00 Gauge - The Far North Line

Posted
Rating:

ScR steam in the 50's

Great layout and photos. Just love those backgrounds. Can I ask where the shed personnel came from?

'
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Cheers, the "problem" with Peco points is that they are HO gauge, to no real prototype geometry, but a generic product basically aimed at the worldwide HO market, and use flatbottom rail as opposed to steam era bullhead type that does sit higher on the sleeper. That said, they are reliable and offer a practical quick way forward to those not keen on point building, but can be tweaked into looking a bit more British. Trimming off the various gubbins around the tiebar helps improve matters, including the spring mechanism if your control method incorporates this.The chairs make the biggest impact though.

The figures in the yard- the guy with a grey jacket is Airfix- now Dapol,IIR, and the other two are white metal, but am not sure where they came from now- perhaps Dart/ Montys- I know finding good 4mm figures is difficult, hence the current dearth of passengers at the station.

Last edit: by Ben Alder

Posted
Rating:
The chairs do seem to make a big difference Ben. :thumbs

Firstly, where do you get them from and secondly, are they a "complete" chair that you cut down and just use them externally ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
The chairs are from C&L - http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=346_347_348 -and are some I had lying about from an abortive point building project. They were cut in half and superglued on to the point sleeper after I removed the moulded track fixing. I'll come back to this once I get some more and see what can be done with the inside of the rails.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ben,

The Peco Ponts look good with the cosmetic chairs added.

What do you use for the plain track? Is it C&L or SMP?

Simon

Posted
Rating:
Thanks, it does make a big difference to the whole layout, with the track now having an integrity that was lacking when the point rails were so obviously different. I use C&L track- I think it looks better than SMP- and it looks British in a way that Peco code 75 or 100 never can. The points are tolerable- often sleeper spacing is tighter than plain track anyway- once ballasted.

Posted
Rating:
As an aside from the point work, I spent some time today in the attic playing with the light coming through the Velux. Here are some of the results.

Some more to follow.

Posted
Rating:
Good stuff Ben.;-);-);-)

Phil

Phil

Posted
Rating:
Thanks, here are some more.

Last edit: by Sol

Posted
Rating:
You could be there!

Nice work. :)

Cheers

Ted

Posted
Rating:
We know it's a superb layout Ben but the lighting is wonderful. :thumbs

It brings out such a lot of relief whilst adding loads of atmosphere.  As Ted says, you could be there.  Lovely models, lovely scenery and lovely lighting. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Lovely work as usual Ben.

Cheers

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Thanks guys- it really a case of the camera and suitable light, but it is producing interesting results.I hope to catch more over the next couple of months before the light fades too much. Almost out of images  FTM, but here are a couple more- then its a question of trying to find some more.

And a pair of vans, in cruel close up…

Posted
Rating:
Ben, those pictures are absolutely fantastic. Wonderful modelling and the bit of natural lighting adds a special something to what is already great.

All the best, Jon

Posted
Rating:
FS
Inactive Member
I really enjoy watching the pictures of this thread, great work!

Thomas

TUTTO IN GRIGIO ARDESIA

Posted
Rating:
[user=772]Ben Alder[/user] wrote:
Thanks guys- it really a case of the camera and suitable light, but it is producing interesting results.I hope to catch more over the next couple of months before the light fades too much. Almost out of images  FTM, but here are a couple more- then its a question of trying to find some more.

Great pictures Ben, as for finding some more…..it's amazing how many scenes can be created by just moving loco's and wagons etc about and it's not until the camera gets right down on the track that things start to look real.

Keep 'em coming.

Phil

Phil

Posted
Rating:
Those "cruel close ups" of the vans are amazing Ben.  Not a thing out of place. :thumbs

How did you do the weathering and chalk marks ?  You must have extremely good eyesight…………:shock::shock:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Great modelling and great camera work Ben. Keep 'em coming.

Last edit: by Chinahand

Regards,
Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Like the photo's Ben, what's the secret with the close up of the wagons with the chalk marks on. Has to be a combination of very good eye sight/magnifying glass and a small thin piece of chalk. Very though what ever method you use, well done indeed.

Last edit: by Barneybuffer

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney

Posted
Rating:
 J**z, what a response- much appreciated, thank you. I'll talk more tomorrow, but spent some different hours in the attic today, and have a further selection prepared. A couple to begin with.

Last edit: by Sol

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.