Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

Stu's Tumbledown Shed.

I am watching !!

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
How did you get the relief effect on the brick walls Stu - it looks good ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
How did you get the relief effect on the brick walls Stu - it looks good ?
I've not done anything to the plasticard, that's how it comes. It is, I think, 2mm scale, not 4mm scale, as I wanted smaller stones. The window lintel is from the same sheet, but on in reverse ( as you said there is very little detail on this side) and the blocks above the lintel are from another sheet. The upper row of blocks has had extra mortar joins added with a knife.

Last edit: by Stubby47

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
I am watching !!
:thumbs

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Posted
Rating:
I meant on the right hand side Stu - the "brown" part.  Some bricks are proud and others sunken - a good effect. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Clear as crystal up till now Stu.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
This project has been added to the forum index under Buildings and Scratchbuilding.

Posted
Rating:
The first splatter of acrylic paints has produced this:

The grey part has been added, then wiped, then added again and wiped, then finally gone over with the end of a paper clip to scratch the mortar joins back to white and to give some patchyness to the blocks.

The stone wall has had a wash of earthy-browny-mustardy colour, with some white and dark red added in places, then individual bricks have been picked out in another selection of shades of the same colours. The rest of the building, inside and both ends, has had a basic wash of sludgey-grey to prvode a base coat.

I'm not happy with the regularness of the brick work between the smaller door and the window, the original is far more rougher and irregular. One option is to cover this area in a thin skim of DAS or similar, then carve a more uneven surface 7 re-paint.

Posted
Rating:
[user=2]Robert[/user] wrote:
This project has been added to the forum index under Buildings and Scratchbuilding.
:oops::cool::mrgreen:

Posted
Rating:
Further musings….

A more square-on and cropped view of the left hand end of the shed highlights some more areas to consider for detailing.

The bricks in the window frame will be cut out from either a Scalescene's print, or a home-made bespoke job, before the window filling corrugated iron is added.

The rusty iron/metal bar supporting the lower edge of the corrugated iron cladding will be a piece of plasticard, shaped and painted before adding.

The post supporting the telephone insulators (who'd have put a phone in THIS shed ???) can be made from a matchstick, with some isulators cut from a standard 4mm scale telelgraph pole.

The large beam supporting the roof can be made from a either a lollipop stick or a coffee stirrer.

Most of the bottom parts of the walls are covered in brambles or ivy - this will help bed the model into the sub-baseboard and should also improve the transition from model to realistic model.

Last edit: by Stubby47

Posted
Rating:
Sometimes you get a feeling that something you've done is not quite right.
The front wall was far too neat and tidy, so most of it has come off.
The left hand blockwork will be replaced by individual paper rectangles and the irregular stone wall will be represented by slivers of plasticard.
Hopefully this won't take too long…

Posted
Rating:
The front wall has now been re-covered and just needs painting.

I'm a lot happier with this now. The blocks to the left side are the 'chad' from a binding machine, the stones in the middle section are slivers of paper or card, stuck on individually.

Posted
Rating:
We're all a lot happier with that Stu !!

A much better representation of the original but I don't envy you sticking all those chads and paper bricks on :shock::shock:

I seem to remember Alan Downes did his brickwork using the, now obsolete,  computer chads and they looked wonderful although I suspect he could have built the prototype in quicker time !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Once you get going, it's mildly theraputic… I did the whole side whilst watching the last Harry Potter movie on DVD, accompanied by a glass of Magner's cider.

Posted
Rating:
A first slap of paint gives this - I'll need to add a lot more subtle colour variation to get the 'correct' look, but it's far, far better than the previous attempt.

(I hope some of you are having a go at your own model….)

Posted
Rating:
Stu,
I am also watching this closely I think you made the right decision when you removed the front panel and did it over.

I have two small old buildings that have bricks that have crumbled, so I am really learning here. I may be starting them sooner than I thought I would be!

Wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.

Posted
Rating:
Wayne, All I can say is have a go, it's only bits of card and some paint.

And if it looks too neat, get Ianbo to build it for you ;-).

I've started to tone down the brickwork - though I still think the colour is too dark compared to the original. I've also added the roof supporting beam and the small doorway lintel - both made from strips of cardboard.

Posted
Rating:
For cardboard, those lintels look fantastic Stu. :pathead

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I've now added the corrugated iron cladding to the front and left side, and the infill for the window.

Just the roof to do for the building, plus the final little bits of detailing, then it's on to the surrounding groundworks.

The clading was first given a wash of light cream, then some orrangy rusty colour was added then mostly wiped off again. I also washed some light grey over small areas as well. 

Posted
Rating:
I gotta tell you Stu, this is looking very good! I have to keep going back and looking at your previous pictures to try and remember how your doing it.

wayne

My Layout "The South Shore Line":
http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=509&forum_id=21
This video/animation was made in Adobe Flash Player, which is no longer supported or available for download.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.