Painting Dapol 00 scale figures - Part 1

Posted
Rating:
Some more of the original batch, completed as best I can.  The two female figures have had different heads added and one has lost her umbrella, which is replaced by a bag:

Bob(K)
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Those are great, Bob. So good to see that lady without her brolly for a change [I have a couple of those]  It can't be easy to modify her, because the umbrella is moulded into the skirt.
 I've never known what to make of the man with the coat over his arm. His left hand looks like a table leg, or something, but it looks like you've managed to put his hand into the pocket on his jacket.
 Top job!

Mike
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Les
Inactive Member
Great job as ever Bob.

Just one question "why is the guard fraternising with the lady passenger?" Surely this is against railway company rules. You may be in Liberia but please remember you are BRITISH and have standards to uphold. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Les

Devon Junction
Kernow Junction

Posted
Rating:

Les said

Great job as ever Bob.

Just one question "why is the guard fraternising with the lady passenger?" Surely this is against railway company rules. You may be in Liberia but please remember you are BRITISH and have standards to uphold. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Les

Les

I somehow knew you were going to pick me up on that one - actually he is clipping her round the ear for fare dodging :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob(K)

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Guest user

Novice said

Les said

Great job as ever Bob.

Les

Les

I somehow knew you were going to pick me up on that one - actually he is clipping her round the ear for fare dodging :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob(K)

That was in the days when such goings on like clipping one around the ears was acceptable - nowdays, you would be sued.

Bob, they are very good -

I will work out my needs & send you 300 already painted to modify & repaint in UK colours, not USA colours ( no reflection on our USA mates)  :P
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Novice said

Bob(K)

Sounds like a typical member of the extended Dapol Clan, they should fit in right at home on your layout.
Nicely done Bob(K)

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
brilliant bit of painting of figures better eyes than i have,  anthony
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thank you so much for a very helpful thread. I must do better (if I ever find the time).
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
If you are looking for anything in particular then don't forget the Indexes we have on here. For both the forum and equipment.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bob

So glad you have resisted the urge to go OTT war-game style as so many modellers do.  There's a lot to be gained from other areas of modelling but the war-game style of figure painting is quite frankly god awful!  In 4mm scale if you look at a figure from 2 feet away that's nearly 150 feet in real terms and I challenge anyone to see war-game style strong shadows from that distance.  Add in that a lot of materials are not opaque anyway and very strong shadows on people just dont happen in normal light.

It's a fine balance between some shadow and making a figure look like a cartoon or a model that's caked in dirt, you have done very well

Cheers

Jim

Last edit: by jim s-w

Jim Smith-Wright

Rule 1 - Model what you really see and not what you think you know!
www.p4newstreet.com

Posted
Rating:
A suggestion: I use a thin (ink or acrylic) brown "bath" after the basic colors are finished.  Dip the figure in (I use old 35mm plastic film bottle)then blot excess by touching head to paper towel and let dry UP-SIDE-DOWN.  Wash runs into "bottom" of folds creating and effective shadow effect.

Posted
Rating:
Good to see this thread again.

Another tip: When transplanting heads, limbs and accessories, bear in mind the destination when cutting the donor figure.
With practice, it's possible to get clean cuts which virtually match without further trimming.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Great thread Novice, I have just read the lot. Bob had directed me to this and I am impressed with your figures, fantastic ! :thumbs

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Totally agree with Gary, very informative thread Novice.

Read through from the beginning last night and even though I'm a long way off from doing any scenery I've ordered some cheap figures to practice on :thumbs

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
An excellent thread. I did read somewhere that someone used to paint all his figure matt black as an undercoat then add the other colours afterwards when the black had dried. He said it made the colours more natural. With plastic figures give them a good soak in clean warm water with washing up liquid added and after soaking for a while give them a scrub with an old toothbrush then a good rinse in clean running water. Apparently it removes the mould freeing agent and helps the primer stick better.

Last edit: by 60019Bittern

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
An acquaintance of mine uses the black undercoat method to produce excellent figures:

http://www.brifayle.ca/

Isn't there a concern about the lanolin in washing up liquid vis a vis paint sticking?

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That's where the wash in running water comes in I suppose. I've used it myself and it does work.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.