North Line, I will drop some more in now and again

Oh and BTW, Thurso and the northern tip os Scotland has had the best weather of the whole of Britain this summer- hardly any rain at all and a glorious May and June when there was hardly any darkness at all for six weeks- not normal weather for the  area, but it does happen from time to time!.….
I'll really look forward to seeing more of the now defunct Mound Ben :thumbs

And we mustn't forget that, in your latitudes, your twilight May and June is balanced out by November and December when the sun only just manages to scrape underside of the horizon .……………..:lol::lol::lol:

"Everything" happens from time to time Ben and, although palm trees grow on the beach as far north as Aberdeenshire, the sea is a few degrees cooler than in the Med !!! :shock::shock::mutley:mutley

At least you're not troubled too much by traffic jams and wardens ………………:roll::roll:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
That's a stunning photo Ben. :thumbs

As you say, if it was always like that, who would ever want to go anywhere else …………..:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Things are starting to come together on the layout now, and I managed to get some shots in natural light last Sunday that didn't show unfinished groundwork! it's good to start to see where the build is going.
Here are  a couple from the session- both types of engine long associated with the area in days gone by.

Posted
Rating:
Work is continuing on the layout, and has reached a stage where all the buildings are in place and basic scenic work is all but completed. I am tidying up a few odds and ends and the next stage is top cover of landscaping. For the moment, here area couple of shots taken the other day. Helmsdale has had a turntable installed and a first coat of paint at the engine sheds, as seen here.

Posted
Rating:
And one at Thurso, showing the goods sidings, taken in natural light.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Just read the whole of your thread, really enjoying both layouts!

Thanks for all the posts! 

Bozzy(never known to pass a pub)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ben, I echo the comments of others as your layout(s) is just stunning, one of those layouts where it is a real pleasure just sit and view all the detail. You fully deserve the header photo slot. The stormy skies are very striking, and unusual - my layout is mid summer bright sunshine everywhere!! I also like your signals - are they kit built or made from scratch?

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Cheers, I will add some more photos when I have time. The signals are mostly scratchbuilt, and copies of the one at The Mound, although one or two are basically the Ratio model.

Posted
Rating:
I,ve just read this thread from the start and also echo what others have said the backscenes are really strikeing that I have bookmarked the ID site for future purchase .

Brian(G)

Posted
Rating:
The backscenes are an excellent product, and certainly help set the scene for me. Highly reccomended.

I have been working on the Thurso goods shed, adding an office - found enough traces of its existence to hazard  a guess at its appearance- and done the ridge flashing. The roof pitch has been altered as I made a mistake in the original build- working from photos- and it looks more in proportion now.

Posted
Rating:
Ben,

Superb photos - thanks for sharing them :thumbs

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Ben,
In the below photo that was on a recent post what did you do to create the effect on the trackwork in the yard. Was it plaster painted a grey colour or DAS clay or another substance you have used. It looks excellent, as do your other photos. Keep inspiring us with more photos as the layout progresses.
Craig

Craig SR

Posted
Rating:
Hi,

Shed ground cover was  Fine surface, or whatever it's called- comes in a tub- Polyfilla put on with an artist's palette knife and painted with a mix of acrylic greys, put on wet and blended together. I am going to go back to this bit as the finish has come out a bit glossy, but it is something that can wait till I get further ahead.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.