Layout Town

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Peter, there is lot nowdays in Australian outline ERTR & kits but nowhere as much as UK outline.

Brisbane, posibly due to the climate but Aussietrains may know a lot more than me.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
In fact with careful planning, a bloke could change his layout over once a year from Aussie buildings & railways to USA outline & back - gives a good excuse for more locos :mrgreen:
I have a mate who has two complete sets of rolling stock and buildings - UK and USA.  He changes them every six months or so.

Anyway, I digress.

The street lights are in and connected to the grid.

The lamps are a scale 30 feet above the roadway.  I have decided not to have power and telephone poles as well.  I think it will make it look too cluttered.

I'm going to run the power cables from the lamp posts.

Posted
Rating:
I don't envy you reaching over that lot to work on the buildings, Max.

Looking good though.

http://dddioramas.webs.com/

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Pete.  I'm working on a six pack.  :lol:

Posted
Rating:
You'll have to post a pic. for the ladies, Max.

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:mutley

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
OK.   I've popped the buildings back in place and run the grid cables.

Here's another shot - hopefully showing a bit more detail . . .

The neon sign on the Cafe has died, and I've got a replacement coming - plus one for the Shamrock Hotel.  The next job is to go through and hard wire the internal and external lighting for the buildings - except for those two, which will be wired up once the neon signs have been fitted.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Very, very effective Max, you must be well pleased.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Bob.  I am - and looking forward to completion.

Posted
Rating:
Great stuff.

Cars and utes with headlights?
A lady of the night leaning against a lamp post?
Hobos around a fire on waste ground?

Is there no end to your talents?

11 + 2 = 12 + 1

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
All things are possible, my son.   ;-)

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
:pathead coz a well done job exclam:

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Cheerz.

Posted
Rating:
Looking better all the time Max - better stop working on it soon or you may decide to keep it......

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Dave.  The other day I sat down and drew up a track plan for my "dream" new layout.  Then I looked at this layout - they are almost identical!  :shock:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I though I'd jump into the helicopter and do a fly past the town of Monroe.

Daylight - so no lights on.  The usual warning for the lactose intolerant applies . . .

The stacks of pipes, timber, pallets, tyres and drums still haven't arrived.  Some of the vehicles are very new and need weathering.  Lots of random stuff still to go - including people, fire hydrant, post box, et al.

I want to put in some trees on the open ground nearest to the camera as well.

The lights (inside and outside), are all wired up - as are the signs.

Gratuitous and repetitive I know, but I got bored waiting for some glue to dry on a boxcar.  :oops:

Well, I did warn you that it was going to be cheesy. 

Feel free to look at someone else's thread.  :thud

Posted
Rating:
You have a great looking town there, Max. Was it all carefully planned, or has it grown as you have purchased more building kits? I seem to remember seeing somewhere mention of a town in a box, but I am not sure if that was you or someone else.

I see that the local enforcement officer has stopped by a stranded motorist, or is he checking that there are no diamonds hidden in the carburettor?

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, Geoff.  Yes, the buildings are from my Town in a Box thread - plus the green shed which hides the gubbins from the welder and the carport, which are both scratch built.  I'm not much good at scenery, but I have been able to make a reasonable fist of it using the kit - plus the added bits like down pipes and the weathering I've learned on YMR.

The cameo with the police car will look better when I get some figures on there.  The kit comes with a big bag of miscellaneous bibs and bobs - like the rubbish bins by the cafe.  They'll help to dress it up a bit.

Once I'm happy with it, I'd like to make a small video which pans across, showing the neon signs going through their respective sequences - and maybe the welder flashing through the window of the engineering works.

Posted
Rating:
That look excellent Max. :thumbs

I was going to comment on the Police car and raised bonnet (hood) on the car but Geoff beat me to it.  If I send you my wheel size, will you ask if that tyre depot has one that will fit ?  A great little addition to the detail and one that very few would think of doing

If, by saying you're no good at scenery, you were fishing for compliments, it worked !!! A superb little town bursting with potential cameos once your "clutter" arrives. :pathead:pathead

Really looking forward to seeing the vid. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Gee Whiz Max, I think you are too hard on yourself. The layout looks great!

Looking at your photos here another thought comes to mind. I was taking a close look at the roofs on all of your buildings. Those are things we don't normally see in real life, and when I look at the roofs I have done, I keep wanting to do something more to them, but I don't know what to do.

They are a large expanse with virtually nothing in them. I know, they have a few pipes and chimneys, but also a lot of open flat nothingness, if you understand what I'm saying.

The roofs are a world on top of our little world and I would like to spruce them up a bit, but just have not come up with what to do.

I hope this doesn't steel your thread, if it does, we'll start a new one.

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.