Making Windows

Posted
Rating:
#135883 (In Topic #7257)

How would you make these in model form?

Whilst enjoying a country ramble a few days ago, I came across a small Methodist church which was just crying out to be modelled.  This might well be the subject of another build on this  forum so I won't divulge too much as yet.  However, for a simple brick building the windows are rather ornate and it has set my mind to the problem of how I would make these.  I don't own any drawing programs.  My current thinking is that I could try to get a fine white paint pen and draw each window on acetate over a simple line drawing.  Or would it be viable to get some etchings or laser cut windows made? I would need to produce two of this:

And eight of this:

Waiting for the ideas to flood in.

Terry

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Loads of information and kit in both forum indexes, some of which may be what you are looking for.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Bob.  I'll explore those.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Wayne had done fancy windows starting at Post #147  under http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=7529&forum_id=14&page=8

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
I hope this helps…….I'd cut out the window openings, treat with shellac, and file/sandpaper as smooth and regular as possible, then use the shapes as patterns to mark out the window frames on some self-adhesive label material stuck to glazing material.

Ensuring you can accurately reproduce vertical and horizontal axis, and working against a ruler stuck down with blobs of blue-tak, I'd just draw in the rest to suit your own standards of exactitude.

cut straight across all joins/intersections and you've got it.

The 'spindly' ones can simply be drawn with school compasses and cut out with a scalpel, you should manage to get them down to about 1/3mm, given the skill you have shown in your light-house modelling….

Doug

"..Or would it be viable to get some etchings or laser cut windows made? …"

AAAaaagh! Spending money, what a suggestion,  oh, I need a lie-down, and so soon after Sunday lunch, you so-and-so….

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Ron, thank you for the link.  Very interesting.

Doug, spot on!  Thanks very much for the drawings.  I think this method could be the way to go, especially as I have just bought twenty A4 sheets of self-adhesive labels.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
What I would do (not necessarily what anyone else should do!).

I would build the main frame to the correct depth with plasticard.
Using thin plasticard I would then draw the structure for the pane frames and cut out with a sharp scalpel.
Mount and paint.
Even easier if this is 4mm.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Terry,
Just as an FYI….Open Office has a drawing function in it….and it is free.

Khris

Posted
Rating:
[user=672]Khris[/user] wrote:
Terry,
Just as an FYI….Open Office has a drawing function in it….and it is free.

Khris

If you are interested in a useful free drawing program, 'Photoplus SE' has been trialled here on YMR and several people here have produced edited pictures, drawings and 'miniaturised' posters.

It has a useful paralax correcting function and is reasonably easy to use.

I produced a set of generic windows, doors, roller shutters etc which members used in projects to make baclscene elements, and did some 'how-tos' starting from a blank screen to a finished article. 

The best thing is that if you like it and can get on with it it costs only £10 to download the 'pro' version, but the initial download, together with it's excellent tutuorial pages is free, free I tell you Hhhhaaaaaa-haaaa, [insert skipping, happy, fat bearded old git emoticon…]

Doug

HELP! Where did I put all this, remember the flat factory front, and the offcie block an, an, and the Doofertorials???

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
[user=312]dooferdog[/user] wrote:

HELP! Where did I put all this, remember the flat factory front, and the offcie block an, an, and the Doofertorials???

Doug, will these help ?

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=7370&forum_id=14&page=1

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=6851&forum_id=14

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=6013&forum_id=14   post #19

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=5859&forum_id=14

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for taking the time to find those, Sol…..

I'm thinking of the sheets I produced as attachments, with a selection of windows, lengths of wall, etc. Was it under 'Projects'? If so I haven't yet found it. The 'why' is because they also contained [or the threads contained] details of how to use the Serif Photoplus SE download to shrink posters etc to print out on glossy photopape to make enamel signs and so on……….I remember Phill 'Yee-hawing' all the way to the O.K. Corral 'cos he managed to do some….

Doug

[I just know Cap'n Bob will find it/them in the index somewhere and you know who will be getting 'whupped and sent to bed with no hot milk'………Believe me, I have looked but can't remember what they were files under…………..]

D

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I would draw them up on CAD and have them laser cut from paper, I did this with my model of Aylesbury engine shed.

David

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=7615&forum_id=72&highlight=aylesbury#p142425

Last edit: by David Bigcheeseplant

Posted
Rating:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:

Thasser' wun! Cor, what a head-ache that one was. I've found the office block, too,

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=7470&forum_id=156

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Thank you gentlemen.  Food for thought.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Here's another link that might help with the fancy windows if you follow Doug's articles, scroll down to get to the windows:
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=5974&forum_id=14

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Bob.  Fantastic idea.  I've already downloaded the doors.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry
I know this is an old thread but I am slowly working my way through the "Scratchbuilding" forum and I came across this one.
You might want to try "Open sash windows" In that forum (This is topic ID = 12320).

Regards

Jim

Because, except in some unfortunate circumstances, trains did not run on town centre streets

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Jim.  The model still hasn't been built, as yet.  I will probably go for the self-adhesive label method if and when it does get built.
Regards,
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Hi Terry
I suspect that you are quite skilled with a craft knife but please remember that the hard part of using self adhesive paper is getting it to come off of the backing paper. You will need inordinate patience just to get it off in one piece as your window bars will be something like 0.333 mm if you go for 1 inch in OO gauge. Next, unless you simply stick the cut out down on a blank sheet of transparent material and draw in your masons opening around it, you will have problems aligning the the cut out and getting it to lie flat without wrinkling or breaking.
Just to keep you happy the self adhesive paper backing is either waxed or varnished so that, in theory, you can peel it off of the sticky bit.
This means that it has different cutting qualities to the adhesive paper and can deform whilst you are cutting it. The adhesive side also shares the "Oh Bugger" factor of superglue in that it will grab ANYTHING it comes near and never release its hold.
If you really want to pursue this route print on the backing paper and cut from that side.
Unless you can get something which will not stain your paper you can not grease/oil the knife and anyway with such fine bars the lubricant will contaminate the bars and remove the sticky stuff like you want it to do on the blade.

I am not saying don't use this method. Just be aware of the possible snags.  :shock: :shock: :shock:
Regards
Jim.

Last edit: by The Bankie

Because, except in some unfortunate circumstances, trains did not run on town centre streets
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.