Baseboard size.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Advice..

Thank's Derek that's a great bit of advice i shall do that..

Much appreciated..

Tom..
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Tom,
No problem.
A couple of other things to think about.
With your new plan.
Baseboard working hight.?
Do not make your baseboard to low.
That leads to difficult working under the baseboards, if you have too do any wireing or adding point motors, Bus wire,s if DCC. ect.
Also your room access can you now just walk into the work area of your layout?
regards,
Derek

Last edit: by shunter1

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

I thought i would share some pictures of my bench work i have started,

Anyway the bench work is still incomplete i have  the legs to brace and the MDF to go on top and a few adjustments here  and there not sure if you can see from the pictures but i have also done  two small triangles to take the edge off the angles inside..

I  have purchased some code 80 Peco flexi track also which looks really  nice to be fair and invested in a couple of books on scenery ETC for  model railways. Had a quick look at the book and it should keep me quiet  for a bit 

I  have not done a track lay out plan yet because i have mixed feelings  with regards to the Theme i am quite liking a Desert theme with some  good rockery for scenery ETC… Not sure i change my mind loads and with  being totally new to this i may need some help with a track plan from  people on here  ..

Anyway  thought i would share my progress so far.. Apologies to any moderators  if i have made a mistake uploading the pictures (Hope their ok)… Oh  and the Pars picture is coming down 

Thanks for looking..  Tom..

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
You are off to a flying start Tom, looking good so far. Very neat too.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks Robert all i have to do now is a few adjustments and decide on what (mm) to have the MDF in..

I was informed to use Confirmat screw's because they are designed for particle board. They seem cheap enough and i will buy some and use a spare piece of MDF to practice on see how they go because i have never used them before.

Tom..
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
My word Thomas - you've been hiding your light under a bushel !!  Great looking benchwork. :thumbs

I'm just a little confused about your theme - I didn't know there were many deserts on the GWR …………:lol::lol::lol: 

I do however, like the sound of it.  If you haven't bought any rolling stock yet and are seriously thinking about desert and rock faces, I'd suggest, you have a look at US outline.  It can be considerably cheaper than UK outline - because the manufacturing runs are massive compared with UK stuff.  It's "HO" (or also "N") which is very slightly smaller than "OO" and you could have some great fun with rocks and trestle bridges etc.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
My word Thomas - you've been hiding your light under a bushel !!  Great looking benchwork. :thumbs

I'm just a little confused about your theme - I didn't know there were many deserts on the GWR …………:lol::lol::lol: 

I do however, like the sound of it.  If you haven't bought any rolling stock yet and are seriously thinking about desert and rock faces, I'd suggest, you have a look at US outline.  It can be considerably cheaper than UK outline - because the manufacturing runs are massive compared with UK stuff.  It's "HO" (or also "N") which is very slightly smaller than "OO" and you could have some great fun with rocks and trestle bridges etc.
:lol::lol:   I know what you mean one minute GWR then changing my mind :lol:

I will make an effort and try and do some sort of track plan once i finally come round to choosing a theme…

I will take a look at the US outline as you suggest with interest..

Thanks.

Tom..
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Well i don some looking on the US outline ans stumbled across the West side lumber and co and i think i quite like the look of the theme it has some good scenery with trees and mountains and trestle bridge..

Plenty of variety just have to do some more research and then try and complete a track plan…
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
You might be interested in this online magazine Thomas - it's in our index I think.

A monthly US outline magazine with lots to read.

Try it here - Column - Lite&Narrow: West side Lumber Co. Wooden Water Tank Car - the MRH Forum

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks Peter that's really good of you to put the link up..

Will have a good read for sure..

Thanks.

Tom.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Sorry guys I put this in the wrong spot
I started a new topic
Baseboard size problem
Please help

Thanks Nick
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Tom:
Good clean work there and it looks like a nice space.
Although your MDF fixings will help with rigidity, a couple of diagonal timbers would make a 'belt and braces' job.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
I top my base boards with 6 or 9 mm mdf to stop any sagging. I find the mdf easy to work with and cheap. But be careful with mdf as it likes water. I seal all my woodwork with cheap varnish to protect it from moisture. However my layout is also in the lift so this is a little bit more important for me

Keep up the good work
Jim

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Wow!  Jim - you have a lift?

All stand.  This man is seriously loaded.  :cool wink

Posted
Rating:
Silly fingers I ment to write loft I would like a lift it would make getting in the loft a lot easier

Jim

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:mutley

Posted
Rating:
I just finished laughing at the layout in the lift when I saw an Ad in the paper for a cabinet with a grass door.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.